Qatar World Cup 2022

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Team Melli forever, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Hermes

Hermes Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Kobe
    Club:
    Vissel Kobe
    Good post.

On the japan stadia ex 2002 wc comment. All the stadiums are used weekly in the domestic comp :cool:

2. Sardukar

Sardukar Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Sydney
    they knew exactly who they were presenting to, the world, not the people who were voting and definitely not australians. Those last minute videos meant nothing at all so the aus bid team used it as a free tourism ad. Aus had already been verbally guarenteed 6 votes in the first round and ofcourse that didn't happen because in the end we didn't pay out the $$$ like qatar did.

3. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That is great I guess you guys have the league that demands it (how true that is gonna be about Qatar with 1 million population I don't know). I swear I have read reports about 2002 WC arenas not being used maybe it was Korea. I am sure that there was issues with the Chinese ones and specially the bird's nest.

4. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I still think that you guys are being conned by the presenters, which is great I think they have managed to put all the blame on external reasons and make everyone believe there was nothing more they could do!

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There probably wasn't. We had a lot of weaknesses - no Aussie on the ExCo board, MBH gunning for us, timezones and we weren't offering the sort of cash projects the other bids were.

6. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Like Japan, all the WC stadiums in Korea are being used by the K-league teams every week.

Seoul WC stadium, for instance, generates about $10 million profits annually during the off-season. It boasts a large cinema complex (Some 2010 WC matches were shown in 3D at the cinema), a shopping mall, gym, banquet room, wedding hall & etc. Some pics here; http://blog.naver.com/haechiseoul?Redirect=Log&logNo=110098251608

Suwon WC Stadium, Seogwipo WC Stadium and Busan WC stadium also generate profits during the K-league off-season via a similar route to Seoul WC stadium.

Ulsan WC stadium, Daegu WC stadium and Jeonju WC stadium have leisure parks and so the local festivals are regularly being held there and the citizens come and play many leisure sports like rock climbing, skate boarding & etc. See Ulsan WC stadium for instance, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2615239997_2f918b22a2_o.jpg

Ulsan Athletics Park which includes swimming pool, tennis courts, inline skating area, shooting range along with being ecological resting place for citizens with beautiful lake, rose garden, lawn square, fountains, ecological learning center, outdoor concert venue.

7. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JffBQkBOZZk"]YouTube - Zidane Joins Qatar's Bid![/ame]

qatar's ingredient of success
    zidane in their commercials :rolleyes:

8. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I knew I didn't imagine these things:

Again I am not saying the above is correct just wanted to let you know I did read it somewhere and didn't make it up.

9. Hermes

Hermes Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Kobe
    Club:
    Vissel Kobe
    hmmm okay. Im sure many are not filled to capacity. But they're being used on a regular basis and providing a necessary service.

This actually gives a lot of weight to the Qatar bid as they plan to break they stadiums up and ship them to a loving home after the WC. (god knows how they will do that).

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just build a dome over the whole country, it is a penninsula right? and blast the AC all day. How much could that cost? :D

I would have prefered Australia (I am American) or the UAE but Qatar made the bid and the UAE did not, so Qatar got it, we will see, many things can change in 12 years, it could be the worst WC ever, the best ever, or just average.

I have been to Qatar (just the Airport), I believe it was October 2001, It was hot but I do not remember it being hotter than Saudi Arabia.

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as someone who grew up, and still lives in the Middle East, I think it's absolutely awesome that a world cup has finally come to the Gulf and I really didn't think I'd ever see that in my lifetime. With that said, as I've posted on other forums I've got reservations about many issues mainly: a) the weather and b) Qatar's decision to go at this alone.

For the weather problem, you lot comparing summers in Doha with winters in Australia, or anywhere else for that matter are either having a laugh or completely out of touch with reality. It's insanely hot here in the summers and I can just imagine tourists from Europe passing out from heat stroke every 5 minutes. Try putting your pet cat or mouse or whatever in the microwave for a couple of minutes and see what happens (ps-please don't really do that :p) but that's basically what it feels like.... the state of the art cooled stadiums and air conditioned fanzones will only be a band aid solution. The logical and safer solution which I think it will ultimately come down to is to move the tournament to January. I'm watching Dubai One at the moment and even they're suggesting this.

I'm also kind of disappointed that Qatar didn't try and co-host this with the UAE. The Emirates already has more stadia, accommodation, infrastructure, etc. and I think with Qatar's money and potential would have combined with the Emirates. Instead they're going to spend all this money building temporary stadiums and infrastructure (like a metro line that connects stadiums won't even exist afterwards) and pack everyone into one of the world's smallest countries.

