Qatar World Cup - Oranje Victory to Come!

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Nov 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would love to have him instead of deRoon

2. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wonder what LVG is thinking regarding his lineup and tactics?
    In 2014 Nigel De Jong had task of picking up Messi and he did a good job limiting the Magician to one shot.
    I’m guessing De Roon will be drafted in for a similar task.
    He will have to be aware at all times to not dive in and allow Messi to run at him.
    Not easy but that must be the plan.
    I think Argentina is not a great team and shaky and small in the back so that being said I would look to run at them as much as possible.
    I would go with Memphis and Bergwijn up top with Gakpo in the hole as the # 10.
    Bring on more pace if necessary with Xavi and Lang.
    It’s time to take advantage of our size and athleticism off corners and free kicks too.
    Would love to see Virgil and Ake cash in with some headed goals.
    Oranje have the talent and capability to win this game 100%.
    I can’t wait to Friday.

Oranje Agony repped this.
  3. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I am expecting to see more of the same from Oranje as compared to the last match v. USA.... sit back, absorb pressure and try to exploit Argentina on a counter. De Roon (and Klaassen to certain extent) is the key for Oranje to pack the midfield area and get the ball quickly to the front line when on possession.

Unless there's an early goal... I think, just like in WC 2014, this will be a tactical chess match with very little opening and chances. Both teams will be very slow and cautious, and try not to make mistakes. Could very well be going to ET and even PK shootout. I hope Noppert is studying hard for the exam!!

Oranje Agony, BPBlueSox and bunbohue repped this.
  4. He was a late bloomer who actually more or less wasnot really good both in the Eredivisie and in the Belgian league, but apparently good enough for the Moroccan team in those days. Late bloomer was Morocco's win and our loss.

5. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    • I also expect the same thing, same line up and tactic. I hope Netherlands can score first and force Argentina to open up, then counter attack to increase the lead. This time I think the team is preparing for a long run (extra time, PK if needed) by playing slow tempo, and a quick surge here and there when attack. I can see why Van Gaal decides to start Noppert because he wants to use all 5 subs for players if needed. A gamble pays off as Noppert has been reliable and steady. Just don't try dribble like Australia goalie or made mistake like Canadian goalie, clear the ball if needed and be safe. Argentina may just plays safe as it did in 2014 rather than attack. I hope Netherlands can do well in set piece or long distance shot outside of 16m50 area if chances are limited. Chances may be a few so it is down to the team who can take advantage and convert them.
    • Brazil and Portugal may be favourite but Croatia and Morocco now have confidence if the game can go to PK because their goalkeepers' PK performances so Brazil and Portugal will want to win in regular or extra time.
    • England - France are very even. I think England is a bit stronger this time but Mbappe is so dangerous and can change the game in a minute. I cannot tell who will win this game; on the other hand, I really like to see Netherlands defeat Argentina for the 2014 revenge.

richsavare repped this.
  6. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not my comment, but I agree 100%. If Germany had started Samba dancing after they scored 7th goal in 2014 they wouldnt have left that stadium alive

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...tloze-dansjes-we-moeten-er-heel-wat-doen.html

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I think our midfield is too weak for that. In part because of Wijnaldum his injury (or decline), in part of the selections.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Their midfield isnt all that either. And look at the teams they played so far. Saudis, Mexico, Poland and Australia. Not exactly top contenders.

I think we'll win. Maybe even by 2 goals

richsavare, MrOranjeBal and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  11. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    • Here is some perspectives about Van Gaal: https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...gaal-last-dance-with-netherlands-at-world-cup
    • Ooijer summarizes its best: "[Van Gaal] doesn't care what other people think," Ooijer said. "He looks at the best way to win a game, and he doesn't care about what other people are saying or shouting. It's his feeling and he doesn't give a s--- what other people are thinking about." That will probably answer our questions about player selections, who will start and why he makes who will substitute who.
    • Here is another article: https://www.espn.com/soccer/netherl...tains-in-lively-pre-argentina-news-conference
    • He dismissed suggestions he could instruct players where to shoot if the match heads to penalties, saying "that's a ridiculous, nonsensical question," and also dodged a question on his side's plans for Messi.

"We're not going to reveal our tactics to you as that'd be stupid to reveal," Van Gaal added. "You want to block and close the pass lines [to Messi]. I don't think there's too much hoo-hah about this."

He added: "Argentina in my view is a top country with top players in their selection. The tournament is starting tomorrow for real, for us. Although I don't want to downplay the countries we've beaten, Argentina is a different country to the ones we have played."

• Both Van Dijk and Frenkie have said that it would be a team game and team effort (to stop Messi and to win the match). Frenkie also said that Messi is most dangerous when he does not have the ball because of his movement and find the space, then the moment they win the ball, they will find him and he starts the attack. He can dribble, pass or draw lots of players and open space for his teammates.
    • It will be close game like 2014 semi final with lots of nerves. I hope Netherlands scores first and win either 2-1 or 1-0.

12. For the top countries the WC indeed start with the last 8 and not getting there is to be considered a failure.

13. Dward1

Dward1 Member

May 29, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://saturdays.substack.com/p/the-big-argentina-netherlands-preview

Wrote a data-based preview of the game, maybe it will be interesting to you guys. Netherlands are sort of tough to read as they have not looked good for much of the tournament, but will now face an Argentina team who have played an incredibly easy schedule, allowing them to rack up lots of ball possession and stats.

Dutch have leaked too many shots defensively to feel good about their ability to keep Argentina under 15 shots but I think there's a case to be made that if Messi drops too deep, he's not at his best and the quality of those shots can be low.

a lot more there, hope it makes some sense

Orange14 repped this.
  14. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Totally agree Wijndalum is a huge miss for Oranje.
    He adds a lot of experience and tactical flexibility that is very important.
    Excellent in holding ball in tight spaces and pressing his opponents, deep runs, and goal scoring too.

15. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Defeat Argentina, no injury and no yellow card for Frenkie and Ake.

BPBlueSox, Kamtedrejt and richsavare repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    With Lahoz as referee?

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vermoedelijke opstelling Nederland:

Noppert;
    Dumfries, Timber, Van Dijk, Aké, Blind;
    De Roon, F. De Jong;
    Gakpo; Bergwijn, Depay

18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Counter-attack at its best!!

19. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Argentina may just sit back and play exactly like Netherlands, then it will be a chess match. In that case, it may be down to who can make adjustment, luck (good or bad), a mistake or a moment of individual talent that will decide the game.

20. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Bergwijn, Depay and Gakpo will hold the ball better so I think Van Gaal wants the team to have better possession when attack. Klaassen has been involved in linking up to the goals, but he does not hold the ball well or make good pass. Score first, make Argentina chasing and when they are frustrated, hit them with counter attack. I think they will pay attention more to Dumfries and attack the space Dumfries leave behind. We will see.

21. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Kom op jongens!!!!!!!!!!

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    #1599 BaritoPutra, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    I hope the tenacity and grittiness of the Croatian team would be passed along to the Oranje players so we can witness yet another "upset" today!! What a match that was! Croatia have always come from behind to win the game in the W.C knockout stage (2018 and 2022, except the loss at the Final, obviously)... amazing feat :cool:

23. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind can’t play in this game