Qatar 2022: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Oh, dee dums. So what your saying is that any developing football nation should forever stay in the background and be a developing nation. They aren't allowed to come to the ball. Pity that wasn't the theroy in 94, in 02, in 10.

This is the World Cup for all, not the American World Cup for whoever America choses to participate. Anway, how you Americans findling the UEFA game? You certainly find it hard to follow your own league which is maybe a point to follow before you try dictating elsewhere?

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what you wrote. Here's the first example I found.

3. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Truth hurts?
    I was all for S. Africa hosting the WC, or India, China, Egypt, Russia(which I think a good host, and I look forward to attending), Chile, Ecuador, Colombia, even Indonesia but Qatar, there is no legacy to be left there. I don't care if the US does not get it in a million years, as long as countries where a successful cup can be held are the ones chosen. Where the game can be expanded, where the game will leave a legacy besides business.

BTW sorry to break your heart, I am only American from having moved here. I happen to be a Hispanic, whose 4 grandparents are from Spain or France (Hence my love for a certain European club). I actually do follow my futbol in Honduras like a maniac, Motagua has broken my heart quite a few times, so has la H. But I understand that a country like Honduras should not host a WC, it would not work, and I am not blinded by my love for my country.

Similar feeling about the US, I hoped to have it here because it would have been easier to go watch games and people have a hots for football after the summer, but the real choice should have been Australia. (whom BTW don't have a great football tradition)

Qatar was simply a ridiculous choice.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So, your saying there is legacy to be held in practically every country except the one it will be hosted in.

Do you know anything about these countries you mention that will leave a legacy? Did you know that Indonesia can't even run a succesful domestic league? That India just last year had one of their biggest clubs withdraw for example? They can't run a simpleton league, never mind a world cup.

What legacy do you want Qatar to leave?

5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is quite a difference between what laymen consider proof, and what can be proven in court. Much of the proof that has come out wouldn't be admissible in court. Many of the people who could provide relevant evidence couldn't be compelled to testify. Do you think the governments of Russia or Qatar would co-operate with any investigation and/or compel their WC bid executives to provide evidence and give testimony?

I know you prefer to smugly enjoy the US not getting the WC in favor of a non-Western country. But you should at least try to have some intellectual integrity in this matter and try to be objective about the evidence. Anyone who thinks the Russians and Qataris didn't stoop to bribery to win their bids is delusional, naive or stupid.

Infrastructure and stadiums are the most important consideration by a significant factor. The WC isn't about some hippie-dippy idea of making non-Westerners feel good about themselves. The most important consideration should be allowing players to play the sport in the best facilities possible. The second-most important consideration should be to make sure that fans have the most convenient and enjoyable experience possible.

The US can meet both of these requirements quite handily. Qatar cannot.

6. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, let me get this straight. Part of the requirements for a succesful WC bid involves giving free stuff to other countries?

And this was contained where in the FIFA rules for a bid, exactly? Or is FIFA just making it up as they go along to give themselves cover for taking Qatari bribes?

Personally, I'd be thrilled if the WC was always hosted by European nations. South America, not so much. Most of the countries down there would have a tough time figuring out how to host a kid's birthday party.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It`s not a requirement, but it sure helped them get the votes and also it set a new bar by which you can measure the extent of the legacy you pretend to ensure in a WC bid.

If you can`t understand the diference between a legacy for many nations (beside the one for the host), specially the most poor of them, with the legacy only for the one who is hosting it, well if in the future, next time you make a WC bid and don`t include any legacy for other nations as well, while your competition does, it`s very likely that you`ll lose again. More so, if your country considers itself among the most powerful and rich above the rest.

It doesn`t need to be established among the requirements for a WC bid.
    (it's simple common sense)

Respectful opinion, and if it were completely true, then you guys should learn and try to copy it from us, as we have won many WC's in the past, despite not being able to figure out how to host a kid's birthday party, while you guys haven`t even been close to anyone at all.
    :p

8. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's quite a difference between being good at the sport and being able to succesfully host the sport's most important event.

