Qatar World Cup 2022

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Team Melli forever, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Actually the whole idea of air conditioning in a sport venue, isn´t a new one as in many sports arenas, the use of air conditioning is a reality. Many Arenas where sports as Basketball, Boxing, Ice hockey, Swimming, have air conditioning in the interior of them. Some Dome stadiums also have air conditioning in the United States as the Minute Maid Park in Houston where Baseball is played during summer, and the fans can enjoy the game without the hot temperatures of the exterior, that can also, as Qatar, reach the 50 degrees.

Never heard that air conditioning was unhealthy for players playing in this kind of fields, can you provide a link where it says so ?, (if possible by a medical board who can testify this issue), I would really appreciate it. :)

What`s new about this issue in the Qatar bid, is that they are going to use environmental friendly technology for this issue, which they are going to make it available for everybody, something I would really like to see, specially in open stadiums and not in a dome, as it is required by FIFA for the any WC`s.

2. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I think the health issues was that there are 12 stadiums but 36 teams in the World Cup so where would the other teams train if not in air conditioned stadium?

3. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    wow you're back?
    I check mated you in page 7 and you ran off with your tail in between your legs. Now this guy comes barging in and you sneak back in trolling. :rolleyes:

My thermometer said 50 degrees b/c I was in a closed space. They record the temperature in open spaces outside the city and it is always cooler (airport etc...). Even the Qatari officials talk about it.

"Explaining that there's a difference between the actual recorded temperature and what's known as the 'felt temperature', Al Mannai said that a lot of people have recorded highs above the officially registered 50.4C. However, he added that there are a number of factors that have contributed to the difference, believed to be around plus or minus 6C in Qatar. "

Not everybody is sitting in a field in the middle of nowhere. Go to downtown Qatar in the middle of the day and the temp will always be hotter by at least 5 degrees.

Here in Canada we have the actual temp and then temp+windchill. With windchill the temp can drop by more than 15-20 degrees Celsius easily!

It works the other way as well. The "felt temperature" is always lower/higher then what the thermometer says in extreme climates.

I grew up in Iran so I know what I'm talking about. My thermometer in Iran is ALWAYS showing a higher temperature than the official one. Again, they record it in the airport not in downtown area where everything is made of concrete and asphalt.

4. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    You overestimate your importance my friend.

I have exams and a life. Which apparently you seem to never have. :confused:

5. MAVSFAN82

MAVSFAN82 Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that there is consideration into moving the 2022 World Cup to Winter. So how is FIFA going to convince UEFA that this is a good idea?

6. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They'll have an armwrestle contest. Blatter pumps iron like you wouldn't believe, Platini's screams as his knuckles are crushed will mark UEFA's assent.

7. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Except Platini was one of the guys who came up with the idea.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe they'll actually have them visit Qatar in July or August, that usually does the trick!

9. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't think a lot of people on BigSoccer understand the meaning of the word "risk". It doesn't mean "worst" - it just means exactly what it says, "higher risk".

It's like if you're out at the bar and you see a group of girls, you assess the situation and decide which one to go after. Sure you could go after the ugly fat one, that would be a very "low risk" move and you would almost assuredly be able to hook up with her without much effort... but you could also go after the really hot one, which would be "high risk" and you could spend all night hitting on her, spending tons of money on drinks, and still go home alone. I guess it's your personal opinion as to which to go after, but wouldn't it be so much better the next day if you went for the "high risk" and it paid off?

That's what Qatar is. They're the high risk with a huge potential pay-off. Yes, it *could* go horribly wrong and it could be a huge waste of effort and money, but it could also be the greatest, most important World Cup in history (for all kinds of reasons). FIFA is betting on "great", good for them.

10. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    such as...

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What is the huge potential payoff with Qatar over the other bidders? There already seems a mad scramble within FIFA to change the bid with potential movement of the time and also sending matches to neighbouring nations. If the original bid is so great, why the effort to change things at this early stage?

12. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    It is the first world cup where I see a match in person :D

13. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    I understand the Qatari think it's fantastic the World Cup will be hosted in their country, but I personally think the FIFA has not been very secure by choosing this nation to host such a tournament, because of the following reasons:

1. Everyone knows the FIFA are corrupt, and Qatar is only chosen because Qatari officials have bought their votes. Be honest to yourself: Qatar?
    2. Qatar is too hot, but the FIFA doesn't seem to agree with hosting the World Cup during winter.
    3. Many human rights, such as the legality of homosexuality - which is to my opinion really really important-, are being ignored by the Qatari government. This is to me the main reason the World Cup should not be hosted in this Gulf nation.
    4. The Qatari national team must develop very quick to actually have a chance of reaching the round of 16.
    5. There were better options, like Australia and Korea and the USA

14. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    LOL

They lose to UZB by 5-6 goals and you want them to improve so much that they can reach the R16 in the WC in less than a decade?

15. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    I said they'll have to, not that I want them to.

16. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I know, but you're making it sound like Qatar has even an iota of chance doing that.

Nothing will change.

17. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Agreed.

18. gummy-bear83

gummy-bear83 Member

May 24, 2010
    Piombino, Tuscany.
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no problem, they will naturalize 20 Brazilian players

nimaa repped this.
  19. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Qatar will be such a huge embarrassment to themselves and to Asia they'll be sorry they even wanted to host the event in the first place. I definitely see them losing all 3 games with 0 goals scored and double digits scored against. They'll make history but not the kind they like.

20. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't listen to these voices of negativity, everybody.

The fact is that Qatar were the absolute best candidates to host the 2022 by a mile. A football-mad nation with a large, dynamic fanbase and an impressive national team they were certainly much better candidates than "Japan" or "The United States".

Not only that, the Qatari bid was a totally transparent, audacious, visionary document that will transform football forever. Don't listen to critics, they were just jealous that their crappy Earth-stadiums were outclassed by the gleaming sci-fi wonder domes of Qatar 2022, where nothing can possibly go wrong.

We in the footballing community owe Qatar and FIFA a debt of gratitude for pushing the game to ever greater extremes of temperature, technology, government and branding opportunities, and I for one want to praise Sepp Blatter for taking the brib- er... plunge.

21. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

o_O

22. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    He's being sarcastic.

23. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    seriously?

24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think ironic is the correct term.

25. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't believe Korea submitted a bid (but I could be wrong). I thought it was between USA and England.

As far as human rights, I don't think homosexuality is as critical an issue as just general social restrictions. I know there will be specific zones held where alcohol can be consumed with a passport but the World Cup is like an international party and most of the fans will be coming from Western countries.

Also is the issue of Israel...if Israel qualifies, Qatar has said that it will allow Israel to play...but what if there's another war between Israel and Hamas (they seem to happen every decade or so). How will Qatar contain the likely heavy protests? Then instead of the spotlight being on Qatar hosting the World Cup, it will be on Qatar's handling of protests...which will embarrass Qatar.

But most importantly, is how a national team loses by 4 goals to a team that may not even qualify for the World Cup should host the World Cup. If any nation regardless of footballing ability can host the World Cup, why not give the WC to India or China?