Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Because European-based players need to train together before a qualifiers match, visit the venue before the match, etc.
    That is why FIFA forces clubs to free such players on the Sunday before each FIFA date.
    Cannot forget staff which travels before the team, to arrange transportation/hotel/food.
    If Argentina blocks flights until September 1st, then that Conmebol qualifiers match date is toast.

2. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    No they cannot.
    South American federations are not ready yet to give up host revenue from qualifiers.

3. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I guess that makes sense but then what other alternative is there

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, FIFA frees the players on the Monday, not Sunday. So that is already August 31.

I still see many ways around it w/o having to cancel the whole matchdate
    . i.e. Paraguay trains in Paraguay (I'm thinking this is what always happens anyway) & Argentina flies into Uruguay and takes the ferry over to Argentina.

OR
    Flip the fixture so that Paraguay hosts Argentina in matchday 1, and Argentina hosts Paraguay later.

OR
    Simply request an exemption. We are literally talking about 1 day here (flying-in Monday instead of Tuesday).

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'll miss the Hex. Long live the Hex!. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Ofori repped this.
  6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020

Yes I too will miss the Hex but since they insist on changing the format to 3 groups of 4...group winners go directly to Qatar and the 2nd best placed team goes into an intercontinental playoff with Asia or Oceania most likely, then it is not so bad

7. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    #3732 bigsoccertst1, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    No national team flies twice its European-based players within a 4-day window.

European-based players must go directly to their final foreign destination to avoid travel fatigue.

Paraguay cannot switch to host Argentina on September 3 because then Paraguay would end up playing twice at home on September. That will result into an Argentina double-header at home down the road, and an Paraguay double-header away too.

The Conmebol match calendar was devised to avoid such double-headers. If Argentina is unable to properly host qualifiers, then Conmebol cannot force other national teams to accommodate Argentina.

8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah I get that but they will accommodate Argentina and that is just fact

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If they absolutely can't do double-headers, they can move the fixture to September 4. I know they can do that because they did it a few times in the 2018 qualifying.

bigsoccertst1 and Ofori repped this.
  10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Exactly like I said they will accommodate these teams

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
  13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was supposed to be the stadium for the Club World Cup final back in December 2019 no?

14. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I think so...but Qatar are right on schedule now

15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Apparently the plan for CONCACAF now:

The top 12 teams in CONCACAF region according to the FIFA World Rankings would be split into 3 groups of 4 for a double round robin, home-and-away round of qualifying matches. The winner of each group would earn direct qualification to the 2022 World Cup. The 2nd place team from each group would join the winner of the lower tier qualification tournament (which consists of teams 13-35 in the region) in a mini tournament. The winner of that 4-team bracket would advance to represent Concacaf in the inter-confederation playoff, where they could earn a spot in the World Cup with a win.

andregunts repped this.
  16. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Much better than the last suggestion, with the final 4 team mini tournament, I'm assuming it's just a 4 team knockout stage, probably only even 1 leg. This would only be one extra game.

Ofori repped this.
  17. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I miss International Football

Every Four Years and Paul Calixte repped this.
  18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have you heard that this is now part of the proposal? So far, I've only seen it suggested on Twitter (and conceded that it's a good idea)...

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah it at least makes WCQ more competitive

20. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I’m confused. So all 3 2nd place teams move on to play the winner of the lower tournament in a now 4 team mini tournament?

why can’t the best places do 2nd team just meet the winner of the lower tournament for that inter continental playoff spot?

what’s the point of winning the lower tournament if you now have to beat 3 other teams?

make it the best 2nd place team vs the winner of lower tournament and call it a day. Damn

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I would only be 2 other teams, i.e. the 3 runners-up from regular WCQ + the Tier II champ would get drawn into semifinals and a Final.

Every Four Years repped this.
  22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Because that way you eliminate 2 runners up based on points in completely uneven groups. The suggested way only adds 2 extra games in total and only 1 extra game for lower competition winner and will make sure the best team goes through as opposed to something completely random.

Every Four Years repped this.
  23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But either way if I had to do a Mock Draw for the 3 groups of 4

Group A- Mexico, Honduras, Curacao, Antigua

Group B- USA, Canada, El Salvador, Haiti

Group C- Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago (Group of Death)

24. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it’s not fair to the lower tournament team. Let’s say I’m Guatemala and I won the lower tournament. Instead of playing 1 more match to go to inter continental playoff, I need need to win 2 more instead?

no man, that’s just too much. The pathway for the lower tournament is Grueling enough.