Oh well I guess I won't complain though... at least I won't have to tell people that live in Dubai anymore when I travel cause I can't be bothered explaining where Qatar is. :p

12. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Right. The weather problem is a serious one. We must realize that even if they get the stadium cooling systems working perfectly, the actual matches are only a small part of hosting a tournament the size of the World Cup. Tourists are going to be confined to their hotels during the day unless some major indoor amenities are constructed across the city (all connected by a good metro system, so people wouldn't have to go outside for long).

This would have made a lot more sense as a joint bid. I'm guessing Mohammed Bin Hammam insisted on just Qatar, though. This was his pet project, and he was the guy that essentially rammed this through without much thought.

13. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Didn't FIFA say they were not too keen on joint bids?

14. 007FcBarcelona

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Quatar is a good decision.
    Wonderful world!
    Although it's very hot there but maybe they could do the world cup in january or february there. it would be possible.

[​IMG]

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    ^^^ I agree, it is very possible to hold the Cup in the winter. They have the power to do so. The world's leagues will just have to reschedule around it since they have to release their players anyway.

If the 2022 World Cup is not moved to winter, that will be very dissapointing. It'd be a detriment to the game itself.

16. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    fifa's own technical committee also said Qatar is not a suitable host!

but one country is better for visitors than two. At least people won't be exposed to the heat as much. The stadiums in Qatar are like minutes away from each other lol

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    just taking a look at it, by the positioning of the shades over the structure and the amount of light in that picture, I highly doubt that the picture was taken at 6:00 A.M., as nimaa, originally said. I think it must have been about 2:00 or 3:30 P.M., in other words, at the most high temperature record of the day.

Btw, it records clearly 53 degrees Celsiuss, not 57, as what was quoted to be the highest ever recorded temperature.

It is highly tendentious fake affirmation, and it proves nothing, maybe just that sometimes it can exceed 50 degrees at certain hours of the day, but not at 6:00 A.M..
    :rolleyes:

18. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    wow you're an Einstein!
    MENSA must be knocking on your door as we speak

That pic isn't mine and I never said it was taken at 6 am!
    I said it was 50 degrees at 6 in the morning when I was there. That's what the thermometer said.

btw my genius friend, 50, 53 and 57 aren't a whole ********ing lot different!!
    Add the RIDICULOUSLY high humidity and you'll get the shittiest weather on earth.
    I've been to Dubai twice and every time I couldn't wait to get the fudge out. The constant noise of AC makes you go nutz and without it you're as good as dead.

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I did a little googling on the picture, and this is what I found :

http://www.habibtoumi.com/?p=2696&upm_export=print

I was right right about the hour of the picture : 2:00 P.M.
    As the article says, it was due to have reached by that time the maximum hot in many years. Read it yourself. :)

And at last my friend, at those temperatures 1 degree celsiuss is a big issue, and never the same.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me on this one... I live in Qatar and in the summer it is ****** hot, no matter what time of the day it is. :mad:

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    My friend, believe me. Any temperature above 32 degrees Celsiuss is hot.
    I have no doubts that Qatar during summer is very hot.

The reason of my post is that I`m tired and sick about all the people around here complaining about the high temperatures in Qatar, and in most of them what is annoying is that they continue saying that it is normal to have temperatures above 50 degrees , during the whole summer, as if this were a regular issue, which it is not. Sometimes it reaches 50 degrees, and in some occassions it passes it as well, but by no means this is the average Temperature during the summer. There is plenty statistics all through the web, where they have the mean temperatures through lapses that range 30 years in time, and there you can see that average temperatures for Qatar during Summer reaches between 38 and 42 Degrees Celsiuss at the maximum high per day, which undoubtfully is high temperatures, but not 50, and least of all, at 6:00 A.M., which is a completely diferent issue.
    :)

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Qatar Embassy in the US has the average temperature in July & August as around 45 degrees:

[​IMG]

http://www.qatarembassy.net/climate.asp#Climate

I've quite often seen temperature reports on international news saying that the weather is a hell of a lot cooler than our themoneters read here so I'm a little skeptical of a lot of those graphs.

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, I can accept it, but this source which specializes itself in weather has this data :

http://worldweather.wmo.int/116/c00221.htm

Of course what would be important, is that the embassy should point out the range of years that was used to elaborate that graph, or what source did it use. Anyhow, 3 degrees of diference, is a diference I can accept from one source to the other. Not saying that 3 degrees of diference is the same though.

One last thing, temperature is always measured under shade and ventilated conditions for metereological reasons. Under the sun with no ventilation, it can top it widely.

24. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    Does it matter if it's 57 or 53? 6am or 2pm? that's waaay to hot and dangerous if you even have a lill walk.

And this airco bs is rlly stupid, it isn't healthy for the players to play in an airconditioned field!

25. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I think the highest temperature ever recorded in Qatar was 50.6 degrees celsius.