Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I think Holland was way more motivated for the nations league, than say France.

Germany would have had much to prove after their disaster WC, but Holland v Germany has always been like a derby match.

I agree we will know more about Holland at the euro.

2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I think the matter of averages will see Costa Rica lose out, especially with Canada and Jamaica on the rise, Costa Rica top players getting old, and no serious replacements.

Sweden is also getting very old. This is one of the major indicators of a team degrading over 4 years

UEFA usually has at least a 3 to 4 team turnover every cycle

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    When it comes to teams like Canada and Jamaica it always comes down to can they go on the road in Central America and not melt under the pressure of those fierce environments. A team like Costa Rica always seems to dominate those type of teams that are not used to crazy home field advantages. If they face head-to-head against either one of those teams they seem to have a mental edge.
    Costa Rica seems to dominate Caribbean teams at home and are not afraid of anyone other than Mexico really.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out though because we do not even know what the Qualifying format will be like yet.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do not think this is possible unless you think New Zealand is going to do an epic upset over Mexico.:p

Paul Calixte repped this.
  5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think this is the tournament where CONCACAF have stacked the qualifying deck. I may be forgetting the details, but it is like 5 countries make the final round and the rest of the region qualifies for the 6th spot in that final round. So, as Costa Rica are one of the seeded countries, they will have to be pretty bad not to qualify. I'll be rooting for them; I like the country (though I have never been) and the team. As for their actual squad quality, I don't know, I haven't been paying attention.

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget what you heard: Montagliani has already admitted that the WCQ format will have to change.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Jamaica will be in Qatar come 2022 I just really hope so

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Tough to call UEFA until we see the draw. Or at least until we know the seeding method. But yeah... Iceland seems like a major doubt.

From reading the relevant part of the UEFA website I get the feeling that the 2020-21 Nations League will be cancelled, which won't help Iceland any.
    Not sure what they're gonna do about UEFA WC qualifying come to think of it. 10 groups is a super awkward number when you are have 13 teams qualifying and no NL.

9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Praying my country Ghana, the Black Stars really, really, really, really praying for Ghana that we get back to the World Cup and qualify for 2022

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me WC debutant Qatar might also qualify

BocaFan repped this.
  11. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Well obviously they are already there because they are hosts

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3712 HomietheClown, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Speaking of the CONCACAF qualifying, rumor has it the format is going to be the top 12 teams in the FIFA rankings. Three groups of 4 Home-and -away, round robin.

Winner of each of the three Groups automatically qualifies for Qatar.

The three second place teams plus the best team in a lower tier tournament battle for the playoff spot (that will be more than likely against New Zealand).

Television Networks will not like the no USA-Mexico match up format but hey, it is what it is.

Ofori repped this.
  13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For me personally I like it...it is much better than a Hex where if you are a lower ranked team you have almost no chance in CONCACAF to get to Qatar

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3714 HomietheClown, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    That being said, if you are a lower ranked team no one wants to see you playing in a World Cup anyway except for those who really are romantic underdog band wagon jumpers.

BocaFan repped this.
  15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I get that but with this new change it at least gives other countries a chance other than your usual favorites

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Back to South American Qualifying-
    I am hearing that to make up for the lost date in March that they are considering playing some Qualifiers before the Copa America in June 2021.
    FIFA is also considering allowing them to play games in January of 2022 in a special winter FIFA Match Date.

There's also rumors of 4 games being played in certain months (as oppose to just the usual two games per FIFA break).

Ofori repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Final decision on the CONMEBOL schedule will be made by FIFA June 25th.

18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Personally I like this

19. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Is there a proper source for that info?

The way I understand it, FIFA has moved its next Congress to September 18, since it will not meet on June. The FIFA Council does plan to announce the Women's World Cup 2023 host on June 25.

Conmebol will miss its September FIFA date because Argentina has closed its skies until September 1.
    Ecuadorian players will be unable to enter Argentina for their September match (September 3).

Ofori repped this.
  20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then can't they just relocate to another host neutral site

21. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    There is a possibility of flexibilization before that date, it isn't definitive. There are talks going on between government and airlines.

This is week by week. September is too far away still.

Ofori repped this.
  22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Best case they start by September but worse case is October but still I just hope they can make a decision and soon

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Am I missing something? Skies are closed until 1 Sep but the match is after that : 3 Sep. what’s the problem? Also its Paraguay that are visiting.

24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Which is why I said earlier why can't they just move it somewhere else to a neutral location? Makes perfect sense

25. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    If Argentina has not decided to open its skies yet, then how is FIFA planning to force their hand by June 25?

That is why I asked for the source regarding FIFA announcing a South American qualifiers calendar.
    Seems weird to me that FIFA would bypass Conmebol on announcing changes to South American qualifiers.