Quakes - CD Alavés (8/8/05) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by quakesfan10, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Jose Earthquakes - Club Deportivo Alavés (Monday, 8/8) pregame thread

Yep, already got the ticket, so..... Monday evening beer time. ;)

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is good stuff. Top division European clubs are noticing the advantageous opportunities to come here for their preseasons and play against our own clubs. Hopefully, that means growing respect. Just do what y'all did to Sporting Lisbon. Go get 'em, Quakes!

3. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope.

4. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Pat may be hopping. As I recall, he often puts his arms up and hops a few times before defending a corner - may be his way of protecting his space.

5. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Yeah, but the guy who kicked Sporting's ass was Landon Whathizface.

6. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

No, he is just practicing the Y.M.C.A. dance in case we invite the Village People on the 70's Night.

Btw, I've heard that Doyle is busy growing the mullet back for this Sat's game.

7. Jungle VIT

Jungle VIT New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Vitoria-Gasteiz

Do not expect many Spanish supporting Alaves. This team comes from a county with 300000 population. Homeground, Mendizorroza can host until 20.000 people.

I think is a good touch to test your performance. In my opinion you should win Alaves as they will be in a training period.

Anyway I hope you to watch a good match.

[​IMG]

8. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA

A friend of mine wrote a book some years ago that analyzed trends in American culture via a study of demographics. As a Spanish-American, I asked him why people like me weren't represented in his book. He said you had to make up 1% of the population before you were considered. Which is to say that no, there is not a big Spanish population in the USA. Which isn't what you asked.

My family came from Andalucia in the late 1910s, settling into Antioch, which is on the edges of the Bay Area. As a kid growing up in the 50s-60s, I can remember the house my grandmother lived in, which was the same house her husband built back in the 20s. There were a few Spanish families living near my grandmother ... those were the only Spanish people I knew growing up. Which is to say that no, there was no big Spanish population in that part of the Bay Area when I was a kid.

Let's put it this way. When I grew up, Antioch had white people and brown people (de facto segregation meant there were no black people until the 70s). My skin color was neither white nor brown ... not having anything which with to compare, I thought my skin was yellow, and I used to wonder if I had some disease like jaundice. I had heard of the term "olive-colored skin" but didn't know what it meant. It was a big surprise when I first visited Spain and found out most of the people there looked like me. Which is to say that no, there is not a big Spanish population in the Bay Area that I am aware of.

You can buy jamon serrano at the Spanish Table in Berkeley, though ...

9. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about calamares and Cruzcampo though ? :)

10. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

I'm not 100% sure I agree, but I only have one season ticket and don't want to fork out for the wife & son for this game, and drive down on a Monday night from Sac.

So, PM me if you want my ticket. No charge, maybe buy me a beer at the August 13 game (the next time I'm down).

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Alaves will also play in Chico against the Rooks on August 2nd:

12. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

More info.:

Alaves arrive tomorrow from Spain and returns August 9.

Wednesday night (7/27) Alaves play a U23 CSAN Select team in S.F. (probably/possibly in Kezar-- but no publicity AFAIK).

8/2 - Alaves play Chico.
    8/3 - Alaves play Fresno (?).
    8/8 - Alaves play San Jose.

Owner Dmitry Piterman, a U.S. citizen, has substantial Bay Area connections.

Piterman went to Cal, still has number 9 mark all-time, attained in 1986, among Cal triple-jumpers (yes, track and field). Formerly resided in or around Palo Alto with wife Milanendra Vikram Singh (a son born in 1994 while they lived there). He has bounced around a number of Spanish clubs as owner/manager/president/coach. Possibly retains his "official" U.S. residence in Berkeley.

He is contemplating starting a future US team "Alaves USA". No wonder, given his strong Bay Area and U.S. connections.

13. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Piterman bars media from talking to Alaves players during their training in California:

14. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

For those of you in San Francisco or nearby (or passing through :) ), I have confirmed that Alaves will be training tonight and possibly tomorrow night at Kezar. Tonight should be a scrimmage against CSAN's Select (U-23) team, but I will try to confirm that as well.

Members of the public can enter the stadium and watch. No paid admission/restricted access. They have simply rented the field (and presumably locker rooms) for training.

Note: There WILL be a scrimmage tonight against CSAN Select. Game time is 6:00 pm.

15. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, Pat is 6'4"---pretty tall!

16. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Alaves is bringing 25 of the 32 players who have been training with (or at least on the roster of) the team. 3 of the 7 who are not coming are injured, 1 is not yet signed to a contract and someone with better translation skills can tell us about the other 3:

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/20050724/NOTICIA200044675.html

17. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

Ticket taken.

18. mr moosers

mr moosers New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Washington D.C.
    Re: Earthquakes To Host Deportivo Alavés (8/8/05)

heck yea plus everyone even the non-soccer loving populus agrees.
    there is nothing better than monday night football.. exept maybe boxing day NOTHINg is better than boxing day

19. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose

sooo true..... no matter how horrible your Christmas was. there is ALWAYS boxing day...every Prem. team plays...ahhh :D

20. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have two tickets available - PM me if interested.

21. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Last night's result:

http://www.glorioso.net/partido.php?clave=1225

Alaves could have scored twice as many goals.

Just watching them, and taking into account the level of opponent last night, the Quakes will definitely have their hands full on August 8.

22. QuakePaola

QuakePaola New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    San Francisco

I live by Kezar so I wantched Alaves practice yesterday, no little guys among them, they looked like a robust team..the locals were annoyed they couldn't have the field but the groundskeeper lady said "we need the money!" :rolleyes:

23. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF

Are they practicing tonight as well? I might walk down and see them if they are.

24. QuakePaola

QuakePaola New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    San Francisco

Did you go? are they playing the Rooks tonight?? just dress warm people! I caught a cold out there when the fog rolled in & I only watched them for a few minutes.

25. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Alaves play the Rooks (NPSL) in Chico tonight and then the Fuego (PDL) in Fresno tomorrow night.