Qatar 2022: News and Analysis Only!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by bungadiri, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    since they were obviously bribed, should Qatar have the games taken away? imo yes. they broke the rules.

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    If there is proof, then absolutely.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I think you will find that the article says allegations. No obvious about it.

Do you not see that there is an election coming up and things will get dirty.

But where do you want games to be played? All the other bidders for the tournament practically claimed they would never bid again, so would they coming running back?

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I hope they all leave FIFA high and dry. If the allegations are proven, it would be hilarious to see FIFA squirmingly stuck with a corrupt host.

5. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    you give the games to the runner-up ie the US. we have the infrastructure and have the capacity to hold the games. plus we're actually good at soccer, Qatar has never reached the World Cup, in fact has never come close to qualifying for it.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years back there was a scandal in Serie A and the first place team was stripped of the Scudetto. Who got it that year?

7. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    If the allegations are true, it's a bit more complex because many relate to the '18 bid and may not implicate the chosen host but simply raise the lid on a very corrupt bidding process in general for both '18 and '22. Selecting the runner up in a provenly corrupt process might not be the best thing to do.

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Well, not really, you would say Qatar are eliminated at the first stage of balloting, if this did happen, who know's which way would anyone vote.

So, it would have to start all over again.

Oh, and by the way, Qatar have come close to qualifying before, in a qualifying section much bigger than little mini Concacaf. Join Concacaf with Conmebol and then maybe you could compare.

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    That was played over 9 months, a competition.

The WC bidding is a completely different kettle of fish. It would have to start all over. Giving it 2 second spot wouldn't be right as in theory Qatar took another nations place in the final round. So, a whole re-voting process would be needed.

But, I know where your coming from. You wanted the World Cup, you didn't get it, and complained and stated you'd never want it anyway, but the slight chance of getting back in because of allegations which at the moment are just allegations and your a child again, oh, me, oh, me. Let me in, I want it!!

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Oh, yeah, best to come second.

So, a few years back there was a scandal in the Lebanese Premier League and the first place team was stripped of the title. Who got it that year?

11. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    if a do-over is needed then do a do-over. US, Australia and England.ok qatar has come close but looking at thier scores from qualifying in 2010, they got beat solidly in the last round and were never a threat to qualify. does anyone here expect them not to get crushed 4, 5, 6-0 by teams like Brazil argentina or Germany?

12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Ok, so suddenly your going to sneak England into a 22 world cup, something they didn't enter!! Thats the joke really, suddenly we chaneg goalposts.

Oh, Argentina beat Qatar 3:0 in 2005, not the scores you predict. So i guess I don't expect them to get crushed.

As for never being a threat to qualify for 2010, are you show, they started rather well, they had a bad middle period but came back strong and thats not actually bad for a nation that many simply describe as shit, so there actually punching above their weight.

But where's your issue with Qatar? The national team or the organising commitee guys?

13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cleanest solution would be a re-vote. Any of the original bid countries would have the option of re-submitting. Except Qatar, who should be eliminated from consideration if it's determined they bribed or attempted to bribe members of the voting committee. Any member of the voting committee who tooks bribes should be banned from FIFA and any position in soccer for life. Qatar should also be banned from international competition for some number of years and all of its bid organization should get a lifetime ban.

Any such vote, and all future FIFA WC votes, must be public. No more secret ballot.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So the cleanest way is to ban Qatari footballers because of what a couple of organising commitee members might have done?

Is it fair to then ban the nations of whomever took these alleged bribes?

Who then re-imburse's the state of Qatar for any infrastructure put in place since winning the hosting rights? You know full well stadiums, mono rail links wouldn't happen otherwise, so when and if this goes to court, we would be talking 2 yeras down the line of new infrastructure put in place. Who's paying?

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Before everyone gets ahead of themselves and anoints a successor to Qatar keep in mind if there is enough evidence for FIFA to overturn the results. The evidence against Qatar is so far anonymous or hearsay. What does seem solid is Triesman's firsthand testimony against some of the ExCo members.

Seems to me that all we'll have is a few expelled members.

16. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FIFA was serious about cleaning up corruption, imposing some pretty heavy penalties would be a very good idea. I doubt it will happen, but unless bidding countries and FIFA executives know that taking and offering bribes would mean the end of one's involvement in the soccer world, the corruption will continue.

And I'm fine with your suggestion that the countries of those FIFA ex-com members who accepted bribes be given a ban. That would put pressure on the national associations to make sure their representatives were clean.

And Qatar can sue FIFA if it wants. Maybe if we're really lucky, they'll win and end up dissolving the organization. But I'm not going to shed any teams over Qatar losing money because of their corruption.

17. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should be done. Besides, the 2022 WC isn't for another 11 years.

18. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't re-vote. FIFA is too corrupt to see how blatantly corrupt it is. They'll slap some hands and Blatter will come out with some ridiculous BS that nobody believes and they won't change a ********ing thing.

19. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. End of story.

20. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    A re-vote is out of question. Nothing illegal was done. "Unethical" doesn't mean illegal.

And folks saying Qatar should be banned from soccer are truly nuts.

Where do these holier than thous stand on the Salt Lake City Olympics scandal? In that case, the organizing committee had bribed 10 members of the IOC, and the investigation had revealed this in 1998. All 10 members were fired, and the Salt Lake City Organizing committee members resigned.

So were the 2002 Olympics taken away from Salt Lake City? Was USA banned from future Olympics? Were the holier than thous on this thread passionately arguing for the USA to be banned from future Olympics due to corruption?

I wonder why.

21. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the legality of it have to do with whether or not there should be a re-vote? It's wrong and it should be made right. The end. Not having a re-vote is essentially condoning bribery.

Of course, like I said in my previous post, FIFA won't even consider it.

22. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    the committee for bribing members of FIFA. i understand of course that there is a loit of politicking involved in getting any major international event (Olympics WC etc), what Qatar is accused of doing goes beyond politicking. its illegal to bribe someone, period, and Qatar is accused of giving millions in order to secure votes. so the ones who took bribes should be banned for life from soccer, and the penaties on qatar's organization should be harsh.

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Whilst I agree with this principle, its important to note that all we have at this stage are allegations with no evidence to back it up. If more comes out, then maybe action should be taken. If delegates were demanding money (and other things) for votes, then they would have demanded it from more people than a sacked bid leader with a barrow to push. If others start to come out with the same sort of accusations then maybe there is a case to answer. Right now, I can't see one.

24. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say this but the IOC isn't the World Cup. Including South Africa all World Cup's to date have been profit makers, the aforementioned SLC were some of the most successful Winter Olympics ever but after it the next have posted losses. Also while the IOC is as dirty as FIFA it isn't viewed as corrupt when it holds events but most are tired with obvious match-fixing and other allegations.