Brazil is certainly good at soccer. But I have much less confidence in their ability to host the WC or the Olympics than I do in the ability of its players to win games. I wish them luck, but I wouldn't travel down there for either of those events.

I think that's going to be one of the biggest problems with Qatar. Potential WC travellers are going to look at the destination and say "meh" and stay home and watch it on TV. That wouldn't be the case if the WC was in the US or Australia.

9. Misterioso

Misterioso Member

Dec 10, 2005
    You should get a passport, USA is not a paradise and the rest of the world is not shit hole. It may come as a shock, but a lot of people around the world would rather visit Brazil (or many other countries) than USA.

10. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This may have already been posted...but..WTF.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9435268.stm

Edit: If they want, I'll offer my services:

Current ideas:

A big tent over the stadium
    Underground stadiums
    100ft air fans around the pitch
    Buying Greenland and calling it Qatar II...

..my personel preference however, is making a really really long pole up to the moon, so we can push off it...and change the axis of the earth slightly.

11. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'ver aleady got two passports, so I'm good, thanks. And the US is the #2 most-visited country in the world, getting more than ten times as many foreign tourists every year as Brazil. New York City alone probably gets more tourists every year than Brazil (never mind Qatar).

Yeah, I guess there are some people who'd rather travel to Brazil than the US, but not many.

12. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Having visited both the USA and Brazil I'd much rather live in the USA thank you very much.

13. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Artificial clouds... are you f-ing sh--ting me????? :eek:

What next?

14. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I prefer that the World Cup is held in different countries everytime. 28 years is too soon to have it again in the same country.

Irony is apparently lost on you.

So according to you, it is so clear as daylight that Qatar bribed everyone, even if there is not an ounce of proof available anywhere. And it's impossible to sue anyone for corruption because things like subpoenas and international law don't work in that corrupt "rest of the world" country that are apparently lawless lands run by thugs.

After all who needs proof when you have the opinions of Americans.

That's "intellectual integrity" for you.

Only someone "delusional, naive or stupid" would request a ridiculous thing like proof when the media of the losing bid country has already given their opinion.

That is your opinion. There are many many people in this world for whom the World Cup means different things.

And if the rest of the "hippy dippy" people on the planet bother your republican sensibilities so much, why do you bother yourself with a global sport, that is played by most countries that you don't approve of. As has been mentioned several times, you can stay happy by sticking to single country sports like the NFL.

Or team up with other countries that you approve of and organize your own Cup. No one prevented you from doing so.

15. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Does that mean you and the rest of you country club people aren't going to be in Brazil in 2014 or Qatar in 2022???

Best news I have heard all day!!

Now the real passionate fans can enjoy those World Cup without running in to so many self righteous folks, who frankly should never travel out of their "paradise" countries.

16. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Oh I would too. I love the USA and most of the American people.

But for a 1-month soccer tournament, I would love to travel to Brazil. Nothing can match the passion of 5-million Brazilian fans doing the Samba dance on Copa Cabana beach before drum-marching to the game in Maracana. Sounds more fun than driving to an NFL stadium far away in the suburbs, in an atmosphere where most people don't care about the sport.

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Thats the key there, visited. You obviously form your opinions from short holidays. Both countries are huge, so what part are you planning on living in? The shithole parts or the overly priced parts?

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Oh yes, and there is also an even greater diference, between being able to succesfully host the sport's most important event, and with the right of deserving it, in name of the worlds best interest. (the only best interest you guys are able to understand, is the one that will only benefit you guys and no one else).

Very true, while on the other hand, in regards to them, you suck, so if you don't go to any of those events, no one will really miss you, as you are easily replaceable. Maybe even Qatar can take your place instead, :p

Here you fail horribly. WC travellers will go wherever it takes place, as they are fans of the game, not about where it takes place.
    The game is what all of this, is about.

19. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Travelled extensively throughout the USA over several months and spent about a month in Brazil. I find that people who denigrate the USA are generally people who've never been anywhere near the place.:rolleyes:

20. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, my Bolivian friend is right- Chileans are stupid. We're talking about fans here, not national teams. The US national team will almost certainly be playing in Brazil, Russia and Qatar. But that has nothing to do with whether fans from the US and Europe will travel to Brazil or Qatar.

Don't be silly. The location of the WC is just as important as the event. Yeah, I'm sure there is a hardcore of fans that don't care about the location. But the majority of potential WC tourists are going to be extremely hesitant to take weeks off from work to go to a place like Qatar. We're not talking about France or Germany (or the US), where there are a million things to do when you're not watching the game. South Africa had a hard time filling up stadiums for their WC. Qatar's stadiums will be even emptier.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy that. To me, it should be once a generation. And it may seem like splitting hairs, but I always think of a generation as 30 years. To me, it always seemed a bit presumptuous for the US to bid...but then, SoKo and Japan bid for 2022 as well. USA 2022 wouldn't have OFFENDED me like USA 2010 (for example) or SoKo 2022, but as I said, I think of a generation as 30 years, so for that mostly idiosyncratic reason, USA 2026 fits better. For me. YMMV.

Still and all, Qatar 2022 is a very stupid idea. Artificial clouds?!?!?! Oh well, at least the comedy shows will have lots of material. :D

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeah, he may be right, but my Bolivian friend, told me that the undefeated World Champions of stupidity come from North America, and they weren`t neither Mexicans, nor Canadians, reasons why they depend on new inmigrants every year from elsewhere, in order to elevate their poor record on the issue. Many of those inmigrants in fact, also are Chileans, so you figure out who is more stupid.
    :D

Oh, now I understand what you mean : Only US-americans can be fans, while the rest of the world can`t. Interesting never thought of it like that.
    :rolleyes:

Maybe for you it is important, but for regular footballers, who gives a cent, where it is ?, as the important thing about it, is what is happening in the pitch, and who wins it.
    Honestly speaking, Do you remember without searching for the info, in which city USA played agains't England in the 1950 WC ? yes, don`t search for it in wikipedia, as we all know who won, which is what comes as important, not where it was.

WC tourists only care about football. And if football it is all about, in Qatar, for the first time in the WC's history a football fan will be able to attend to two or more games in diferent stadiums in the same day, live. For Football fans, this will be a dream coming true.

For regular tourists, what you say, applies. But these tourists don`t travel to diferent places only to see a game. In fact, most of the times they rather spend the money in anything else, and not assisting to watch a game that they could perfectly see it through the TV. The WC is not meant for this kind of tourist.

23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Americans are so dumb, we manage to have a per capita income 3 times that of Chile. No wonder smarter people around the world want to move here. Seems like the only time you Chileans are able to get your act together is when you have a guy like Pinochet keeping you in line by throwing the dumber Chileans out of airplanes over the Pacific.

Where did I say anything like that?

Sure, that's why South Africa sold as many tickets to their WC games as Germany and the US. Oh, wait. Never mind.....

That's not even remotely true.

24. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I already see how the 2022 World Cup will be overrun with tourists from China and India. These countries are a 2-5 hour flight from Qatar, they have a growing 1-billion plus middle class, which will be even more affluent after 11-years of double digit growth. And these countries are crazy about World Cup soccer, maybe even crazier than Europe.

And that's a welcome thing. The fan base travelling to the World Cup is always an amalgamation of contrasting cultures from around the world, and adding the Indians and Chinese to that will make it even more eclectic.

But don't expect our country club friends in this thread to appreciate that. They think its some sort of hippy-dippy Marxism if people from more parts of the world get to participate in the World Cup experience.

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Income doesn`t make you smarter, only means you are richer.
    This is more eloquent :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww[/ame]
    :D