Quakes - CD Alavés (8/8/05) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by quakesfan10, Jul 15, 2005.

1. QuakePaola

QuakePaola New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    San Francisco
    Re: San Jose Earthquakes - Club Deportivo Alavés (Monday, 8/8) pregame thread

Awwww, looks like the Rooks got smacked- not too bad though, they got one in. I guess we got to watch out for a guy called 'Nene' ---their 'pichichi' of the pre-season..

2. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues

this team is from the BASQUE region of Spain. Completely different from "Spain"...or at least in the true Basque countrymen frame of mind.

I am hopeful we have a big turnout from our Bay Area and Central Valley Basque community. Maybe I should wear my el encierro red neck scarf. I heard these players are fast like those bulls from their Pamplona.

3. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
  4. QuakePaola

QuakePaola New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    San Francisco

He he! by a Leprechaun! :D that has to be one of the longest beards in soccer. Good to hear they had a nice turnout, Alaves mentioned it in their page.

5. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA

And the connection to the Quakes....Chris Wondolowski played for the Chico Rooks last year and was the team MVP (according to his bio on the Quakes site).

And some of the guys on the Rooks are guys he played with at Chico State (including Jesse Grigg, the player in the picture who got two yellow cards in the game last night; and Dominic Jakubek, who was the goalie).

"Chico Rooks Forward Drafted by San Jose"

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I got a little too much on my plate to catch this one. See you guys on Saturday.

(and no, it's not because the Crew lost)

8. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suppose there is no audio for this one? :(

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Then you must be enjoying one HELL of a hangover!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell...

10. Norteamericoya

Dec 24, 2003
    Chico
    Hey, I won't be using my bonus game ticket for this one. If anyone wants it, let me know. I can probably locate a second one fairly easily too, if that matters.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
  12. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Based on the article in the Merc, we're going to see something like what Dom did up in Portland tonight. Probably Russell and O'Rourke in the starting lineup, Conway in goal, wonder if Mullan might start at forward again. The defense is really thin, assuming that Cochrane is still hurt and Goldthwaite doesn't come down from Portland for the night (unlikely, as Portland is playing Wednesday at Montreal) then the only defensive subs on the bench are Aloisi and Rodriguez. Maybe Brett will get his first action tonight. But I'd expect the starting defensive four to be the "usual lineup" of Gray, Califf, Robinson and Barrett.

Probably see some of Wondolowski in the midfield and Nash at forward off the bench. Beyond that, probably will still see quite a bit of the regular starters.

Should be a fun game to watch.