Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It makes for better TV if you have a Semi and then a Final.

A Honduras-Guatemala do-or-die home and away for Univision or Telemundo would get pretty good ratings if hyped up correctly.

But it could backfire if it is Jamaica-Canada or something like that. :ROFLMAO:

andregunts, Ofori and Paul Calixte repped this.
  2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3752 Paul Calixte, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    1) The Tier I 4th place/Tier II winner playoff was going to be home-and-away, so the Tier II champ's playing two games anyways.

2) With the quality of the Tier II Tournament presumably going down (now that #7-12 will play in Tier I), I have much less sympathy for whoever emerges from there. It's one thing to have to box with Haiti, Canada, Panama and T&T, all of whom have previously been to a WC finals...now, Guatemala's only real competition for the Tier II title is Suriname. I don't see why you'd tear your clothes for a team that can make it into the Tier I/Tier II playoffs on the strength of mollywhopping St. Vincent.

3. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I would want a Canada-Jamaica match up

Paul Calixte and andregunts repped this.
  4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Esp. if the CSA were brave/foolhardy enough to schedule their home leg in Toronto :eek:

Every Four Years and Ofori repped this.
  5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I would pay good money to see it

6. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the compressed situation we’re in, I’m actually OK with this new qualifying scheme (assuming it becomes official). So these are the pots as of now:

Pot 1: Mexico (11), United States (22), Costa Rica (46)
    Pot 2: Jamaica (48), Honduras (62), El Salvador (69)
    Pot 3: Canada (73), Curaçao (80), Panama (81)
    Pot 4: Haiti (86), Trinidad and Tobago (105), Antigua and Barbuda (126)

I’m thinking this may be the best case for USA qualifying: USA, El Salvador, Curaçao, Antigua and Barbuda

But I don’t really know the teams’ current form, how they were 1-3 years ago may be way off from where they’ll be in a few months. Jamaica and Canada have given the US trouble recently but playing away at Honduras or El Salvador is never fun.

I wouldn’t mind drawing Jamaica and Canada for places to travel to for an away match experience (of course assuming the COVID situation is cleared up enough), but neither makes qualifying easier. With just 6 matches and where finishing top of the group is so important, one slip up can be fatal and 2 really hard to overcome. Being in that second chance mini-tournament isn't where they want to be. Winning it is hard enough but then maybe you draw the CONMEBOL entry to get to Qatar.

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I think inter continental it will be CONCACAF vs Asia

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Despite FIFA using a draw the last couple of times to determine opponents It has followed a rotation pattern just by chance. If that continues it will be AFC v OFC and CONCACAF v CONMEBOL.

bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  9. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Wouldn't it be just dandy if all intercontinental playoffs were done against UEFA?

I mean, make some UEFA teams travel around the world for a change, so they can see how *easy* it is.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    yeah, but eliminating two second place teams at least gave the lower tier tournament winner a fighting chance.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    before we expanded to 48 I was always a long time supporter of that concept and have posted several times in world cup allocation threads about it (and a few others).

12. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like all 2nd place teams advancing with Tier II winner because of uneven groups and theoretically you could go unbeaten and not qualify if only the top 2nd placed team advanced. Example scenaio. USA wins group A with 12 points and El Salvador 2nd with 9. Group B Costa Rica and Jamaica tie both on 14 points beating 3rd place and 4th place twice and draw each other twicebut Costa Rica win 1st on goal difference. Meanwhile Mexico win first 5 matches in Group C and are on 15 points and have a huge goal difference advantage. Honduras win against group minnows but lose big at Azteca. Mexico send a young C team to Honduras on last match day because their spot is guaranteed with huge goal difference advantage. Honduras wins. Ends up with 15 points.

2nd place teams are Honduras 15, Jamaica 14, El Salvador 9. That would be completely unfair to Jamaica in that scenaio. No losses, managed a draw at Costa Rica and even more points than a Group winner and still eliminated. That's why it has to be all 2nd place teams plus tier II winner in a mini one legged matches tournament ratcher than tier II winner against best 2nd place team in a two legged match for the last half spot.

