Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    USA is probably one of the worst candidates ever (Qatar doesn't count, they play in their own league). Only thing US has is infrastructure, that's all. Also, opposite to what they claim, most of their stadiums are awful choice for football world cup. And in the end I will be surprised if more than 5% of US population outside host cities even realize there is a world cup in the country :eek::D

2. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

majspike repped this.
  3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wow. Hottest take yet?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    More like ignorant take.

5. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Here's a repetition of the occasional reminder that the World Cup total attendance record of 3,587,538 fans is still held by the last World Cup to feature only 52 games, instead of 64: USA 1994.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And the next World Cup will probably sell out in hours after the draw is held in the USA.
    Millions of people of all cultures, races and creeds are ready to see another World Cup in the States.

jagum repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is just silly.

The last time the World Cup was played in the Western Hemisphere almost 27 million viewers watched.

You better believe that with social media, video apps, television streams everywhere, etc. when it is hosted in the USA a lot more people will tune in and know about it. Especially since sponsors will shove it down people's throats wherever they go.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #3358 deejay, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    I'll take that bet. I live in Tampa and we won't have a WC game so I can follow up on that. By the way, fully 50% of my boy's classmates are soccer fans above other sports. They will be 21 in 2026.

Really though, this is just silly. Soccer fandom is segmented in the US. There are a few million Liga MX fans, a few million Premier League fans and a few million MLS fans and then some fans that are only United States Men's national team fans and so on but they will all be aware of and watch the World Cup. These numbers are growing year after year and the money behind MLS is very big. If you think that the organizers don't have significant backing or the will to spend on advertising then you don't understand how things are changing in the US.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highest attended WC of all time... just sayin

10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And before we even had a legit div 1 soccer league.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  11. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    that all doesn't matter, US is no place for football world cup, noone cares about it in the states. US posters on this forum are just exceptions (that proves the rule)

EDIT: OK, most immigrants do, that's correct

12. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    To give Qatar 12 years to build infrastructure from scratch.

13. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    It's about the ongoing Swiss criminal investigation into the selection of Qatar as the host country for 2022 (and Russia as host for 2018).

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Fake news.

Paul Calixte and rooboy91 repped this.
  15. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You could have phrased that a bit more diplomatically but generally I agree. i.e. nobody cares about soccer in the U.S. apart from foreigners.

As you state, there are obviously some big exceptions i.e. people on this forum, people at our local soccer bar, the colleague at work that watches soccer week-in/week-out. Ironically because its not a mainstream sport here, those who like the sport need to be more passionate in their following than they probably would otherwise be (it required a big effort just being able to see games here not too long ago, and its still more effort than following, say, baseball).

In any case, my point is that we communicate in these small circles of people that are extra passionate and knowledgeable about soccer and its easy to think this is the norm throughout the nation ("100 people in a bar can make a lot of noise"). But its still a very niche thing here.

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No it isn't.

That investigation really doesn't involve the selection of the 2022 WC.

It's really investigating the corruption by some FIFA officials of the time when the WC got selected.
    Two diferent things.

18. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    "Americans don't really get sports that are televised without commercial breaks every five or six minutes. It wears them out. They need timeouts!"

:D

same story as europeans not figuring out baseball, or non-commonwealth people not understanding cricket ... regular story! but you do not put world series baseball into mongolia, or ashes into albania!

BocaFan repped this.
  19. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    The Swiss Federal Office of Justice must have got confused then.
    https://www.bj.admin.ch/bj/en/home/sicherheit/kriminalitaet/fussball.html

Gistavo Amaral and Hayaka repped this.
  20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #3370 Rickdog, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Next time you link something as evidence of what you supose, at least take a short while and read the first parragraph of your link.

it clearly states :

"The Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) is supporting an investigation against soccer functionaries and bribary suspects in the context of international mutual legal assistance. The US authorities suspect them of having received or paid bribes totaling in the millions in the context of awarding media, marketing and sponsoring rights in connection with soccer tournaments in Latin Amercia."

The case is clearly about investigating people's activities related to corruption. More so, besides not even mentioning Qatar or the 2022 WC, it only gives a reference to tournaments in Latin America. (Qatar, the last time I saw a map, is in Asia).

It's not about the awarding of hosting rights to Qatar.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People in the USA love a big event.
    Every 4 years people watch some no name little athletes do things in the Olympics and root for them and yell "U-S-A!" at their tvs watching their niche sports with passion.

You better believe when we host the Next World Cup it will be trending on every social media platform and every ENews website and all Television News stations everywhere in the Nation.

Every Four Years repped this.
  22. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    On that note, it will be interesting to see how the USA does. If they make even the quarters (no guarantee given the state of the US men's program, of course), it will definitely be a big "rah rah USA" for all the media outlets and a lot of people who don't normally watch will get on the bandwagon.

23. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    A better idea than just reading the first paragraph is to read both paragraphs.

24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's pretty much what happened in 2002. The big setback, of course, was the tournament taking place in the Far East which meant the Germany-USA quarterfinal kicked off on a Friday morning at 7:30am ET (4:30am for folks like myself on the Left Coast). Not an ideal time for TV ratings.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not more than other countries though. What I notice with the Olympics following in the US is the huge bias towards events/sports that the US does well in. Again, probably not any different than other countries. But it underscores @Every Four Years ' point.