Qatar 2022: News and Analysis Only!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by bungadiri, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Middle of winter in June in Australia...

2. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like SOUTH AFRICA.

3. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like the beginning of winter, which is probably still over 60 degrees F during the day.

4. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Red Card

Nov 21, 2011
    Australia eh? Great footballing nation that it is, can't play domestic football until October because of Aussie Rules, the fans don't get behind the domestic game.

Everyone says no one watches Qatari football, I do, and Australia has 21 million more people but only about 12,000 more fans per game, talk of football loving is cheap.

And to say everyone thinks Qatari MBH is corrupt, hell, I wonder how FFA got into AFC then?

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683763

7 January 2011
    19:15
    Qatar 0 – 2 Uzbekistan Khalifa International Stadium, Doha
    Attendance: 37,143

12 January 2011
    China PR 0 – 2 Qatar Khalifa International Stadium, Doha
    Attendance: 30,778

16 January 2011
    Qatar 3 – 0 Kuwait Khalifa International Stadium, Doha
    Attendance: 28,339

21 January 2011
    16:25
    Japan 3 – 2 Qatar Al-Gharafa Stadium, Doha
    Attendance: 19,479

Amazing how the attendance dropped for each game. They couldn't even get 20,000 people out for a quarterfinal against a popular Japanese team at HOME. Yes, I know Al-Gharafa seats 22,000, but it wasn't even sold out. Khalifa is around 50k in case you were wondering.

Also, note the above tournament took place just a month after the Qatar winning bid was announced. You'd think that would prompt higher attendance.

25 January 2011
    19:25
    Uzbekistan 0 – 6 Australia Khalifa International Stadium, Doha
    Attendance: 24,826

Australia drew almost as well as Qatar IN Qatar for their quarterfinal match.

Average attendance for the Qatar Stars League: 4,211
    Average attendance for A-league: 8752

6. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Red Card

Nov 21, 2011
    Well, like you said, you'd think it would prompt a higher attendance, well it did. 4,000 avergae for QSL and then double figures for Asian Cup with one months notice during the holiday season, quite a leap if you ask me.

Seem's you favour Australia Dave although they went out in the 1st round. Seem's you favour an Asian World Cup even though USA were 2nd best and if Qatar had to withdraw then surely it would go to them?

7. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Australia is a terrific country, but great stadia...not by a long shot. Several of the stadia proposed in the bid are actually Aussie Rules stadia (and thus circular), meaning that supporters would end up sitting miles from the pitch and with horrible sightlines.

Probably why Australia's bid only received 1 vote and was the first country eliminated...

8. Deathstar

Deathstar Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Syd Er Knee
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Opinion from When Saturday Comes

More at the site of the best football mag...

9. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Opinion from When Saturday Comes

EuroSnobs at there finest. Destroying and Ruining the local leagues.

10. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Australia is the choice for me because FIFA are obliged to award the competition to the Asian region. Were it up to me I'd just keep the tournament in Europe and have done with it.

Qatar have not even come close to qualifying for a World Cup, and to award such a team one of the thirty-two places just doesn't sit right with me. I'd have just as much a problem if the tournament were awarded to a European nation like Finland.

11. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Red Card

Nov 21, 2011
    But Qatar very nearly did make France 98, so when you have very little knowledge like that then you don't really have a valid viewpoint or opinion on said subject.

In fact if they had won their final game against Saudi Arabia who were a powerhouse in the region at the time then they would have qualified.

12. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If, if, if... The fact is, they didn't. I hope the World Cup in Qatar goes ahead though, just for the lulz it provides when it fails spectacularly.

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

...powerhouse in the region....says it all.

14. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Red Card

Nov 21, 2011
    The fact is also that they were 1 game away, thats totally different from the previous poster saying they have never come close.

15. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Red Card

Nov 21, 2011
    And that was true around the era we were talking about. Can't see your point in responding to that.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Just making the point that "powerhouse" is relative....that "powerhouse" in the region got waxed in wc 2002 7-0 by the worst German team in living memory...

17. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Red Card

Nov 21, 2011
    Talking 98 world cup qualifiers and you suddenly jumped forward 4 years. Well done. Well researched. You'll get the result right one day.

18. Clemson Soccer

Apr 29, 2010
    Why are they obliged to award the tournament to Europe. North America was the only region not to be awarded the World Cup because they ended the cycle. By 2022 the confederation will not have had a World Cup in 28 years.

19. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't still a regionally powerhouse in 2002?

Also, that 98 Saudi team did what exactly in the WC? A draw against South Africa?

Fine, Qatar made it close to qualifying for the world cup once. Other than that, they have been crap. You happy?

20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think technical aspects had much to do with voting. Our one lonely vote was more likely a result of us having no representation on the Exco (the only bidder for either World Cup to be in this situation) and someone deciding that every bidder should have at least one vote.

21. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    You're too generous. Qatar came fourth in a qualifying group of five, that's not my idea of close.

Sure, Saudi Arabia topped the group with only 4 more points than Qatar, but the reason that it was a close finish was because all of the other teams in the group took points off the Saudis. Whereas Qatar lost to them twice, without scoring a goal.

Meanwhile, if Qatar had conceded a single goal in Kuwait they would have finished bottom.

22. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What, by finishing fourth in their second-stage group, losing four matches en route? One might as well offer the ridiculous suggestion that Lithuania should host the next European Championship finals on account of their missing out on a France '98 play-off place by a single point.

But they didn't, did they?

23. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are talking about one occasion my friend - a one-game scenario that took place thirteen years ago. Iceland were more recently one game away from qualifying for the Euro 2004 finals - should we use this to promote them as potential tournament hosts?

You quite obviously work for the Qatari propaganda ministry and I claim my five bucks.

24. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares how their national team has done? They could have a great team and that wouldn't change the fact that they're a horrible choice for WC host.

1 person likes this.
  25. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed, but any argument against is always best bolstered by value-free sporting criteria. For instance I am not the biggest fan of Russia being awarded the WC in 2018, but at least the country does have a decent footballing history.