Qatar World Cup - Oranje Victory to Come!

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Nov 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They are, but they're also the largest selling newspaper in Europe.

I dont agree with them that Germany are finished as a power. I think they'll rebuild within a decade or so.

Its just funny that they're freaking out so bad

2. On the other side of the world they're celebrating the Orange Squad's progress into the KO stage in Ambon:

Oranje Agony and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  3. Not so good is that about half the selection got flu like symptoms. They had to cancel the 11 vs 11 training match.

skydog repped this.
  4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Looking for an excuse already? Just kidding :p:p:p

5. Kelvin Cheung

Kelvin Cheung Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 13, 2019
    Watching the Portugal game and must confess that they do play fluid and mobile game even with young reserve players though I hate this team. Louis van Gaal has no gut whatsoever to try. I bet Portugal can overrun us by at least 3-0.

6. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Apparently, this is a regular thing, and they are allowed to do a one tour through thr city. It's wonderful

7. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    • USA likes to play pressing. Will they be able to play 90 minutes?
    • USA midfields look better than Netherlands' midfield. Will Van Gaal wants to control midfield or yield it to USA?
    • I wonder if Van Gaal will play slow tempo, play defensive and counter attack and take chance with set piece, then sub in players with speed in 2nd half and increase tempo.
    • I also wonder how Van Gaal's game plan will deal with US attack/speed on the wing and will Netherlands be able to exploit the space left behind by US wingbacks (e.g. Dest).

Oranje Agony repped this.
  8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Err.. let me introduce you to the maestro Frenkie de Jong :D:D

I also predict that a battle-tested and fresh De Roon (who has only been playing 1-1/2 match) would shut down and frustrate Musah/McKennie (inexperienced and struggling with injury).

Klaassen will do what he always does... chase the ball, recycle passes, and make late runs to the box. He may be highly ineffective and make our eyes bleed, but can't argue with his output in this W.C (1 goal, 2 assists in 3 matches).

Blind will be exposed by Weah & Dest combo, this is indeed an area of concern... Ake will better be ready. He is quietly having an excellent tournament!

skydog, DutchFanatic and RedStormRising repped this.
  9. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yikes. I’ve played with flu like symptoms before and that is no good.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My picks for R16

[​IMG]

BPBlueSox repped this.
  11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They also did this when we made the final in 2010.
    Its amazing the support they have for us

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yank here - who do you expect will start for NL tomorrow?

13. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Same 11 starting vs Qatar.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  14. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Unknown.

But starting with de Roon against Qatar only makes sense if you plan to play him later on. The defense is most likely gonna be the same. Van Gaal only preferred de Ligt once due to the strong aerial presence of Senegal, but that won't be the case for the USA. I am pretty certain about Depay/Gakpo/De Jong too.

So only 1 question mark I think, who is gonna be the third midfielder?

15. https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...etherlands-2022-world-cup-round-of-16-preview
    ESPN's Kyle Bonagura and ESPN Netherlands' Bob Ligthart break down Saturday's game.

What has worked for the US at this World Cup? And what hasn't?
    If every team in the World Cup were judged based on how they've played in the first half alone, the United States would be considered one the best teams in the tournament.

On a per/first-half basis, they rank No. 5 in chances created (5.3), No. 10 in xG (0.7) and No. 6 in goals (0.7). Defensively, they haven't conceded and allowed just one first-half shot on goal. That's largely a credit to the tactics and team selection of Gregg Berhalter, but mainly to the midfield trio of Tyler Adams, Yunus Musah and Weston McKennie, which has drawn praise from all corners of the world. The US midfield has been nearly impossible to play through early in games, even nullifying England's Jude Bellingham and Mason Mount in that 0-0 draw.

However, the US have been significantly worse after halftime in each game, too. Looking at the same stats as above for the second halves, the US rank No. 29 in chances (2.3), No. 30 in xG (0.2) and are one of just four teams not to score. The drop-off isn't as steep defensively, as the only goal allowed came on a penalty, but opposing teams have six second-half shots on goal and more than triple their xG.

