QF July 6 Brazil v. Belgium [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwjppgg

mwjppgg Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    let get the discussion started...

2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #2 tudobem62014, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Should be an entertaining match. Russia crowd will definitely be behind Brazil ... Brazil and Russia have favorable relations. Tbh everyone likes Brazil.

Belgium back to 4 backline (Meunière) Neymar and Willian will give the outside backs trouble. I wouldn’t use willian, Douglas Costa would be a nice sub since Belgium's backs probably have willian down playing the EPL. I know... Same could be said for Neymar and Meunier but what can you do?

3. Viola Star

Viola Star Member

Fiorentina
    Italy
    May 9, 2006
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably the most anticipated match so far. Really looking forward to it. I expect both teams to score. I think Brazil can expose the Belgian defence more often than Belgium can to Brazil. Age has wearied Vincent Kompany and as with Manchester City he is now a mistake waiting to happen. 2-1 to Brazil. No, changed my mind. 3-2 to Brazil AET. This has been a classic World Cup so far so let it continue.

5. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    I'm afraid Brazil will miss Casemiro more than we can imagine.
    I hope it is enough though.
    Anyway I won't be so sad if Brazil is eliminated by Belgium (assuming they deserve it during the match), since they were the team not fearing to finish in Brazil's playoff leg.

Hexa repped this.
  6. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    Hopefully a beautiful game. Along with Uruguay v France I expect it to be a close one as we are dealing very good teams of similar levels.

I think Belgium has a fair chance to win. The red devils will however have to be wary of their own tendency to get nervous when dealing with prestigious teams. The team has a good potential but is not without weakness while Brazil although shaky at first is gaining momentum and raising its level game after game. If this trend continue for Brazil, based on the very last game I can see Brazil going through.

I previously expected Belgium to beat Brazil but they clearly got better since their first game. I did not expect their defense to be so good, Belgium and France tend to lack realism at times and miss opportunities even when they dominate their opponents. Against Brazil Belgium must keep its nerve and be offensive especially in the Middle field right from the start.

BGADK repped this.
  7. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    I am not as concerned as you about Casemiro - maybe I am biased but I don’t understand how Ferna is not in the starting 11.

Should be a good match.

8. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Brazil probably has too much for any team in this tourney.
    Belgium not solid enough in defence to win here.

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  10. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eloratings

Brazil: 2156
    Belgium: 2010

Difference: 146, so Brazil 69%, Belgium 31%

For what that's worth.

Also, Belgium has let in 4 goals to japan and Tunisia in the last four matches. Brazil has let in 6 goals in the last 25 or so matches, including conmebol qualifying, Germany, etc.

So, Brazil has my bet

11. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Roberto Martinez will have to make some necessary changes if he wants to get a result. A center midfield of Witsel and De Bruyne worked against Panama and Tunisia. That formation was exposed by Japan.

Tite knows what he is doing when it comes to balance. Just like his Corinthians team that won the Copa Libertadores, this Brazil has the defensive physicality to sustain attacks from their opponents while relying on the offensive firepower from players like Coutinho and Neymar up top.

Brazil has been in control of every game, and weathered what Mexico threw at them within those first 20 first minutes with minor tactical changes.
    It will be interesting to see what the Belgians will do because their teamed is stacked with technically gifted players.
    Mexico had the right game plan against Brazil only that they couldn't continue pulling it off.

12. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    These two teams have been the best thus far. The winner of this QF are probably the favorites to win it all.

13. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Indeed, the major strength of Brazil this year is its defence. Brazil doesn't concede goals.

Out of the last 10 Conmebol qualifiers (since october 2016), Brazil only conceded 2 goals. And in the 4 first games of the world cup, the team only conceded 1.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Final adelantado. These guys should have been playing for the championship.

15. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Brazil can win this matchup.

16. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasil can and should win this QF based on the teams' form and performance in the WC. But it's football and anything can happen, especially when the opponent is a strong, technically gifted team. A Belgium victory would not be a historic upset. I think the winner will probably be the finalist from this side of the bracket.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOD WARNING:
    (this is a warning, not a note)

A not-so-friendly reminder: we're all here for the football. Keep the discussion on the match. Over the past week we have had excitable matches such as Sweden v. Switzerland and excitable matches such as England v. Colombia. Passion is a great thing, but when it comes to trolling, personal attacks, racism, sexism, discrimination based on sexual orientation, xenophobia, etc., the passion has gone too far. If your passion has gotten the best of you, expect your posting privileges to be revoked to some lesser or greater degree. We have been extremely tolerant of overly passionate posts, but that time is coming to an end.

