QPR 2013/2014 - The Matches [R]

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR Kevin H, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible news from this week's game:

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/300114-austin-sidelined-1328821.aspx

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So I guess Julio Cesar is going to continue not to see game action?

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct. QPR has given up 20 goals in 28 league games, less than any other team in the league, so we're not likely to change keepers anytime soon. I'm perplexed that Cesar apparently has so little interest in finding playing time.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #56 Mengão86, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks. Cesar's main issue with finding interest is he doesn't not want to lower his salaries. The National Team coach already guaranteed a spot for him at WC, so he has no incentive really.

Another question -- was there some sort of DMV QPR convention I missed out on? Every poster here is from the region (you, @QPR Kevin H and @DylanPresman ).

7. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

We're here, we're there, we're every-f*cking-where... we're QPR. WE'RE QPR!
    :whistling:

Atouk repped this.
  8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm booked for a quick trip over for the QPR v. Yeovil Town match at Loftus Road on March 15th!

alfredstifsim and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  9. alfredstifsim

alfredstifsim Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    I was gonna go to that one but got a chance to visit my friend in San Francisco instead.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    congrats. I'm going to be over for the North London Derby on the sunday (and for the spurs/benfica on the Thursday prior, if we can get the job done vs dnipro **crosses fingers**), and am thinking about doing loftus road on the Saturday, myself.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Jealous of you two. Can't believe it's been three years since my last visit to HQ :(

12. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-2 loss today at Brighton. Burnley plays at a weak Birmingham tomorrow. Could be 12 points back tomorrow (with 1 game in hand). :(

13. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Speculation growing that the season is being tanked because the club doesn't want to pay a £50+ million fine to play in the Premier League next season. Since they'd be subject to the Prem's stricter debt penalties.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/qpr-debt-177m-report-premier-league-relegation

Frankly, I think going back to the Premier League would be another disaster for the club. Probably best to spend another season in the League and clear more of the horrendous contracts off the books. Even with all things being equal, I don't like our chances in the playoffs when you look at the terrible record against the other top ten clubs this season.

14. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's about the cost of a wedding. I'm pretty sure the Mittals have it to spare. :)

How much better will it get? Cesar will still be on the books. :( Next year will be Barton's 4th of 4, so he'll still be around. I believe this is just year 2 of 4 for Granero, so he'll be on the books unless we find a buyer. This is year 3 of 4 for Diakite. Onuoha is completing 2 1/2 years of a 4 1/2 year deal, so he'll be in the squad. Taarabt is under contract until June 2016, so we'll have to shift him.

Who else goes off? Wright-Phillips is in year 3 of 3. This is Luke Young's 3rd year of 3. I believe this is Traore's 3rd of 3. This is Andy Johnson's 2nd of 2. I think this is the 2nd of 2 for Mbia. This should complete Zamora's 2 1/2 year deal.

If we go up, could we have a Remy/Austin strikeforce before we add anyone?

It's not looking good. It'll be interesting to see if Austin and/or Phillip will return by then and, if so, whether they can be effective.

15. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FFP rules in the Championship seem to make it difficult to succeed after promtion -- that is, you can't prepare a team to stay up, so you'll have to spend like mad when you go up.

"Clubs which spend this season above the total permitted loss of £3m, plus a further £5m if paid in by an owner, and remain in the Championship, will be barred from signing players from January. The transfer embargo will be lifted only when a club shows that its spending has been brought within the limits, which reduce to £6m in total next season and £5m from 2015-16 onwards; a £2m loss, plus £3m invested by an owner."

http://www.theguardian.com/football...lay-championship-clubs-threat-football-league

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think Taarabt and Remy's decent play will lead to sales. Whatever happens this spring, there will be more house cleaning this summer. I also have doubts as to whether Harry will still be with the club next season - even if we're in the Prem. Or if he's still with the club then it might be in a higher, non-coaching role.

17. alfredstifsim

alfredstifsim Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Harry is gone for sure if we don't go up, which at this point to don't feel it a bad thing. We need to get rid of the rest of the expensive dead weight and find a manager that will develop our youth and not other team's. I like Harry but he's not right for us anymore. We don't need a wheeler and dealer we need someone who's good with a budget and has fresh ideas.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  18. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    What the heck happened today? After the R's gave up what I thought was a late equalizer, I told my wife I would go to the grocery store for her. I get to the store and check in and it's 5-2 to the good guys?!?!

19. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some very nice goals today by the R's! Zamora fed Morrison and then Morrison fed Zamora for two late goals after Onuoha (!!) had a great strike to give us a 3-2 lead. Fun game.

QPR Kevin H and doolittledog2 repped this.
  20. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Onouha's goal was fantastic and finally got me a little bit excited about this season. I don't like the thought of (possibly) Wigan in the playoffs though...

21. alfredstifsim

alfredstifsim Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Not sure how I feel about going up. I'd love to win the playoffs but most of our players are the wrong side of 30 and Harry doesn't like our youth players. I'm afraid It'll just be more of the same. Old dudes on big money coming it

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And a hefty fine to pay -- http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/qpr-debt-177m-report-premier-league-relegation

Of course a) it's not my money that would be spent on the fine ;) and b) might be a net positive getting back to Premier League TV money (and parachute after we get relegated). If we somehow went up through the playoffs it would be great to see the club try to clear some of the bloated contracts and try to get leaner while at the same time putting together a team capable of finishing 17th in the Prem.

23. alfredstifsim

alfredstifsim Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    We're probably screwed either way

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That should be the motto on the Rs crest :)

Lloydy and Atouk repped this.
  25. Barbican Ranger

Barbican Ranger New Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Hi Guys, new to the forum - Qpr fan recently moved to San Francisco - normally post of loftforwords under the same username.

Any how, not sure this is the right way to do things but I couldn't seem to start a new thread...on the home page. With the playoffs looking likely, I wanted to see if there were any Rs in / around the bay area who would be interested in meeting for the games and hopefully the final, if we get there, in San Francisco...there are a few football bars around town that we could arrange to meet at and probably reserve an area.

Lloydy and QPR Kevin H repped this.