News: QEPD Julio Grondona, AFA President

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Paul Calixte, Jul 30, 2014.

1. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm pretty sure there's exceptions to rules about that.

Albiceleste2010, Moishe and RiverGaucho repped this.
  2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have already blasted him enough while he was alive anyway.....

pikuchan and FWS93 repped this.
  3. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    There will be elections in 3 months. U guys really think changes will happen or Segura will just be voted in?

4. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There will be as many changes as needed to remain the same...

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    More optimism flaco! It could be a new era for the AFA.

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, i kinda have some optimism cause I know no one can fill the void that Grondona left. He had so much power even to the last of his days...

And i read this on another forum that really gives some "realist optimism", comparing him with Al Capone and the power struggle after his demise... (in spanish)

RiverGaucho repped this.
  7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently there's a worry that without Grondona's political pull, it will be more difficult for CONMEBOL to defend its 4.5 spots in the World Cup. IMO Uruguay stomping the life out of Jordan should have settled any debate on the matter.

Chesco United repped this.
  8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think Uruguay's game against Jordan has nor should it have anything to do with it... Just look at how pathetic Asian teams were in the world cup... And Africa too, other than Algeria...

CONCACAF had an ok world cup but their teams are middle of the road and costa rica can't be expected to pull off another quarterfinal... Behind the CONCACAF teams that made it are some really shitty teams like Panama and Nicaragua... I mean just look at Honduras, IMO the worst team in the world cup along with Cameroon. They were also the most violent team by a far, they had no intention of playing... If thats how bad honduras is, imagine the teams who didn't make it from that region

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is interesting to dissect the opinions of posters in this thread. Those that did not grow up with futbol Argentino or in Argentina for that matter have more empathy for this pricks death but those of us that did grow up in Argentina and with futbol Argentino have a very different view.

RiverGaucho really said it best and I completely agree with him. Grondona really was that big piece of shit that deserves the mocking he is receiving in death. You do have some gangsters that do right by the poor and what not. This piece of shit not even close. Everything about Grondona was to benefit Grondona. He did more harm than he ever did good and his not honoring the deaths of those that he was responsible for gives me no sympathy for the prick. The only thing I feel bad about is that he didn't suffer.

If you didn't read RiverGauchos posts earlier in this thread then I think you need to revisit them and digest what he posted. There is nothing but absolute truth in what he said and I agree with every word he posted. Grondona deserve to rot in hell and I hope he does.

Albiceleste2010, daniloni, aerez and 2 others repped this.
  10. soccerfanfromcanada

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Come on guys stay classy. I know he wasn't well liked but its just not right to make fun of someone who just passed away, no matter who they are.

charlie15 repped this.
  11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is the reality Grondona created for himself. Some people really do deserve to be treated this way in death, he was no Hitler or Bin Laden but he was still a mobster who either directly or indirectly contributed the deaths of others. Being honest in ones opinion is classy, showing remorse or sympathy for someone just because they died when they were a shitty human being phony.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As Moishe said, you are looking at this as a fan of argentine NT not as an argentine or a fan of argentine football... You think all grondona did was "hold back" the NT from reaching full potential.

I assure you its much more than that. Think Al Capone but friends with 9 different presidents and dictators... Grondona was a partner of Videla who, if you want to think in european terms, was the argentine hitler or perhaps a better example would be stalin since he killed 10,000 of his own people... Grondona supported him 100% just as he's supported people like Menem and the Kirchners who bankrupted the country.

And as I said before... 171 deaths and he did nothing. If you don't see the crime in that, well you don't understand argentina or argentine football, sorry

daniloni and Moishe repped this.
  13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is interesting as Moishe said... For most non-argentines who are fans of the NT, Grondona is just some guy who "held back" the NT and chose bad coaches... When in reality, no one in Argentina or who grew up here even thinks about that

We think about the corruption, the mafia, the deaths of innocents, the barras bravas, the bankruptcy of the clubs he forced in many cases, videla, cristina, futbol para todos, etc.... All things far worse than anything he did with the NT

Bolivianfuego, Sandinista and Moishe repped this.
  14. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What I am about to say is hard and shitty but true. The only joy I take in not winning the WC is that we did not give this prick to the pleasure to take all the credit for one more WC.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  15. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013

Do u think good change is coming though?

16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The thing is, no one who comes in will have the power of Grondona... Right now everyone owes grondona a favor, or money, or both... thats why all the clubs are in debt.

Whoever comes in won't wield that power, no matter how corrupt they may be.

So yes, good change is coming IMO... It won't be great because its still argentina, but it will be better

Moishe repped this.
  17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My sentiments. In some respects things could and should get better but ultimately some things will be as they have always been. That's just Argentina.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well said.

I must say--as an outsider looking in I am learnign a lot about him mainly the wrong he's done.

Care to link in spanish or english links about his past?

What changes do you guys think will come now that he has passed?

19. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm glad people are airing it out. Gordona was a fat slob, who like every other tyrannical piece of shit from his era hung to power like a leech. A thick infested leech, whose accomplished nothing to Argentine football. He was a mockery of the sport, and only protected by those who are as corrupt and evil as he was. Gordona is everything that's wrong with Argentina's past, he's a living memory of everything that's still going wrong today (if you follow the news about what's happening). I'm glad to see him go, a last remnant of a era too far gone. Gordona mentioned "I'm in the best shape of my life"..... Gordona The Irony.

We need a new nick name for him. Don Julio "The Irony" Gordona

Moishe repped this.
  20. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Starting to think who the next President of AFA will be though i think its someone already working there

21. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yesterday I had an appointment right in front of AFA. I couldn´t believe how many passersby shouted and cursed at him, after the news of his death were out. Not an easy feat to be remembered in such way by most people.

Chesco United and Moishe repped this.
  22. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The whole AFA body is populated by corruption. Cutting off one head of the hydra means several more emerge. They are not in it for the benefit of Argentinian football as a whole but themselves. So long as the revenues from transfers, advertising, sponsorship keep coming in they are not that bothered by our dismal displays on the world stage given the talent we have had.

Argentina as a whole should be one of the wealthiest countries in the world blessed with natural resources and people who can get things done. Unfortunately the nation has been led by numpties for decades who like most demagogues talk a lot but do little , only to enrich themselves.

People now have to contend with this debt default thanks to the incompetence of Kirchner and her cronies. Rising inflation once again, more money lost on interest repayments on all borrowing and following such actions as against Repsol declining external investment.

You can see once more another diaspora in the making if things do not improve. And yes the state of the economy does tie in with football. If Argentina did have a strong economy along with structural changes within the AFA along with sorting the parasite culture (agents, shareholders, gangsters) teams would be able to hold onto their youngsters for longer and tempt older veterans back sooner.

I am sure the mothers and others related to the disappeared will be celebrating as they have every right to do. It is great that he is gone but unfortunately there is a whole class of these blood suckers to get rid of.

charlie15 repped this.
  23. tatoRMN

tatoRMN Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hi guys! Who would you like to see as AFA president and who do have best chances to become it?

24. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Luis Segura confirmed to be the head of AFA until october 2015.

When the current mandate of Grondona was supposed to expire... Too bad for him he expired earlier.

25. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

canis, bsas and Pipiolo repped this.