Part of that is due to game state. Against Wales and Iran, the US were protecting a lead in the second half and adopted a more defensive approach -- especially against Iran, when they went to five in the back in the 82nd minute (with 10 minutes of stoppage time). However, what was more clear during each game is that when McKennie and Musah began to tire, everything else suffered. And other than Walker Zimmerman's insertion against Iran -- he entered the game in the 82nd minute and was an assertive, dominant force in the air -- not a single substitute made a tangible positive impact. -- Bonagura
    What has worked for the Netherlands at this World Cup? And what hasn't?
    If you're asking about whether the Dutch are living up to expectations, the reality is that they are underperforming. Their group stage matches (against Senegal, Ecuador and Qatar) were considered dull and more like "walking football" -- the opposite of what they usually try to show during the World Cups, where they aim to play fun, attacking and enjoyable football.

The biggest spark of Dutch fun and energy came in the form of Cody Gakpo. He was Louis van Gaal's superstar from the group stage. The attacker, who has also been used as an attacking midfielder in Qatar, scored in all three group matches, making him the fourth Dutchman in history to score three games in a row at the World Cup after Johan Neeskens (1974), Dennis Bergkamp (1994) and Wesley Sneijder (2010).

Andries Noppert, Van Gaal's choice as goalkeeper, has also turned out to be a smart pick, with the Heerenveen keeper conceding only one goal. At 6-foot-8, he is the tallest player at the World Cup and played his best against their toughest opponents, Senegal. Yet this robust defense is also down to who's playing in front of him: the center-back trio of Virgil van Dijk, Nathan Ake and Jurrien Timber (or Matthijs de Ligt) is solid and has not run into many problems.

The issue in need of most adjustment is the midfield, which has been Van Gaal's biggest headache in Qatar: only De Jong can count on a starting spot with certainty.

Van Gaal has also been purposeful in not rushing players into the team. Memphis Depay, for example, started in only the last group match because he brought a minor injury with him into the World Cup. Lucky for him, and the Dutch fans, is that this squad feel fit and healthy just in time for the grueling knockout phase. -- Ligthart

16. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I read that espn analysis too. It looks like the chance is 50-50 due to unimpressive display of Netherlands in group stage. I hope Netherlands can score first (no need to be early but first) forcing USA to open up, then score 2nd goal and hold on to the lead.

17. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
  18. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’m hoping Van Gaal starts a much more mobile attack with the combo of Memphis and Bergwijn and Gakpo as the 10.
    Watching some match replays of Oranje a little more closely and the system of play really changes from 3-5-2 to 5-3-2 to 3-4-3 quite a bit so they seem both comfortable and flexible in their approach which is good to see.
    Oranje have to be better and faster in their possession play, both on and off the ball, much more proactive, and dynamic with sharper movement in attack, and defensively solid keeping a good shape at all times.
    Be smart & Be First to Every Ball.
    I expect to see a much improved Oranje side with a solid win.
    Oranje 100%
    100% Oranje

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Incredibly disgraceful article by The Athcrappic. So, so biased.

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Unchanged Oranje lineup, I suppose that’s a good thing (more familiarity playing as a unit, and no flu bug?)

Interesting that USA are starting a new striker, Ferreira… he hasn’t played at all in this tournament as far as I know. So he’s basically un-scouted, and could be a wild card. Combination of Dest, McKennie and Weah would create havoc, would be a great battle to see against Blind & Ake.

22. Kelvin Cheung

Kelvin Cheung Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 13, 2019
    Good news for US team who could not be happier to see Blind, De roon and Klaasan in the lineup

Jpows repped this.
  23. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ferreira 18 goals in MLS play for whatever that is worth likes to drop off so not a traditional 9 which is pretty common sight in today’s football overall as so many teams attack with wing backs and have more mobility across the attack.
    USA will press so Frenkie will have loads to do as De Roon and Klaassen can’t pass or play through the lines.
    Memphis and Gakpo need to be on.
    Blind and Dumfries have been poor from wide so they need significant improvement.
    I was thinking maybe Frenkie will get forward a lot but again he will be needed to break press.
    Blind will need to run today as he faces a lot of pace and Ake can’t do it all by himself.