At this stage I'm not even sure why we need to change the planned format. No other confederation is at this point. FIFA are re-doing match calendar and adding extra dates. Likely going to be 3 match international breaks instead of 2. Instead of a hex I'd prefer an Eight. Top 8 by ranking. Play league format. Top 3 go to World Cup. 4th place plays Tier II winner. They get last half spot for international playoff. Any ties on points at the end of it teams play a one legged playoff/replay like it was last century. Going forward 2026 needs to be a dfferent format with North America hosting 2026 and extra bids with 48 teams and another different format in 2030 with CONCACAF not hosting and 48 team World Cup continuing.

13. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually think they'd have better chance in 2 one legged matches against dfferent opponents rather than 1 two legged match against a team that is prbably better and more likely to show that over two legs.

BocaFan repped this.
  14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Montagliani said: the March and June 2020 FIFA matchdays disappearing from the calendar meant that teams with a fair (albeit outside) shot of catching El Salvador in the Top 6 were now denied the chance.

15. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Pretty sure UEFA (and the teams) would love that tbh.

I have suggested this too. instead of 4 teams going for 2 spots there should be a lot more teams going for 10-16 spots. IIRC one of my ideas had 12 UEFA and 4 CONMEBOL teams one one side of the draw and then 16 teams from RoW on the other (open draw and 2 legged knock out for a spot at the WC).
    People usually thought I took it way too far. :D

almango repped this.
  16. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    here is a post of mine from 2013

Sep 26, 2013
    Dont fiddle with the current allocation, just convert full spots to additional playoff spots ie

Current
    UEFA 13
    AFC 4.5
    OFC 0.5
    CONCACAF 3.5
    CONMEBOL 4.5
    CAF 5
    HOST 1

New
    UEFA 9 + 8
    AFC 3 + 3
    OFC 0 + 1
    CONCACAF 2 + 3
    CONMEBOL 3 + 3
    CAF 3 + 4
    HOST 1

20 spots through direct qualification, 11 through playoffs and 1 to the host.

Playoffs to be seeded by FIFA rankings with the draw being fiddled so all playoffs are intercontinental.

Uefa doesn't have to change the way it qualifies teams. Asia converts their 3 placed team playoff into a second placed team playoff for the 3rd auto spot (or have 3 groups in the final round). OFC no change required. Concacaf & Conmebol no change required. CAF would need to change their system again.

All those people who think their region deserves more spots should be happy, unless of course they want more spots but secretly think they don't deserve them.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess there isn't really a format where the #13 team would have a decent shot to qualify. The drop off in quality is pretty steep after the top 3 or 4.

Personally, I'm just not a fan of these one-legged playoffs which now seem to be popping-up everywhere.

18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    If this is the case, CONCACAF literally has no chance in hell especially against a South American team

19. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting idea. Any chance you can come up with something similar under the 48 team format.

20. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    It is a tough balancing act. UEFA clubs would complain about unnecessary travel to qualify via another continent.

Some might even see it as a backdoor for qualification: hey Italy, nice qualification fight against Tahiti.

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think its necessary. The group stage acts as a playoff under 48 teams to get to a final 32. If a team can't make it with 48 teams, they aren't much of a chance to make any sort of impression in the World Cup in that cycle anyway.

Thezzaruz repped this.
  22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time it happened, Costa Rica came close to knocking out Uruguay - and the hosts were so spooked that after Walter Centeno's equaliser in Montevideo (putting the ticos within 1 of pulling off the upset on away goals), the Uruguayan journalists started a brawl with Costa Rica's bench to kill the momentum on the field :ROFLMAO:

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Probably best to wait until we see who is playing who in the playoffs (both in terms of which confed and also which team) before we right off anyone's chances.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But at the same time if Asia faces Oceania, and the Oceania team is New Zealand then the All Whites actually might have a chance to qualify again especially if they face an Asian team