Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup

Japan, Senegal, Morocco sound dangerous, if we don't observe the usual football countries.

Mexican players are mostly in Mexican league? Is this their decline or their league improved so much?

This world cup won't be so exciting. Many great veterans will have their last world cup. Some of them are in weaker shape.

2. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Mexico has always had most of their squad based in their local league as far as I can remember. The thing with Mexico is that they have arguably the best league outside of Europe / South America, so you'll never know what you're getting until the actual world cup.

Hmm, this has always been the case for most world cups. It's a cycle, new stars will shine while others become the veterans by the end of it. Rinse and repeat.

IASocFan and Copadobrazil014 repped this.
  3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    thewitness repped this.
  4. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  5. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Which American allies are those? As far as I can tell, everyone is OK with RUS being kicked the heck out of Qatar 2022.

By the way, *always* seems to be a loose concept here. Look at 2017, for instance.
    Boycott nations demand FIFA strips Qatar of 2022 World Cup - report
    https://www.reuters.com/article/ozasp-uk-soccer-worldcup-qatar-idAFKBN1A1070-OZASP

6. Copadobrazil014

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Whoever smelt it dealt applies well to human rights abuses tbh. Almost every country has good and bad history. We hope for a good future

7. Copadobrazil014

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree

2006 bye to zidane
    2010 bye puyol and prime Torres
    2014 ciao klose and casillas
    2018 bye to E. Hazard
    2022 farewell Messi n ronaldo

2006 hello Messi and Ronaldo
    2010 hello sergio busquets
    2014 James Rodriguez!
    2018 mbappe!!
    2022 ?

8. Copadobrazil014

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Anyone else remember the floating air conditioning cloud schematic? Or did I dream this up?

BocaFan repped this.
  9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't speak to the rest, but Mexico has a long history of non-interventionism (the "Estrada Doctrine").

10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You didn't dream it but in the end thats not what happened. Although the air conditioning seems to knock off about ten degrees C it still means its stinking hot outside the ground.

Copadobrazil014 repped this.
  11. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Will all the group stage games be full?

12. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    i did not talk about Russia.

I talk about the call for boycot because of human rights "concern" and simply not willing to apply western culture and standards.

the 2017 initiative had nothing to do with that if you follow your own link. it dealt with terrorism allrgations.

my statement was exclusively on the australian initiative and the reasons they were giving.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I should add that’s in the July period when the cup is normally held. Should be fine in November/December

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    2014 was both "hi" and "bye" to James Rodriguez. :whistling:

15. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    #5015 jesta, Oct 28, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    I am very curious how this world cup is going to play out … too many unknowns and soooo many negative things surrounding, but it is the world cup, it is the last one in perfect format of 64 teams and the whole world will come together in one single city …. gonna be very very interesting!

I‘m going thru quite complicated times… hope world cup is going to help to phase out as many things as possible and enjoy it as we always used to. last 30+ years it was live, this time it’s gonna be on the telly! one more thing to get used to!!

16. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Apparently FIFA is threatening to kick Tunisia out of the WC due to government interference.

I think it's highly unlikely but who would replace them ?

Would it be Mali, or the top rated CAF side which would be Nigeria.

I think that Nigeria has much more lobbying power than Mali.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  17. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    or Italy as the highest ranked team of the FIFA rankings which is not qualified.

other than in the case of Ecuador, Tunisia would be excluded because of gaining an advantage om the pitch by fielding an eligible player.

if it will be Italy, group of light becomes group of death overnight.

18. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    you can already put modric on the "bye" list as he announced it will be his last tournament for croatia.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Why would it be Italy?

Clearly it would be another team from CAF.

20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    What about the Nations League finals?

Croatia fought like crazy to get into the final four. I think he realises that this could be his farewell signing off potentially with a trophy for Croatia.

I personally don't see Croatia doing anything at this World Cup and it would be sad to see him signing off with a potential group stage exit.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  21. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Italy into Group D? Three European teams in the group? I doubt it. They would have to reshuffle the groups and put Italy somewhere else. For that reason, among others, I doubt that Italy gets selected if Tunisia gets kicked out.

I agree that a CAF team would be selected, which is as it should be. Probably Mali, which would be great. A World Cup debutante.

Paul Calixte and Cosmin10 repped this.
  22. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I seriously doubt they are going to kick Tunisia 20 days before the tournament

Cosmin10 and BocaFan repped this.
  23. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I said this about the Iran rumours as well. With only 3 weeks to go it's too late to kick anyone. Just not gonna happen.

I think Yuguslavia was banned very close to the start of EURO 1992 and UEFA brought Denmark to the tournament. Can anyone say how many weeks before the EUROs started did all this occur?

24. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UEFA replaced Yugoslavia with Denmark on 31 May 1992 - 10 days before euro92 started - the day after the UN voted to impose sanctions on the country which led to FIFA suspending their membership.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  25. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In the Yugoslavia situation, UEFA had their hands tied. They had no say on Yugoslavia's sanction from futbol.
    In the case of Tunisia, the decision is in FIFA's hands. They could still let them play and impose a heavy fine/suspension post-World Cup.