Qatar Nights - The Winter World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 23, 2022.

1. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether Canada and Mexico as joint-hosts with the US for WC 2026 means there is any more or less “shadiness” than others is definitely open for discussion and debate.

it’s reasonable to conclude there is no “perfect” or “ideal” WC host as every country has shameful history. Personally, I’m ok with leaning toward “sensible” hosts, namely ones that already have stadia and infrastructure to host the WC with minimal climate impact. Not having normal temps over 100F would also seem sensible.

but what do I know.

ArsenalJake repped this.
  2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that you're a little teapot.

Beyond that, what does anyone know??

Super Llama and maskito repped this.
  3. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is a teapot able to post?! @maskito who do you work for?!?!

maskito repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if there was any doubt left about Infantino’s ethics, morals or corruptibility…

I just learned that he lives in Qatar now and is sending his kids to school there.

Gee I wonder what he’s paying for all that?

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Time for some of Infants quotable quotes!
    It gets better though...
    Followed shortly by
    Redhead lives matter, people.

Tonerl, NorthBank and Super Llama repped this.
  6. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can’t wait for the day we have green energy barons

Shen-O and daedalus repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's a certain hypocrisy regarding the criticism of Qatar - far fewer people were upset about the 2018 World Cup being awarded to Russia (who started occupying parts of Ukraine in 2014), or the 2022 Winter Olympics in China (using Uyghur slave labor and putting people in concentration camps).

8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think what’s maybe adding to the spectacle in this case is that those other countries turned out to be quite adept at the sports-washing part of the equation—like there wasn’t authoritarianism being imposed on sports tourists, in contrast to with the Qataris, where their imposition on their guests is really highlighting things further. So that’s adding attention

Rewinder and mebeSajid repped this.
  9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That is entirely it. If they decided that they were going to look the other way for a month and let foreigners come in and party and be themselves, and leave, they would get a fraction of the criticism, and the sports washing would actually be more effective.

You can't invite a month long football carnival that attracts people from all over the world, and then tell them no clowning around. Brazil had a federal law against beer sales in stadiums. FIFA made them change it for the World Cup. The host country has to adapt to the party they agree to host. If you are not willing to accept foreign customs and traditions, don't bid for the World Cup.

Shen-O and NorthBank repped this.
  10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Not long now til the biggest dumpster fire of a World Cup is going to kick off. I am considering watching it through an illegal stream, because on the one hand I do want to boycott it but on the other hand its really hard to drive by a car accident and not look.

11. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wonder who they will get to perform at the opening ceremony, im not watching that shit but I wonder considering all I have heard is who isn't performing.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #137 GunnerJacket, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    Morgan Freeman among the narrators for the ceremony, including an appearance in site, and some K-pop(?) Star among the singers.

Can't tell if there is a severe delay in the transmission or if this is collectively the worst lip syncing ever. Overall though, a fair show for something that has to be completely clear of the pitch in 15 minutes.

I did wince at the local figures involved in the broadcast using phrases like "After so much sweat and work it's great to finally have the event kick off."

And_ROOS repped this.
  13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    "After so many foreign cadavers we have thrown at stadiums that will never be used after this month its great to have the event kick off."

14. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Qatar have this rigged so hard. VAR called back a goal for an imaginary offside.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This didn't age well.

16. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there’s certainly an element of racism to the criticism compared to the amount of scrutiny Russia 2018 received. (I seem to recall a lot of criticism of the Beijing Olympics, much of it after the fact, granted, and probably owing much to the general anti-China sentiment in the atmosphere of the US.) However, I think you’d also have to say that the accumulated attention having been paid to the corruption involved in many of these kinds of events in the last 20 years or so (Beijing, Sochi, these two world cups, etc.) has created a commensurate increase in awareness of the general public, directly leading to the increase of criticism. It’s not really productive to what about the earlier level of scrutiny. The alternative is basically to tell people if you didn’t complain before, you’re not allowed now.

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  17. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    They really need to do a better job of explaining the decisions, had to watch the whole play again after seeing the still picture they used and then you see it. Guy who makes cross for goal is offside when his teammate heads the ball while GK misses his lunch.

maskito repped this.
  18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The world had also used up a lot of that energy putting the Sochi Olympics to the sword, to say nothing of the ongoing criticism of the Putin regime. By the time '18 came around there wasn't as much left to be said.

19. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    upload_2022-11-21_4-8-40.png

They are right that football brings people together. Everyone I know watching is wanting Qatar to lose.

"Today, I am Ecuador."

daedalus repped this.
  20. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time the decision was made, The ref is signaling free kick, Twellman says no goal, and the TV graphic says "VAR Decision: GOAL"

This new offside technology will take some getting used to, in terms of how and when to work the explanation into the broadcast, but the on screen mix up comes down to Fox not televising soccer in years.

Bluto11 repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Damn. The locals cleared out of the venue quickly. So much for making the most of the occasion.

22. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off to one of more than 200 locations where alcohol is sold to cleanse their pallettes of how awful that Qatari team was. What did those 11 dudes spend the last 12 years preparing for?

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    both are bad choices

the problem
    People have especially is that being gay is illegal

but people forget Alan Turing was basically killed for being gay and he helped win ww2 in this country not to mention the shit in the Middle East and Ireland etc

No country can really judge another, especially when we split and divided the region and they have only recently become wealthy

catch 22 really, they never should’ve been given the tournament at this stage in their development

maskito repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh??? (that last phrase)

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t watch, but did those locals look like locals, or like true fans? Or just like people who were given free tickets and t-shirts to show up and cheer in some way? As we saw in Beijing?