Qatar 2022: News and Analysis Only!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by bungadiri, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Such as?

The FA declares they will abstain.

What else has the FA done? Nothing.

2. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Re: Federations stepping away from FIFA?

Look like you were dead wrong on that one.:rolleyes:

3. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Their former chairman is on record as accusing several ex co members of corruption. The English newspapers are all over FIFA. Their minister of sport has spoken to several other (unnamed) F.A.'s about possibly pulling out of FIFA if they can't change the organisation from within. I'd say the English are doing more than anyone else by a long way.:cool:

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The former chairman is on record not because of an FA initive, a commitee was set up to find the reasons behind wh yEngland didn't get 2018, this guys reasons where because of corruption, not because of his own bidding teams failings. Thats hardly being pushed by the FA.

The newspapers are all over what? So the newspapers are running the FA now?

The minister for sport is speaking with other FA's. Is that the English FA pursuing this? Shouldn't FIFA have banned the English FA now because of government interference?

All to me sounds like the English FA are sat on their backsides as usual and the hystera comes from everyone else.

Remember, I did ask you about the English FA, not about the English.

5. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    I wish FIFA would ban the F.A. for "government interference" then the sh-t would really hit the fan. FIFA doesn't have the balls to ban the English F.A.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Thanks for replying back to my previous response to yourself. Seem's you refuse to reply to my questions though. So I guess I was correct.

As for FIFA banning England. Well, it would give them the great excuse to then withdraw from FIFA. Mayeb they coud set up a new international body with the other currently suspended nation, Brunei.

7. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Abstaining is certainly a positive start and is much more than say, the US Soccer Fed has the balls to do. They would prefer to be led around by the nose by Warner, the biggest crook in FIFA.:rolleyes:

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're in England, right?

Is it typical in England for a person convicted of robbery to get to keep his money? I mean, I'm not saying that FIFA must take away the 22 Cup from Qatar if corruption is proven. But the idea that FIFA can't do that strikes me as really, really odd. Whether you mean "must" in a legal sense, a moral sense, or a practical sense, none of them make sense.

Perhaps you could explain further what you're trying to say?

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    If the cup went back up for bidding, then we start a bigger war in football. At the moment, the '22 tournament is tarnished. To rebid does what? To myself it opens up a bigger can of worms, every tournament in the future gets questioned, can we set this standard? Everyone who loses out will cry foul and try getting back in on a technacality.

The '22 tournament has been awarded, so it should stay. Who organises it is the question. Is it fair to tke something away from a nation because of what a few people may have done. It's the criminials who need to be found and punished, not a whole nation.

Like you use the example of someone doing a robbery, do they keep the money. No, but they don't bring down the whole nation with them.

Taking away the tournament from Qatar would make people thing again for future tournaments, but the fallout that this can bring is unthinkable. The game on a whole whould just go from court case to court case.

If anything, the best thing FIFA could do is if they find the whole of the Qatari Organising Commitee guilty, then they should maybe scrap 2022 tournament altogether. They could make the next Confed Cup, say 2023 bigger and use this as a joyous moment to bring old and new champions together to fill the void.

But what FIFA msut do is investigate this and have closure before 2014 WC in Brazil. Then we can move on, get 2014 out of the way, lay down proper plans to decide on where it goes. If guilty, cancel the damm thing and bid on 2023Confed Cup and be done with it. 2026 can bring the cycle back to normaility.

10. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As much as I'd like to see Qatar stripped of 2022 and think they should be it's not going to happen. Remember this is FIFA of all things, they held the 1978 World Cup in Argentina when it was under a military dictatorship, 1934 was held in Fascist Italy, the vote was rigged in 2010 to make sure that South Africa (Blatter's pet project) got it because it was beaten by Germany in 2006. FIFA Presidents have no qualms about destroying the idea of fair play to give the tournament to those they want to host it.

11. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All indications are that Blatter wanted the 2022 WC to be in the US.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, your line of argument all along has been that there's nothing unusual about Qatar '22, and your argument here follows that logic.

But most people don't agree with your underlying point. Most people DO think awarding a Cup to a nation-state was weird. And if (big if, but that's the premise underlying this hypothetical, remember) there are proven allegations of payoffs, then, again, most people would think there's something weird about letting an FA bribe its way to hosting a World Cup.

I'll agree that until there's proof of bribery, Qatar '22 is safe. But if that proof emerges, do you really think that it still would be safe? I mean, you talk about moving it being embarassing to FIFA. Well, yeah, but would that be more or less embarassing than keeping it there?

13. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you eliminate Qatar for their bribery and award the rights to the second place country. No need to rebid, no need to open a can of worms. You send a strong message to discourage future cheating on bids.

14. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's why he voted South Korea until they were knocked out? Blatter didn't really have a horse in 2022, if he did it damn sure would have won. Just like South Africa in 2010.

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No, you don't award it to second place, because if Qatar was never in the draw, the outcome would have been different. If second place thought they were really that good then they wouldn't have a problem with re-draw.

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Why is it weird? Everyone who bids for the world cup needs government backing. Qatar got the backing of their nation just like everyone else. So how is it weird? Indonesia didn't get the backing and had to pull out for example, so where you want to go with this Dave?

As for banning the whole country from hosting? Why? If one person is found guilty then they should deal with that person, not the whole country. It's like giving a player a red card and then sending the whole team off as well. This doesn't happen.

It's like someone in your workplace smashes a window, does everyone else have to pay for it? Why should you be punished?

There's lots of allegations going around, but at this moment none of them have been investigated. When they are, and they should be, then something should be done about it. But to think that only Qatar or Russia had a part to play in the outcome is just wrong, everyone needs investigating and then we will realise that actually there's more to it. But the investigations start way back in the 2006 bidding ring when things were start of all ugly things happened. Did FIFA do anything? No. Will they do anything now? With there track record no.

17. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Qatar failed to meet many of the technical criteria FIFA required of a bid. And yet they ended up garnering most votes. That seems pretty "weird" to me.

18. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you on that one, but can they really do a revote? Salt Lake City was proven to have paid voters for the Olympics, but they didn't do a revote.

19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Well thats kind of twisting the question I answered isn't it. What you say is weird yes, but maybe the countries with the best technical bids might just have bribed there way to the top of a report which in fact didn't matter.

Maybe answer Dave's statement that it's weird that a state got the World Cup, not weird really when you think about it. What would be more weird is a world cup in America were you play one day on LA and the next in New York, now thats weird.

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    You want them to do a revote because it's werid?

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And maybe pigs can fly... do you really not see a difference between an objective (and publicly available) report on the technical criteria of each bid, and a secretive bid process where there are allegations of bribery?

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I don't think there should be a revote, but I do think there should be a credible independent investigation into the whole bid process, with reforms taking place as a result. Blatter's two bit ethics committee is simply a joke.

23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following that rationale, if a corporate executive gives a bribe in order to secure a government contract for his company, then the only consequences should be that he gets fired. The contract shouldn't be cancelled and re-bid.

So, all any bid committee needs to do is have one guy give all the bribes, and they can get the World Cup without fear that bribery will harm them down the road.

You really should think these things through.

24. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    I don't remember that happening, sorry, can you quote or link to some of those posts? Cheers.

25. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    With the stakes so high for FIFA Prez this issue about Q22 is finally being addressed.Blatter no doubt wants Binman to be shown up as the devil and is using Q22 to achieve it.Binman is also using the voting process for hosting rights as a major part of his argument.

The wonderful thing in all of this though is to see 2 pathetic people squeal and suffer as the election gets closer.

I want the truth about Q22.We all have our theories,but I want it turned into fact.Nothing short of a FIFA revamp,hosting rights revote and the expulsion of the Qatari FA will suffice in my view though