Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea that's pretty much the same as I have been on about. :thumbsup:

Don't even have to fiddle with the draw much at all tbh. Put the 8 UEFA teams + the 3 CONMEBOL teams (if you want a more seeded feel) or the 3 AFC or CONCACAF teams (if you want less of a seeded feel) on one side and the other 11 teams on the other and then you can have an open draw from there.

In my experience it isn't so much that they don't think they deserve them, it's just that they quite often don't think they'd be likely to earn them on the pitch.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I probably would've agreed with this in 2013, but with WC expansion on the horizon I don't think this makes sense. Inter-continental playoffs kind of lose their purpose when 48 teams qualify. So I wouldn't bother doing a major restructuring of the qualifying process and introduce something that will be obsolete in 4 years.

almango repped this.
  3. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I have to even wonder how 2026 qualifiers will even work under the new format for every Confederation considering 2026 we will have 48 teams

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'd guess we're looking at minor tweaks in UEFA, OFC and AFC. Major overhaul in CAF (hopefully). CONMEBOL could go either way (keep same format or choose totally different one).

Of course in CONCACAF nothing really changes apart from 3 countries not participating in qualifying.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Qatar is under questionable working practices

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is kind of funny given the modern political landscape.

Players and Coaches around the World and even Leagues are kneeling, protesting with armbands and such when it comes to some things that are deemed wrong. (Which they have the right to do.)
    BUT

When it comes to REAL atrocities directly affecting the sport and the the dignity of the game like...
    ... what is essentially slave Labor in Qatar/...

.... there is not a peep from anyone.

Players and Coaches who know about these atrocities should speak up and maybe even Tell FIFA to change the venue or else they will boycott.

Enough is Enough.

Gistavo Amaral and Ofori repped this.
  8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    AMEN

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm not sure players know what they could do or say about it since it doesn't impact them directly (or even indirectly). Unless they are actually from Qatar.

The on-going protests over systematic racism OTOH impacts players directly. When a black player speaks-out against that we hear him because we know he's living with that shit on a constant basis.

bigsoccertst1 and sitruc repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3785 HomietheClown, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    The Premiere League just said that they are going to have armbands for someone who has nothing to do with England and their Systems of government or whatnot.

The World Cup 2022 directly impacts many players and people being used as slaves and dying building the stadiums and hotels they and their families and staff will be using. The connection is apparent.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the Copa América is on!

...in which case, the only reason Conmebol still believes it can fit all of WCQ and the Copa América into the next 1.5 years must be that FIFA and the Confeds are seriously considering longer windows in each month (Sep, Oct, Nov, next March, etc.) to accommodate 3 games in each.

12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I only posted it so Thezzaruz wouldn't feel that he was alone in his thinking I agree with 48 teams an extended playoff system isn't required as I think the new group stage takes its place. I know if we don't make the 32 team knock out stage in 2026 it will feel like a failed campaign to me..

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The latest rumor I heard is that the March matches that had to be postponed will be played in March 2022.

The intercontinental playoffs will be played in June of 2022 with the Draw occurring days after.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  14. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah me too especially where I come from...I come from CAF because I am Ghanaian by blood but I come from CONCACAF too because I am Canadian too. With Ghana, in a 48 team format like there is no excuse to miss out on 2026 but also with Canada too coming from the host nation also, gives me the chance to potentially cheer on 2 teams

15. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea the expansion of the WC itself has pretty much made any idea about an expanded qualifying system a moot point. :thumbsup:

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah it has but the fact that the 2022 FIFA World Cup has not been stripped away from Qatar even after the slavery but all the corruption surrounding it, I wonder why Infantino and company haven't done anything about it?

17. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    I think you are confused a bit.

Qatar 2022 does not affect much of the world's players. Perhaps Nepalese and Thai players, but very unlikely for the rest of the world. No Bolivian player will boycott FIFA over Qatar 2022, because it would be a joke to do so.

English Premier League has jumped on the bandwagon of paying respects for a civilian murdered by policemen. That organization wants to avoid individual players protesting during match ceremonies, in order to protect its brand: let us all kneel, to avoid anyone calling out the EPL as the bad guy here.

Football players of African descent do understand what police brutality/repression is. They know plenty of stories where police have profiled them by race.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3793 HomietheClown, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    People within all leagues should jump on the bandwagon of going against the real atrocities affecting football. The World Cup being one of the major corrupt ones.

It is hypocritical for them to shut up about the World Cup yet talk about unrelated countries and things not directly related to the sport.

There is no other way to spin it in my opinion.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am sure football players of ever color, race and creed can talk about police in many different ways.
    That is all anecdotal and irrelevant to the topic.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    If you had countries boycotting then FIFA would have no choice but to strip it away from Qatar, but no countries have come forward so it looks like Qatar 2022 will still happen

21. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    apparently AFC and CAF are planning to resume international qualifiers in October and November. They have ruled out the Aug/Sep window.

22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I like it...makes sense

23. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as its safe, I have no problem with this. I do think certain regions based on how it was getting handled will be crushed by it in the second wave.

24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I wonder what this will mean for UEFA qualifying for 2022

25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Players should speak up about this in addition to the statements and gestures they are making regarding police brutality of blacks and other minorities in the USA and other western countries.

Thanks for posting this article from The Guardian.

glennaldo_sf repped this.