Qatar World Cup 2022

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by HomietheClown, Oct 7, 2022.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    SuperSport will be renaming all their channels to specific World Cup coverage areas. Looking forward to what they do during the tournament. Looks very extensive & cool:

https://news.mijmw.com/supersport-creates-special-world-cup-channels/

SA

BocaFan repped this.
  2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Anyone familiar with Tubi or Peacock options if one will be available to avoid spoilers before starting a replay? I know Peacock used to be horrible in this aspect for the olympics. I may have to watch replays in some instances and wonder what the better option would be.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fox didn’t have a post game show after the first match. Seriously?

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm watching Telemundo during the live game action, switching to Fox for halftime (and in-between matches beginning Monday).
    Currently watching TUDN post game with Austria-Italy friendly upcoming.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Trying to tape all the games on Youtube tv. It was ok taping everything except the US games (!!), and said something there like "Game will tape after the game is completed." Is that a Youtube tv thing or a Fox thing or what?

6. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That little bit at halftime where Alexi said something to Clint about you can't be kind of pregnant was like 10 giant steps backward for U.S. soccer telecasting.

unclesox repped this.
  7. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    BBC spent their whole pre-game show talking about how bad Qatar is. Human Rights, gay rights, etc. I get it. I'm not a fan of the World Cup being held in Qatar and have been saying this for 12 years. What they said needed to be said. But it was depressing as hell. It was as if a network was saying "don't be a part of this tournament. Don't watch what we paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to bring to your living rooms!" I could smell the hypocrisy.

I understand Fox's pre-game was all love for Qatar (afterall, the show was sponsored by Qatar Airways!). BOTH of these approaches are wrong - and nauseating! Surely there is a middle ground where they can serve the fans who just want to enjoy football AND bring to the forefront issues that need to be addressed. But I guess when you live in a world where ONLY extreme views are offered, you get exactly that. Only Black & White are presented while the 80% of us that live in a gray world can just go f*ck ourselves...

SA

8. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This 15-minute injury delay for the Iran keeper is a good reminder to those DVRing these matches due to their time slots to add at least an extra 15 minutes to your recordings.

BocaFan and Kryptonite repped this.
  9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FS1 had NCAA. Broadcast Fox had NFL.

FS2? Fox Business? FX? FXX? I'm surprised that one of those channels couldn't have had 30 mins carved out.

10. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people learned that lesson when Petr Čech went down.

The others? Hopefully they know now. (And pity the providers that don't allow recording long.)

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    On the other hand, ending early means you miss FOX's post-game remarks.

So there are pros and cons.

BTW, nice job by FOX joining the second half of Denmark x Tunisia in progress.

12. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I’m not a fan of Fox, but they deserve some credit for getting Tubi right.

They get the replay up within 30 minutes of the end of the game, No spoilers, minimal ads, the stream picks up where you left off if you need to resume a match in progress. And it is totally free.

As a cord cutter I haven’t had to use my ota dvr at all.

I hate to say it, but ‘good work Fox!’

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The NCAA game was delayed so they could have done something. Really, we've waited over 4 years for the WC the first game coverage they f-up.

Also, not for the first time the 8am EST game(Germany-Japan) ends on FS1 and no mention to switch to Fox channel for the postgame and next game? WTF Fox?

unclesox repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Can we really be surprised? It's FOX. At least they are predictably bad at covering soccer so you can keep your expectations low and make alternate plans.

richsavare and Mikebsiu repped this.
  15. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Watching the World Cup in the USA sucks. Hardly any pre or postgame analysis, and zero half tiMe analysis. Everything is dominated by commercials, and there is no time for anything soccer related. Fox should host multiple shows during the day discussing the World Cup, highlights, team stories etc, history etc. As someone who grew up watching the World Cup in Europe, Fox’s coverage is criminal.

BocaFan and unclesox repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Criminal is a bit harsh.

We have two networks broadcasting the games in two different languages- most of which are available on Free TV with rabbit ears or on TubiTV.

ALL of which are available in beautiful 4K with subscription.

I'd take that over what it used to be and what the alternatives can be.

Matches behind a paywall owned by Amazon or AppleTV or some nonsense like that in the future.

No thanks.

Kryptonite repped this.
  17. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there a rule that states a certain percentage of games must be on broadcast TV?

BocaFan repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For now.

In the future we shall see.

19. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    DirecTV added station banners that they are negotiating with Fox to keep the Fox channels. These appear below the local Fox affiliate and FS1. Horrible timing with the current deal expiring this Sunday. I expect if this deal isn't done in the next day or so banners will start streaming across the screen about this.

Is Tubi airing ads during the middle of games a la BeIN Xtra?

20. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    No ads on tubi except a brief ad break at halftime.

HomietheClown repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I find it interesting that by far the best commentary team gets assigned to the lowest profile matches. e.g. Australia - Denmark or most of the 5:00am ET matches. I actually like this commentary pair. Quite easy to listen to and they do their homework.

Unfortunately, we probably won't hear them after Friday when there are only (max) 2 games per day.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agree. Commercials are needed to pay the bills but the sheer quantity is insane! Other channels covering the WC also have bills to pay but show nowhere near this amount of commercials.

Commentators also don't know the basic rules or tactics (apart from the pair I refer to in the above post). And when I say "basic" I mean it. One was perplexed why a goalkeeper was so far out of his goal in the 99th minute with his team losing by a goal. I kid you not.

23. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    ITV has no more half-time footage than Fox. I haven't checked BBC.

In other news, get ready for Fox to make bad decisions. The second 1/8 Final on Saturday is scheduled in a 2-hour bloc and immediately followed by a college football title match. What do you think Fox will do when this game goes to extra time or penalties, which always seems to happen when scheduled in a tight bloc? They will move the WC match to FS2 and run the college football game.

Art Deco repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, halftime on ITV is pretty bad but they have a long pre- and post-match show.

BBC shows almost zero commercials. Not sure how they pay their bills, but its great!

A bigger issue now than ever before considering most matches have well over 10 minutes of stoppage time (both halves combined).

But as I said above, its difficult to complain about a lack of any post-match show given that when there is a post-match show it is built around Alexei Lalas' power rankings and a competition to see who can talk the loudest. So, you're not missing anything...

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I usually try to look on the bright side, but FOX seems to have regressed.

Hopefully they do a better job in four years when it is in the USA and it is not conflicting with American Football.