Quakes Centipede in the Bay to Breakers

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Openthegate, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Photos are up!

It was a fantastic time and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to do it next year. When I first heard about the idea, I didn't think I would participate -- didn't want to try running 7 miles with the BAQF in tow. That was a misconception on my part, though -- we walked, slowly, and only went about 2.5 miles with the flag. It's easy and doesn't require a great deal of exertion (good news for those of us older than even Goodsport...) Really a fun time. (And yes -- we should be handing out pocket schedules next year.)

Oh, and for anyone who wants to print out a photo, PM me and I'll send you the original image file. Photos were taken with an 8 megapixel Sony F828 so the pix you're seeing online are much, much smaller than the originals.

"Everywhere we go-o..."

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you all meet up with the Smurfs? That woulda been hilarious. :D

Thanks for the pics!!

3. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but talk about your photo op. Although, as I was going through the live broadcast, I did keep seeing folks who we did meet up with.

My favorite part of the live broadcast, the three women who were part of the "feminist art project".

They were dressed as vulvas.

Actually, they were very well done, artistic, fabric representations of vulvas.

I also loved the fact that KRON started to interview them, then realized they were crossing FCC guidelines, then cut away mid interview. I forgot what the last question was, but the answer was, "WE'RE VAGINAS!!!" Instant cut away to Golden Gate Park. :)

Someone in KRON probably lost their job for that one.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it was great fun. I would dub the Bay to Breakers as Castro District Hallowe'en Mobile. I enjoyed the free beer I mooched off of several keg jockeys (wasn't all Budweiser, TG). Being positioned at right back gave plenty of opportunities to talk to and kid with people, several to whom I got to explain what we were all about and what the San Jose Earthquakes are. I second Guy's suggestion on more people, at least a few more: 15-20 would be nice. We might change positions, to ease the imbalance of holding the flag with the same arm all the time. The BAQF's size meant that it covered almost the entire street, especially when we entered Hays St. and communications is hindered, especially when you're engaged in friendly conversation with passers-by. I just wish we could have got an overhead helicopter shot of the BAQF, and since Radnich was one of the hosts for KRON4, we could tell them that it represented a team in his favorite sport. ;) Thanks to everyone who participated.

5. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    We had at least six more people who couldn't catch up with you because (A.) They were a little late and the flag left a little early and (B) the group quit before Hayes Hill (where more people live and most of the fun starts.)

Nevertheless it was a good showing and a good start. Props to you guys who got this off the ground.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad. Next time I hope we all get together.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    OMG! Guy did the centiped!!!???? Well, heck, if he can do it, even I could!!! :D

8. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of what I was trying to say: I was concerned that I wasn't in good enough shape to run seven miles but that's not even something to worry about. We walked, slowly, for 2.5 miles and then split up. (I've walked more quickly uphill on backpacking trips carrying a 30 pound load.) This was not at all physically demanding.

And it was a complete blast. I'm not sure I'd want to bring any pre-teen children along but other than that, there's nobody at the usual tailgate who wouldn't be an excellent candidate for next year. I'd like to get 50-100 people out there -- a dozen in shifts carrying the flag, everybody in blue. Maybe we could have our own keg-on-wheels so that Albany58 wouldn't have to mooch beer from strangers. :D

9. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hey, I did offer to pony up a keg for this to hopefully entice others to join us, but it never seemed to catch on. I'll publicly state that I'm willing to donate one if we do it again next year !!!

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I place in nomination the name of T. Beerking as the one to drive and operate it. That's probably the only way you'd get him into The City. :D

11. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You rock Jay! Thanks for the pics.

He'll be giving the beers and hawking loogies at the freaks... Oh and he'll be carrying the beads as well... The wrong people were undressed! I can fire them up high into the window... (Note to T. Beerking: charge $50 to the frat boys and sorority gals who would stop at nothing at getting beer...!) :D

And, if my legs conk out, you guys are carrying me--I'm starting and finishing the entire walk with the rest of the gang... :p

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a time near and north of the Panhandle when we seemed to be totally surrounded by Freddie FratRats and Suzie Sowhores chugging and other forms of binge boozing. Nothing changes.......:p

13. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you say that--I saw my brothers' buddy hanging out at the very same area and the dude was his usual drunken self. In fact he didn't show up at the bowling alley later that night. :D

However, I got his picture to use as blackmail on him and my bro's kids, which is even better when I saw him at the family wedding a few years back and he stole the show... He can redeem himself by signing up on the boards and taking on all the muck that we deal with from the other teams... :D

and memo to T. Beerking, he's our full enforcer for next year and resident beer price gouger... only drinking I'll do is at the Kezar or Mad Dog... :D

-----
    Now, did our BAQF make the news? That would be the clincher!

14. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Click forward several frames and you'll see the "Tits not Targets" duo who were red-carded by our referee friends.

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Click back one and you can see Smurfette looking waaaay smurfy.

17. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had to be done. Go to one of the events on May 1 and you'll find me, and go several sections and you'll find the "12 Galaxies" guy, and etc etc...

OK, OK... I'm getting carried away...

-----
    I'm still looking for those who were dressed up either "Velma" from the Scooby Doo, or anything pertaining to "Vote for Pedro". Those really were common at this year's event.

And yes, more of the Riot Squad. :D

18. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem, I'l ignore that remark.

19. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82