Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. Now that I checked I see that the average night time low is still 17 to 19 degrees for that time of year. Warmer than I thought. Average high is 25 which is very tolerable. The absolute hottest it will ever get (for the afternoon games) is 32, which is what it will be almost every day for the 2026 WC.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  2. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's true but remember FIFA had to completely change the calendar to accommodate Qatar. If United 2026 had a choice weatherwise I'm sure they'd choose late spring as an ideal time for them to host and in that scenario you'd have ideal weather for the event, not just tolerable. Also many of the 2026 venues have retractable roofs and AC. So even having it in June and July will have some ideal conditions depending where you play.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I just realized that there are going to be 4 matches on Thanksgiving.

Between that and NFL Football my family is going to be so angry.
    After church I will be eating in front of a TV/tablet all day and night.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's good. Two less vacation days I'll have to burn. And maybe an early release on the previous day so can watch the 2pm Wednesday match live as well.

I recall during the 2018 World Cup that July 4th annoyingly fell on an off-day. It feels like a waste of a holiday when that happens.

voiceoflg repped this.
  5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...except I doubt FIFA would bother to adjust the schedule for a team that didn't make it :D

:(:cry:

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3956 Paul Calixte, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    A couple of (rumored) updates:

In South America, they're apparently considering the possibility of playing the first matchdays in Europe - and possibly having to wait until November.

(btw: Chimentan? What thing of beauty is this? If it is a portmanteau of comentar and chismear, then **chef's kiss** :D )

Meanwhile, reports from Honduras are that for Concacaf, 2020 is simply a no-go for WCQ, with that and the Nations League finals to start next year. No word on the format, but apparently teams are demanding a process in which they get to play at least 10 games.

deejay repped this.
  7. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF may still be ok with their format.

Hex Teams
    March 2021 - Matchday 1-2
    June2021 - Matchday 3-4
    September 2021 - Matchday 5-6
    October 2021 - Matchday 7-8
    November 2021 - Matchday 9-10

Top 3 from Hex Qualify, 4th place from Hex plays Tier II winner in March 2022. Winner of that plays InterCONTINENTAL playoffs June 2022.

Tier II may need more than 10 but I did not use the likely to be added January fixture dates that will help with that.

8. amvrosio

amvrosio New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    México D. F.
    Or Tier II go to estrict KO format

March 2021: Round of 32 (in this case, 29 teams...)
    June 2021: Round of 16
    September 2012: Quarter Finals
    October 2021: Semifinals
    November 2021: Final

March 2022: CONCACAF Play Off

June 2022.: Intercontinental Play Off

Holiday_Jenkins repped this.
  9. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would work.

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3960 Paul Calixte, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Remember that Concacaf has four matchdays in June 2021 to work with - so in your proposal, the Tier II Tournament can get the entire group stage done in March and June, with the knockout rounds from September through November. (The Nations League finals could also take place in June 2021, then.)

The downside is that Concacaf would have to pull an about-face from its last announcement on WCQ, in which they said that the format would have to change b/c of the integrity of the process being compromised (specifically, Canada and co. no longer being able to friendly their way into the Hex).

Oh man, Landon Donovan would hate this :ROFLMAO:

In this option, what you could do instead is have a prelim round (bottom 6) in March 2021 to cut the field down to 32, along with the Gold Cup playoffs and the Nations League finals. Then, you'd have the R32 and the R16 in June.

Btw, I would foresee the following convo:

Infantino: All well, but why play a Final? Both teams would have already qualified for Qatar.
    Montagliani: Because - money must be made.
    Infantino: Of course! Go with my blessing. :D

11. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA WCQ still on track. 55 teams. 10 matchdays needed for groups. 5 groups of 5 and 5 groups of 6. Group winner qualifies, group runners up advance to playoffs, 2 nations league path slots for 3rd place team not already qualified or advanced.

