Quakes 2021 preseason thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jeff_adams, Feb 11, 2021.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Or he works for the IRS?

davez repped this.
  3. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beerking repped this.
  4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Things can’t get much worse for Soccer here in Fresno. Fresno State ended the men’s soccer program years ago. Fresno FC folded a year ago. We used to get quite a few exhibition MLS games but I don’t see those happening anytime soon.

Hopefully popping over to see the Quakes is an option this year.

markmcf8, TyffaneeSue and BCaso18 repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Almeyda likes to do his own thing in preseason. His preferred method is to push his team hard by running in heavy sand. I’m not sure he cares how many games they play as long as he can get them fit for man to man marking.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I know Matias is going thru a tough thing with his family now, and maybe Omar will need to run training at first, but they may want to consider doing some things a little differently this year. In both 2019 and 2020 the Quakes came out of the gate very poorly. We were extremely lucky to draw Toronto in the opener last year, and then just got pasted by MNU in the next game. And those were home games. You're supposed to win your home games in MLS. 2019 was even much worse. We were probably lucky last season was suspended at that point. Maybe there is a balance between pure fitness and game play against solid competition. A few more games against MLS competition?

Sactown Soccer, markmcf8, NedZ and 2 others repped this.
  7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Given that MA has shown no inclination whatsoever to do things differently in THE SECOND HALF OF GAMES what on earth makes you think they would consider doing things differently during the offseason???

markmcf8, mjlee22 and Beerking repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Preseason strategy is long-range / meta whereas game-time strategy is highly short term / micro. With the time in the offseason it's possible he's reflected on how they've been doing preseason, and might consider changes, but not counting on it necessarily.

9. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    My condolences, friend. We certainly know what it feels like to lose a team.

Give a heads up before you pop over and I'll (and I'm sure many others on this site) buy you a cold one!

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I just heard that the Quakes are taking about 17 academy players from thier U20 squad to Santa Barbara. Should make it easier to rotate scrimmage teams in and out, plus protect guys that need to heal up from minor knocks.

I'm hoping a few of the younger guys can impress the coaching staff and maybe they will add some more homegrown players.

markmcf8, Beckham7, jnldaddy and 2 others repped this.
  11. TectonicTakes

TectonicTakes New Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    Uruguay
    Sep 26, 2020
    With the money from our Patreon we decided to support a local artist
    If you want to join our Patreon to help us make more content for the community, here is the link https://patreon.com/TectonicTakes 100% goes back into making Earthquakes content!

Attached Files:

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    TyffaneeSue and Beerking repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.:D

mjlee22, Beerking, bsman and 1 other person repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should smoke two joints.

Beerking, bsman, staudio and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In the morning, at night, in the afternoon, in times of peace and times of war, before you smoke two joints, and then two more?

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    bsman, QuakeAttack and markmcf8 repped this.
  17. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    In terms of defensive duties and contributions, Judson is better than all of those on that list, however, the area where all of them are superior to Judson is their ball playing ability and distribution. Now, should that be an overriding criteria when looking at defensive midfielder? In this day and age, I would argue yes.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conventionally speaking, the #6 is a defensive midfielder who does the hard, dirty work, breaking up plays, intercepting passes, which Judson excels at. The attributes you think should override that are more associated with a #8, the role Yueill has with the Quakes. Now, all things being equal defensively, if you want to make those attributes the tiebreaker, I could agree.

Beerking repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you think the Quakes talk about winning and lifting trophies, or “let’s finish seventh eighth ninth and squeak into the playoffs”?

athletics68 repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #122 JazzyJ, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Apples to apples, coach to coach, this does not sound dissimilar to Almeyda speak.

The ultra-competitive Almeyda could hate to lose more than he loves to win. He said he came to San Jose to win a championship, like he did at Chivas Guadalajara, Banfield and River Plate.

“When I came here it’s because I believe in a project of one day being champion,” Almeyda said. “I haven’t come on vacation. I’ve come to work. And I like to win. It makes me very angry to lose, and it makes me very angry to lose the way we lost today.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...n-jose-earthquakes-loss-sees-big-change-worse

Now at the same time, talk is cheap. Very, very difficult to win a championship in MLS, though even last year, as awful as the Quakes were at times, they played the #1 seed even or better on the road in the playoffs. So win that game and a few more wins and they could have done it. But the odds are slim regardless, just due to the math, let alone the roster.

And talk is also cheap when you're coming off of 4th place out of 5 finish in your division in USL and you've never come anywhere near winning a championship as a coach. Not as cheap for Ian Russell, who had Reno at 11-2 - the best record in the league. Unfortunately that ship has sailed.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    no. it would be nice, just once.

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    mjlee22, bsman, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a side-note: What if next year that team becomes Los Angeles Loyal SC? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G