Qatar 2022: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would that be?

2. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, poor people always say that. It's your greater intelligence that's keeping you poor :rolleyes:

And beauty queens as an example of intelligence? You South Americans are obsessed with beauty pageants, so I wouldn't throw stones if I were you.

3. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Because the rest of the world call them supporters. :D

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm sure we can trot various examples of stupidity from any given country. Can we give the jingoism a rest? This thread is not about Chile, Bolivia, Argentina or the US.

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    On the contrary my friend, it helps us overcome our long standing poverty and rate of development, where we have learned how to relate ourselves better with our neighbours and with the whole rest of the world, despite any existing diferences, which at the end makes us all, less dependable on the USA, as it used to be in the past, allowing us all, reach higher growth rates than before, and maybe some day get out of the list of poor countries. At least, regarding my country, Chile, we recently changed our former status of having an unpayable international debt, to a payable one (an issue that all poor countries have to deal with), which means that if everything continues as it is nowdays, in less than 10 years, we will not owe a dime to anyone, and instead of being forced to invest in paying a debt to others, we will be able to invest more on ourselves. As for international trade agreements, we are the country that has the most of them in the whole world.
    :cool:

Sure, no problem on my side.
    It`s just that some of these guys, each time they get challenged in any of their lousy arguments, they tend to change the issue of the topic and start making it into a sort of competition between them and others, in other areas that have no relevance to the topic.
    ;)

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. This is only possible because FIFA ignored their own rule about number of cities for a host. Like I've said before, Qatar has the intelligence of the mobster, of the corrupt cop. It's easy to "win" if you don't have to play by the rules and everyone else does.
    2. You see this as a good thing. But it's a bad thing. It's better for 100,000 people each to see one match in a day than for 50,000 to see two matches. At least it is in my book.

Do you want to go on record as saying that fewer people seeing more matches is a good thing? Let us know.
    India? Really?

And how many Chinese will go if China doesn't qualify????

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    At least more, than as much US-americans, if they don`t either.
    :rolleyes:

However, if they do classify, they'll probably outnumber everyone

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So you spent much longer in the US to form a much better opinion then.

I find people who denigrate the likes of Qatar are generally people who've never been anywhere near the place ;) So, thanks for telling us about your holidays, have you got anything to add about the football?

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You didn`t like Qatar`s definition of "city" ?,
    well it`s your problem, as FIFA has no definition for it, they had to accept it as how the Qataris presented it in their bid.
    Yes, they played their cards very smart on this one. A bow to their wisdom.

You are saying it, not me.
    I only said it is a dream come true for footballers, the posibility to see two or more games in diferent stadiums on a same day, of a WC.

FIFA cares "zeroe", on who buys the tickets, as long as he pays for them. In fact, they give a damn, if who buys them even assists or not, as they understand that whoever buys the ticket and doesn`t assist to the game, the one losing its money will not be FIFA, but the interested part who actually bought the ticket.

Next time you want to praise on "equal rights for everyone" to assist to a game, go to the United Nations and present there your case.
    This is about Football/soccer and the FIFA WC, and here only who buys a ticket, is who decides if to enter the stadium to see a game, or use it as toilet paper if he wishes it for. :p

10. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Its pretty clear you know nothing about India and China.

Having spent a semester in India during college as an exchange student, I can recollect the amount of soccer fanaticism in that country, which has more Brazil and Argentina fans than Brazil and Argentina. In another thread on BS, I posted newspaper clippings and Youtube videos on the amount of soccer fanaticism in those 2 countries. Go to any Albiceleste fan site on the internet which is English-based, and you find more Indian posters than Argentine.

These folks were not important till now since they were too poor to travel extensively to a World Cup. If you have had any business dealings with those 2 countries, you'll see thats quickly changing with changes to the global economy. India is a 2 hour flight from Qatar. I'll be very surprised if there aren't hordes of Indians in Qatar with wearing Brazilian and Argentine jerseys.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Should have known that you wouldn't understand the cloud idea Davie Boy

Look at it this way, the clouds will provide shade, in turn keeping the players cooler. Whats wrong with this? If it was introudced anywhere else, you'd be praising the idea wouldn't you?

Hey, the good thing about the comedy shows and yourself and other anti's here is that you believe in the tournament, you try to tell us it will be a disaster and you'd rather stay away, but you follow everything about it.

12. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch

I believe he's saying that "artificial clouds" are basically pie-in-the-sky and a fantasy and I agree with him.:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same dynamic that compels you to watch a train wreck. This Qatari train wreck is moving in really slow motion, so we get to guiltily enjoy the disaster for over a decade.

1 person likes this.
  14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Since when has it been a train wreck? Awarded the tournament 4 months ago and your calling it a train wreck. You would think the losing bids are the train wreck wouldn't you? All those dreams dashed just like that. How to make you feel better? Of course, just complain on the web.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, actually 2026 can go to Europe. The idea of having two out of every 3 WC's outside UEFA was.... cute. But it's not sustainable. You in fact illustrate the reason why its not sustainable: eventually only 3, then only 1, then zero non-UEFA countries are reasonable choices.

*cough* Canadian shoppers *cough*

ummm... right, the number of tourists that visit a foreign country and what foreign country people would rather visit, are 2 different things. And what foreign country football fans would prefer to watch a major football tournament in is a different thing than those other 2 different things.

You won't be missed. Demand for tickets will far exceed supply anyway.

16. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  17. Misterioso

Misterioso Member

Dec 10, 2005
    It turns out that Canadian and Mexican shoppers account for 57% of the US international visitors. If you take out those two groups the "everybody in the world wants to visit USA" argument is all of the sudden less valid than "everybody in the world wants to visit Malaysia"

18. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That still leaves like 25 million visitors a year to the US. Which is still 20 million or so more than travel to Brazil.

20. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ok, in tourism you are great, but in football/soccer which is the issue of this forum, you suck real bad and in regards to Brazil, they have 5 WC Championships against your "0" WC championships.

What are we going to discuss next ?

For once, try to stick up to the topic

:p

22. Deathstar

Deathstar Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Syd Er Knee
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    At the moment it's not a reality just a 3D visualization produced by a third rate academic hoping to earn brownie points with the ruling family.

23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try to use small words, as we've already established that Chileans are frightfully stupid.

A country's national team's soccer prowess is wholly irrelevant to the question of its ability to actually host a WC. Those are two completely different things. You have to understand this. You can't be that stupid, can you?

No one is denying that Brazil is a the premiere soccer nation in the world. But their ability to actually efficiently run a major sporting event is much, much more questionable. On the other hand, Qatar is not only a terrible soccer nation, but their ability to succesfully host a WC is much, much more questionable than countries like South Africa and Brazil.

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If there is any, with your own words : "established frightfully stupid one" here, it is yourself alone, who insists despite being told many times over and over that this topic is not about the USA or Brazil, or even Chile, but about QATAR 2022: NEWS & ANALYSIS, so if you don`t have news, with the respective links to them about which to discuss relating Qatar 2022, cut it off.

Secondly, I would prefer you call me stupid directly at me, as you can`t give that qualification to all my fellow countrymen, only in regards to what you think about me. If you don`t understand the diference, it only proves how dum-dum you are.
    :p

25. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh, the comedy of this thread is seemingly endless.