Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    1. Is it so arrogant to not even know who one of the bidders was!! I mean, you didn't even know who was in play, probably the same homework every bidding nation did and then suddenly shocked!

2. Indonesians, Malays and Filipinos to attend. Probably not at all easy really. They'd let some in, but I think they would clamp down a hell of a lot for the people who want in, but not for footballing reasons, and wouldn't go back. It would be a nightmare for them.

3. Yes, at some point, Australia should get it along with support from New Zealand and even Tasmania.

2. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I knew they bid, I didn't think they had a shot considering FIFA themselves had stated that they were the weakest bid technically. I foolishly assumed that if FIFA didn't seem to think a WC in Qatar was fesible they wouldn't choose them. How arrogant of me.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/33/74/56/b9qate.pdf

2. Point taken.

3. Tasmania is actually part of Australia.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Would be good to play games there assuming a team from their ever gets off the ground.

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think we are a candidate anymore, at least not until there are some major shifts within FIFA. We did recently have one Japanese official stating they could take over from Qatar if needed, before quickly backtracking after what we can assume were some stern phone calls.

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think that that many smaller nations would go to the wall over Qatar. Anyone campaigning for the FIFA Presidency (if that is what he is doing) would be foolish to go for the votes of large nations at the expense of the smaller ones. There are a lot more smaller ones. Maybe he has another agenda in mind.

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tasmania is a lovely place to visit. Unfortunately I doubt if building a World Cup quality stadium would be sustainable down there. Australian Football is by far the most popular football code, and they haven't been able to get a team up in that Competition. Thats one of the reasons that Tasmania wasn't included in our bid. If anyone plans to visit Australia I would recomend a trip to Tasmania as part of your itinery.

Qdog repped this.
  7. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ought to be an interesting explanation. How are Qatar representative of the poor impoverished nations of the world?
    No, its not arrogant. It wasn't a serious bid. It still isn't. They were proposing things like floating cloud, and dismantling stadiums and giving them to poor countries. Basically, every last thing that bid package promised Qatar has failed to deliver on. Its only going to get worse too. The world community doesn't really need to expose massive corruption, even though we know its there. We just have to sit and wait until Qatar can't fulfill the infrastructure requirements of the contract.

That Cherokee and superdave repped this.
  8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Their doing a hell of a lot more in helping nations like Djibouti, Kyrgyzstan than anyone else ever has done haven't they

The year is 2014.... the world cup is 2022.... you want them to dismantle stadiums now?? It's 2014 and Brazil only just got their stadia up for 2014, I mean, 8 years mate before you should say they failed to deliver.

9. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

The US pours millions upon millions into Djibouti. In fact, US foreign aid is the largest sector of the Djibouti economy. And US aid to Kyrgyzstan has been over $400 million.

http://old.cacianalyst.org/?q=node/5954/print

"According to USAID, it has provided around US$ 460 million in programs aimed at supporting the country’s development in various sectors such as health care, the economy and democratic institutions."

That Cherokee repped this.
  10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I meant in footballing terms. Qatar does a hell of a lot for these countries and many others in the region... that's why it would be a wrong move by Champagne to basically tell the world that he will look into Qatar 2022. He's already lost Qatar's vote and the power they have in the region.

Look at the youth competitions Qatar organises and the nations who play but never actually play in anything else unless hosted by Qatar... because they are welcomed and expenses paid. That's why, Djibouti, Mauritania and other widely unknown footballing nations would go against Champagne. Champagne has thrown down gauntlet and all Sepp has to say is... Qatar 2022 is yours, no matter what. Qatar will make sure he gets the votes.

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's not for nothing that Camp Lemonnier exists within Djibouti and Manas transit Center exists within Kyrgyzstan, both US overseas strategic military bases......

:rolleyes:

I wonder which is the name of the Qatari military bases in exchange for Qatar's support there.....

12. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was out of the kindness of our collective heart.

Rickdog repped this.
  13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What are they going to dismantle ?

For that to happen, they got to build them first, which hasn't happened yet.
    In any case, in their bid they never said that they would dismantle a whole stadium, but only parts of them once their WC ends.
    So if Qatar by any chance loses to host the WC, no free stadium parts for anyone, unless Mr. Jerome "sparkling wine", comes out with the bright idea as him as future head of FIFA will have them built and delivered from FIFA's own budget or maybe out of his future salary (if that were the case, he's got my vote, :ROFLMAO:).

druryfire and Bubba1971 repped this.
  14. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those stadiums are going to end up in other countries. The entire bid package was lies.

athletics68 and Bubba1971 repped this.
  15. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-Worl...made-mistake-awarding-2022-world-cup-to-qatar

Now what Swiss Articles mention and this doesn't that there was some sort of political pressure from France and Germany whatever that is supposed to mean. "It is well known that big companies in France and Germany work in Qatar but they don't only work there for the World Cup". He was quoted.

16. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    cigar_city repped this.
  17. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    I didn't missunderstand anything I just translated what an article I read said if anything they missunderstood it and he did mention that Germany and France thing. Anyways the original of the video of the interview for those that speak French http://www.rts.ch/video/info/journal-continu/5852283-sepp-blatter-le-choix-du-qatar-une-erreur.html

18. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Sorry, I wasn't being serious.

I assume it's just the usual Blather thing where he waffles ambiguously, sounds like he's saying something in particular but you can't really be sure, and then it's announced that he didn't mean what you thought he said, but still that's exactly why he said it.

Does he do that in French the same as in English?

cigar_city repped this.
  19. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The sooner they just announce that it will be in winter, the better.

20. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    if you have the time fifa also confirmed these comments through twitter... so its not just blatter "waffling"

21. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    #121 jupal, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Don't worry. And the interviewer asked "Is the world cup 2022 in Qatar likely to be in winter?" and Blatter replied "yes it's likely.... yes it's even more than likely... well likely seems to be the right word" this are pretty much the exact words said which also kind of explains why he says after that the summer 2022 idea was a mistake I guess because the interviewer asks "so reviewing the fundamental problem playing at 50°C was that idea not a mistake" and blatter is like of corse listen blah blah. So I am pretty sure it will be in Winter.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Then Europe can rebel and either restructure or end FIFA.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never mind what US sponsors are going to do to him...

Bubba1971 repped this.
  24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    And you know this how?

Can't wait when one is and I have to re-quote this again!!

25. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Weird thing is Europe could rebel and then form a federation called UEFA and then more than likely play a pro European World Cup with guest Brazil/Argentina in countries such as Qatar, UAE, all the countries they would want to excluse

You really think reforming means they wouldn't go to places to make money