Quakes/Burn (7/7) Pre-Match

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Roblar, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    first - Blue, I see that you usually start these threads, so I'm sorry to jump the gun on you, but I'd rather look forward than backward :mad: at the moment. Hope you understand!

Basically, we've got a "relegation" match coming up against the Burn. (Yes, "relegation" in the sense that if we finish last, we don't get to participate in the post-season "league"...) I know it's still early, and I know we've got games in hand, on the guys up top, but I'd just as soon stay out of last place.

No Mullan. But the Burn have no Kreis. Question: did the soccer gods give Mullan a red to even out the weak red-card given to Kreis? A: NO! That was just horrible officiating in action again. What gives!?!?!

I, for one, have LOTS of questions about this upcoming game:

For us, DeRo and Ching didn't click. I don't know why, but they just didn't work well together. On the other hand, LD works well with anyone -- anywhere on the field. Is it time to put him back up top with either Ching (my choice) or DeRo (who I would still like to see get a start as our left mid-fielder)?

Is it time for DeRo to be given another run out as a super-sub?

Does Ekelund get a start again? (And if so, where does this put LD?)

Will Dunnivant appear at left back again? (And will Corrales move up to left-midfield?)

Will Russell fill Mullan's spot? Or will we see Brown on the field again?

Who sits when Agoos returns? Hart or Waibel?

Is this post too long? (YES - stops typing)

2. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    We should win this match to preserve our spot in the standings and go from there. We have games on hand which we could capitalize on. Wednesday's match (apart from my desire to win the trip to Hawaii) is a MUST win for the lads.

Let's forget what happened in LA and move on.

3. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    with no Mullan, drop DeRo to right or left midfield, slot LD up top with Ching and bring Ekelund back in to the center to team up with Richard...

a midfield with Alvarez and Russell does not really intimadate anyone....to many questions and easily exposed weaknesses....

onstad
    hart-waibel-cochrane-corrales
    dero-ekelund-mulrowney-alvarez
    ching-ld

agoos sits out this one so he can play on saturday....

4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I was with you all the way until you posted the line-up, then I felt the need to tweak it. I agree that DeRo and Ching just don't mesh. FY had Yallop at left mid in the friendly, I think Dom should try him there as that spot is currently a black hole.

Ching LD
    DeRo Ekelund Mulrooney Russell
    Corrales/Dunivant Cochrane Waibel Hart
    Onstad

If Goos is a go, then slide Waibel to the right and get Hart off the field.

5. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Alternative line-ups have been speeding through my head so quickly I can't get any work done (in fact, my previous fave was jsut like due time's, but with Brown in for Russell). Here's my line-up of the minute:

--------DeRo--Ching
    -Corrales--Eke--Mulrooney--LD
    Dunni--Agoos--Cochrane--Hart
    ----------Onstad

What I like:
    People may freak out about LD on the wing, but I don't think it's a mistake. Our style of play opens up space in the wings, and I like the idea of LD getting the ball with a bit more room to move and attack the goal. Also, if the Burn really double up on him, then that just gives us space in the middle of the field. With this line-up, Hart should stay at home a bit more, but LD has shown that he has wheels, and can get back and be a pest on D as well.

The other think I like is that Dunnivant and Agoos are on the field. Agoos makes us a VERY dangerous team on any corner/free kick, and Dunnivant's long throws give us a threat any time the ball goes out on the left sideline (from the half on). Also, Dunnivant (last year) made great overlapping runs, crossed the ball well, and even took a few shots, and Corrales will do a solid job covering for him when he gets forward.

What I don't like:
    ...I kind of feel bad for relegating Waibel to the bench - he's just all heart and I'd like to see him play even if he drives me crazy at times. :( I just kind of see him and Hart at an impass... Oddly, despite recent form, I trust Hart's short-passing game more than Waibel's.
    ...I think Alvarez should get more playing time. BUT: I could see him coming in as a sub for Dunni or Hart (and then pushing Corrales back to D).
    ...I'd also like to get Brown some more minutes. BUT: I could see him coming in between 60-70 minutes for either Ching, DeRo (a who's hot? who's not? at the 60-75 min mark), or Hart (if we need a goal).

6. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Didn't Hart used to play midfield? If so, I've been, er, less than thrilled by Corrales recently, and I'd rather have Waibel back there than Corrales at mid. So what about something like...

--------DeRo--------Ching
    Hart---Ekelund----Mulrooney---LD
    Dunivant--Agoos--Cochrane--Waibel
    --------------Onstad

Although this does have the old-man-combo (Ekelund and Goose next to each other) I think there's enough speed around to make up for it (it's also faster than a center with Goose, Ekelund, and Cowboy).

If it's not working, especially with DeRo/Ching, maybe push LD up top and pull DeRo down to mid, I did like him there, and maybe Landon would be inspired to finish something. Who knows, maybe shaking things up a little would help?

7. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Yes, but why not just bring Brown off the bench - I don't think he's listed as injured, so he should be available. (...Unless you were thinking Hart would provide better D...)

8. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Or bring Brown off the bench ;)

Sorry, I'm losing track of who's injured or out for whatever other reasons. Man, and for all our talk last season about how our team was so deep we could last through anything.

9. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that the Galaxy started out too many games ahead of everybody else and the Quakes are three games behind schedule at this point is very strange. I wouldn't worry about the current standings. I predict seven points from the next three games. Win against the Burn, and one win and one draw from the games against the Metrostars and Colorado and you're back in the races again. The other teams have injury problems, too.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking forward to this game now. Time to move on. I'm sure the players are. Hopefully we're going to, once, again, come out gunnin' and runnin' and take it to them early and don't let up. I want goals, goals, goals,.....and a freakin' shutout!

It's time we stop messing around and defend our championship the way a champion is supposed to.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, all I know is the missus and I are going and it's been too damn long since I've been at Spartan. We also have tickets in the north end zone (south?) for the first time and so we'll be sitting by the casbah for the first time. hell, we might even join in the fun.

also, i'm still pissy abou the mullan red card. I watched the game over at a friend's house during his fourth of july party and I had a lot of nonsoccer fans watching with me. good game for them to see, lots of action and intensity. two or three said they want to check 'em out live. but I saw some of them today, two days later, and these people who had never seen a soccer match before were still mad that mullan got red carded. they're learning.

12. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Brown is the forgotten man on this side...I am guilty of this crime...with Mullan out, Brown should be starting if he is healthy....

13. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    The Quakes definitely need the win...not only to stay up in the standings and regain some shaky confidence but to get back in a "winning" groove, not just ties or losses.

Usually I hate the weeknight games for the personal reason that I already have 90 miles to travel and don't relish doing so in commute traffic. However, IMO, this one is a blessing for the Quakes because they DO need to wash away the bad taste of the LA loss as quickly as possible and move on. Playing 4 days later allows them to do that--better still, at home.

I only hope they can keep it going when they travel to face Metro without LD, Mullan and Ching.

14. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000

The U.S. soccer site implies that everyone who was called up for the game has arrived in Chicago. Will Ching and Donovan fly back for the mid-week game?

15. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually, it said that Mullan will be going late this afternoon b/c of his red card suspension and LD and Ching will fly out Thursday morning after the Dallas game.

16. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I think the ussoccer site said something like "All the players who have been called up are in Chicago." Then the article on the Quakes page of MLSnet said roughly, "LD, Mullan, and Ching will join the Nats after the Dallas game."

I'm going with the MLSnet site. I figure LD and Ching (and maybe Mullan) are still with the team. I'm not sure how this affects Mullan and the nats and his red card.

Question: if he joins the Nats early does that mean that he will have to sit his suspension later (the game AFTER the Metro game)?

17. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    This is my understanding of the situation...taken from ussoccer.com

"THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN: The U.S. Men's National Team returned to Chicago for the first time in 11 years when they rolled the ball out for training Monday evening downtown....San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Brian Mullan arrives in Chicago later this afternoon, while teammates Landon Donovan and Brian Ching join Dallas Burn defender Cory Gibbs in traveling Thursday morning. The Polish side lands in Chicago on Thursday afternoon."

BTW Isn't the Dallas game Mullan's suspension? I'm pretty sure that it is. That's why he went to Nats training early instead of waiting for LD and Ching.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    The Quakes can argue that had it not been for the red card, Mullan would be playing in the Dallas game, just like his fellow called-up Quake teammates Donovan and Ching will be doing. Therefore, the Dallas game will count as his suspended game and Mullan will be eligible to play in the Colorado game on July 17.

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that!

"As difficult as winning a championship is, it is not the ultimate proof of a team's success...the true champion is the team or individual that can defend its championship the following season." -- Vince Lombardi

21. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your team's next league match is always the one you sit out due to suspension. It doesn't matter whether you would have missed it anyway due to injury, National Team commitments, your brother's wedding, etc.

Hey, this should be a good one for all those starving students in the Ultras. Not only is the South Endzone open, but tickets at that end are priced at $6! Plus dollar dogs and sodas. Fellow South Endzoners will be thankful it's not dollar beers...

Question: Quakes jersey or Hawaiian shirt?

22. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Un-buttoned Hawaiian shirt over Quake jersey......preferrably a blue hawaiian shirt.

23. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Not entirely true. If a player gets a red card prior to a National Team call-up, his one-game suspension will occur after he reports back from NT duty. MLS instituted this change before the season began, probably in response to CJ Brown and Ryan Suarez being added to the the US National team ONLY after each player received red cards in their games prior to the US-Wales match-up last season.

If Ching or Donovan were to receive a red card tonight, that player would have to sit out the July 17 game against Colorado.