QF July 6 Brazil v. Belgium [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azurra89

Azurra89 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2018
    No. If they made a foul, like the ones Belgium did, like a foul for yellow card, really hitting the player, the game would be stopped.

For some reason they were afraid of Yellow cards, but in knock out rounds you shouldn't be. Belgium was not.

2. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was largely disappointed by the use of VAR in this WC. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I felt that the use of video didn’t do much in the way of ending controversial calls. Layún not getting carded for stepping on Neymar, Sweden not getting a penalty against Germany, Argentina not getting a penalty agains Iceland, calling back the penalty for Brazil against Costa Rica, etc. I can understand and accept a referee missing something in the heat of the game. But when video evidence is available, and the referee either chooses not to use it, or simply has a different interpretation than yours, it makes it that much worse.
    I think they should keep the goal line technology, but do away with VAR for use during the game. Perhaps it will be more useful as a tougher tool to punish players for violence, anti-sportsmanship (diving, etc) after the game.

Burr, r0adrunner and Pipiolo repped this.
  3. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I agree that part of VAR should be post-match. Only use it in game for offsides and goals.

Too many players and coaches whining about going to VAR...a player I can understand once in a while but seeing managers making boxes with their fingers was an embarrassment.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad about Brazil & Neymar - they were really on a roll...

el-capitano, Terrier1966 and Pipiolo repped this.
  5. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    South Anericans love for each other is weird. I don’t cheer other European teams..

On the match last night, Belgium deservedly won IMO, they have way more quality in most areas and De Bruyne’s goal was very good.

BGADK repped this.
  6. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Show us Argentinians+Uruguayans cheering for Brazil, and we will believe you.

7. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    This is the dumbest post ever.

Marius Tresor and Redshift repped this.
  8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know I was at the Fan Fest in Nizny Novgorod and the Argentines there (would have been their match had they beaten France) broke into song afterwards cheering with the Belgians.

What I find strange is that there seems to be many Russians cheering for England.

9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah. I’d thought it was the second one. Yeah. That was horrendous.

10. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

God you people are worse than Trumpanzees and Fox News.

You had 27 shots coming in, and your keeper tied a record for World Cup saves in regular time.

Belgium hung on by the skin of their teeth and got lucky. They beat Brazil precisely the same way the US or Saudi Arabia would have

Marius Tresor repped this.
  11. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the fact that Belgium couldn’t get out of their own half in the entire second half when Lukaku kept losing the ball?

I keep saying it because it is true. Belgium had like two genuine chances all game and got completely bossed in the midfield for much of the match. Belgium needed a lucky own goal and for all of dozens of fantastic chances to go wide and amazing goal keeping from Courtois to tie a World Cup Record for saves

If that’s your idea of completely outplaying your opponent, what does getting bossed around look like? 45 shots, 20 on goal and 13% possession, all entirely in your own penalty area? Listening to you guys Russia is the pinnacle of soccer prowess

Oh, wait. For you people it probably is.

I’m busy watching two more dull as dishwater sides play out again.

I keep saying it because t is factually true. It’s this kind of hagiographic hype and bullshit that makes me have such disdain

Marius Tresor repped this.
  12. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And while we are at it let’s ignore everything else about the match. Let’s ignore the fact that Belgium struggled to get out for long stretches. Or the fact that Belgium created like three real chances, that the Belgian defense was at sixes and sevens repeatedly, that they couldn’t get upfield except by hoooding it to a runner, that they needed an fluky own goal to win and record setting goal keeping. Yeah, let’s ignore all that and just descend into a warm glow of delusion!!!!

954gator and Marius Tresor repped this.
  13. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You really are sour and your bias towards any South American team is just pretty sad now.

Belgium deservedly won, I don’t know why you make it out as if they are a pub team or something because Neymar aside I don’t see many of your players in their starting XI

BGADK, bigsoccertst1 and NewLaw83 repped this.
  14. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually watched the game and understand it. You’ve got the most honest user name on this site

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread closed

tripwire repped this.