Schedule
    March 2021 Matchdays 1-2
    September 2021 Matchdays 3-4
    October 2021 Matchdays 5-6
    November 2021 Matchdays 7-8
    March 2022 Matchdays 9-10
    June 2022 UEFA Playoffs (12 teams, 3 mini tournaments of 4 teams for the last 3 spots. One legged semi-finals and finals.

12. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONMEBOL WCQ as it stands. If the 3 matchdays get added in January which has been requested by CONMEBOL and been floated around plus AFCON has now been moved to January 2022. If nothing gets played in 2021 this is how the schedule could look.

January 2021 Matchdays 1-3
    March 2021 Matchdays 4-5
    June 2021 Matchdays 6-7
    June/July 2021 Copa America
    September 2021 Matchdays 8-9
    October 2021 Matchdays 10-11
    November 2021 Matchdays 12-13
    January 2022 Matchdays 14-16
    March 2022 Matchdays 17-18

Top 4 teams qualify for World Cup. 5th place team advances to intercontinental playoffs.

June 2022 Intercontinental playoffs

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They should just have all the South American Qualifiers in Europe or Qatar.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You made the same mistake as me - the additional window, if it happens, would only be in January 2022 (not Jan 2021).

I don't see a way to have the normal CONMEBOL qualifying unless things get started in October 2020.

Qatar makes sense if no fans can attend anyway. At least for Oct and Nov of this year and then re-evaluate the situation in South America early next year.

If fans are allowed back in stadiums, I'd rather see them play in Madrid and/or London. Less issue with time difference and can get some atmosphere in the stadiums.

15. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. They could do 2 matchdays in October 2020 in Europe and re-examine where they are. If they can play in South America in November, great. If not, 2 more matchdays in Europe in November 2020. This would alter my calendar and change January 2022 to just 2 matchdays during that international break.

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HomietheClown repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like this idea.
    South American teams need some friendlies to get their tactics down and see what they have depth wise.

The last time they played was last November so it is almost a year since most managers have had time to work with the players.
    That is way too long!

And in Ecuador's case their manager had not even met with all the players yet.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think there is time to wait 'til November in CONMEBOL's case. The twitter quote was talking about CONCACAF.

19. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, CONCACAF can wait until March 2021 and use the planned format and be fine to get all matches in. CONMEBOL must start qualifiers by October otherwise they need to scrap the format and come up with something else.

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The twitter quote, yes, but the article out of Uruguay that I shared did suggest that Conmebol was considering having to start WCQ in Europe in November...taking advantage of the 3-match window UEFA will use for the Euro playoffs/Nations League.

HomietheClown and BocaFan repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for clarifying.

And I will emphasize again I like the idea. These teams need at least a couple of low pressure friendlies to find their bearings.
    Managers need time to get their tactics and lineups down and prepared.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, that coach has nothing to do with the Swiss MNT. :D

Paul Calixte repped this.
  23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Twitter, plenty of smoke is bellowing out of Central America suggesting that Concacaf will announce its new WCQ format on Monday, with the final round involving 8 teams.

The most comprehensive speculation I have seen so far is from La Página in El Salvador, suggesting the following:

Round 1 - Bottom 30 teams drawn into 6 groups of 5, implication that the groups would be played at neutral site(s). Top 2 in each group advance.

Round 2 - 12 survivors from R1 drawn into two-legged playoff semifinals.

Round 3 - 6 survivors from R2 drawn into two-legged playoff finals.

These first three rounds would take place from October 2020 to March 2021; the three R3 survivors would join the top 5 in Concacaf in an Octagonal, which would start in April 2021(?).

If this is accurate, it would leave 2 questions: when would the Gold Cup playoffs take place (unless Concacaf opts to abandon them)? And would Concacaf still have a Tier II tournament concurrent with the Octagonal?

24. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if FIFA would be adding an international break in April or CONCACAF petitioning them for one.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Some UEFA leagues have already finalized their 2020-21 fixture list. They don't account for any FIFA break in April.

Paul Calixte repped this.