We want all of you to post well, with respect and responsibility. If you feel a poster is not posting with respect and responsibility, report that post. We try to deal with it immediately, but we, too, have lives, so don't go into a fit if it is not dealt with immediately. And don't take the law into your own hands.

So, with that said, good luck to both sides, and let's enjoy the match!

The Moderators of Big Soccer

18. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #18 Colo-Colo62, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Not an easy match. But when it comes down to defense, Seleção is way better. We also have a more shrewd and dedicated coach.

19. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The game will be decided by the first goal from Hazard vs Fagner and Vertongen vs Willian.

I expect Meunier To sit on Neymar all day with the help of kompany/ alderwield

20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Brazil are waiting 16 years for a win over an UEFA team in the knockout stage. They lost all four encounters after their final victory against Germany in 2002.

21. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Considering the quality of football shown during the round of 16, we can at least hope for it.

We had a similar situation at the euro 2016 and that's not what happened though. The big teams all massacred each other and in the end it's the winner of the easy half of the bracket which won it all.

Now this being said, I really feel Brazil much stronger than most people say. We didn't have such a strong team at the euro 2016. It may not be the most spectacular attack, but it is super-solid defensively. Outside maybe a surprizing Switzerland in the opening game, I never felt Brazil really threatened untill now.

22. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    This shows how difficult it is to become champions. Germany had to wait 24 years to be champions in 2014.
    And these are the two most succesful teams. For smaller nations - for instance Belgium - it might be a once in a lifetime experience. And surely Belgium has a fair chance of knocking out the 5 times Champs.

23. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only significant weakness Brazil has is mentality. Perhaps I should say potential weakness. Have they recovered from four years ago? Belgium have the players to challenge them. As a team they have perhaps been arrogant as they know they are better players than almost every team in the tournament. Perhaps being slight underdogs will help them to focus? If they could score first how will Brazil respond? People are right to point out that the key difference with this Brazil team is that they can really defend. However, how many matches of their recent run have been against teams with the trickery of Hazard, the vision and precision of De Bruyne and the power and finishing of Lukaku? It is easy to make a case that Belgium will score. Of course everyone must expect that Brazil will score too. Courtois is of course a fine goalkeeper but Brazil have been making the sort of chances that a goalkeeper can rarely prevent. The big question for me is how does the team that goes behind react?

I do think Brazil are the most likely to win but all the questions above are why it is so intriguing. This has all the ingredients of a classic match and it is a shame that one of these two will be going home earlier than most neutrals would like. I'm sticking with my 3-2 AET to Brazil prediction. I think I'll put on my Copa do mundo do Brasil 2014 t-shirt tonight.

24. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    I think people overestimate this 1-7 in brazilian minds.
    I can ensure you that the eliminations in 1950 and 1982 had much more influence than this one.
    If there was any rest of mentally issues due to that defeat, it would be against Germany. Not Belgium, Mexico or whatsoever.
    This is perhaps why the CBF wanted to play Germany before the WC.
    Actually in the last 50 years Brazil has always been eliminated by teams with a rich recent WC history. Italy, Germany, France, Argentina, Holland.
    If they have mental weaknesses, it will be closer to arrogance to be facing "just" a 2nd level team than to be repeating a previous elimination.
    The fact is that Brazil has only two "bogey-teams".
    And they are exactely the ones that Brazil will have to face in the semis if they manage to pass through Belgium!

None.
    Because nowadays there aren't so many teams around with the same individual quality as Belgium.
    Perhaps only Spain and France.
    Besides Brazil themselves.
    But try to play Uruguay, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador away in official matches and get back home with 10 points (and 10:2 goals) - and you won't be missing any challenge.

25. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    I kind of agree, the winner from this bracket will have proven its valor by defeating at the very least a couple of great team. But that is no guarantee. It could end up facing a fresher opponent with potentially less injuries ( as a result of having faced easier teams). This is why I would not completely exclude England from the list of potential winner ( along with Croatia and Sweden ) despite the team being clearly below at the very least a couple of contenders.
    Winning a tournament requires some luck ( in the drawing and the games ). It is not necessarily the "best" team that win but one of the better team.

I wish for an open 2-3 game :) . I will be satisfied however with a 3-2 result as long as it is a beautiful game ;).