Qatar 2022: Meet ups, finding friends, networking, solo travellers

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Shahabp, Aug 14, 2022.

?

At what stage(s) of the tournament will you be in Qatar? (select all that apply)

1. Group Stage

87.1%
  2. R16

40.9%
  3. QFs

22.6%
  4. Semis

22.6%
  5. M63 & Final

24.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Worldcup2022-

Worldcup2022- Member

Milan
    Argentina
    Jan 21, 2022
    Hi all, nice to e-meet you.

I will be traveling solo and stay in Doha for entire month at the mix of cluster and 1/2 stars downtown hotel. Supporting argentina so will attend all their games beside all the neutral games that I want to enjoy. Also during the rest day I’m planning to do more touristy activities. Would be great if we can plan something together.

thank you

TheLostSheep and Shahabp repped this.
  2. Shahabp

Shahabp Member

May 1, 2022
    Queensland, Australia
  3. Alopez

Alopez Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Birmingham
    $30 per day seems rather steep, even if you do get a beer and some food with entry.

TheLostSheep repped this.
  4. Conor McShane

Conor McShane Member

Liverpool
    Republic of Ireland
    Mar 8, 2022
    Newry, Co. Down
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah, I think I'd rather use one of the regular fanzones (like the one at Al Bidda) or one of the cafes/restaurants in town to watch the other games that I'm not attending.

5. bruinfan1

bruinfan1 Member

Canada
    Mar 24, 2022
    So how do I find a cafe, restaurant, tea house, food truck, whatever, that will reliably have:

1. Passionate fans,
    2. A TV I can see (and preferably hear, even if not with English commentary), and
    3. Space when I arrive 2 minutes before kickoff?

Sounds like Fan Fest won't meet the last two requirements (too full?), although I'll wait for final details to be released before writing it off.

#3 is important since I'm often coming from a stadium in order to watch the next match.

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Good luck with all that.....

7. bruinfan1

bruinfan1 Member

Canada
    Mar 24, 2022
    ^it's why I'm asking for help. If I ask 1,000,000 people before November, maybe I'll get an accurate response?

Perhaps an easier find: When Fan Fast fills up, any suggestions on a restaurant near Corniche station? Would the Qatar Sports Club's food court be open to the public?

Alopez repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yep. What I observed in South Africa and Brazil is that the main benefit of fan fests is that it provides less wealthy, often local people a chance to follow the World Cup, including people that don't have a TV or internet at home (or even electricity in some cases).

IF they could afford $30 entrance fees, drinks and food they would just go to a bar/restaurant where they get waited on, be more comfortable and have a wider/better selection of drinks and food (duh).

But I don't expect a slave state like Qatar to grasp this.

soccer_23 repped this.
  9. tpinos

tpinos New Member

Toronto FC
    Canada
    Jul 28, 2022
    Honorary citizenship is coming your way!

I am staying in B B Al Janoub, Cluster O. There from the 22nd to Dec 1. I have the three Canadian games, plus Fra/Aus, Mor/Cro, Uru/Kor, Eng/US, Cam/Ser, Tun/Fra and CRC/Ger. Hoping to get a Brazil or Argentina game in the next round of sales.

BTW, for fans staying at BBAJ, there is a facebook group and What's App chat for people staying there, and another facebook group for Canadians (I am sure there are ones for other fan groups too).

10. bahtadd

bahtadd Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Northern VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Solo traveler coming from the states.
    I have booked airfare into Dubai and plan on being in Dubai/Doha from 11/24-12/7.

But now that I am aware of F1 being in Abu Dhabi the week prior, I'm looking into moving my arrival up so I can check out F1.

Chris K and wixson7 repped this.
  11. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    They’ve announced a lot of public events, music festivals, beach clubs, and so on, but none of them except the Al Bidda FIFA Fan Fest explicitly mention screens showing the games. Seems like poor planning to me.

Maybe they’re concerned about large (possibly drunk) crowds/hooliganism and want to keep it all in one place. It’s not uncommon for European cities to not hold public viewings during big events (e.g. Champions League Final) for these same reasons.

I think in the end there will be a lot of restaurants, cafes, hookah lounges, beach clubs, etc that set up additional TVs and extra outdoor tent space. We always see that to some extent in the host cities, but it’ll be especially the case this time with there being only one host city.

TheLostSheep and Alopez repped this.
  12. maxbigs

maxbigs Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Hi All!
    I'm from the US, solo, will arrive on 22nd early morning and planning to leave 29th morning.
    Have got 2 games almost everyday :) All the Lusail and Al Bayt games for these days.
    Would love to meet up with folks for activities and drinks (hope the bars are not super crowded).
    Still trying to finalize the accommodations. What are most of you solo peeps booking? I'd prefer a hotel but they really have priced it too high. Even with last minute Brazil plan I didn't have this much hard time getting accomodations.

TheLostSheep and wixson7 repped this.
  13. jeeshquiche

jeeshquiche New Member

Liverpool FC
    Canada
    Aug 17, 2022
    Hi everyone! I am from Vancouver, Canada and I will be in Qatar from Dec 16 - Dec 19 for the 3rd/4th game and the Final game!

Is anybody still looking for a place to stay and would be interested in sharing accommodation together? If so, feel free to send me a message. I would be happy to share space with you, get to know each other, and have the best world cup experience.

TheLostSheep and brandeau repped this.
  14. Mahmoud Fahmy

Mahmoud Fahmy Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Hi All, I am from Cairo, Egypt and live in Qatar as Resident since 7 years, I am very exiting to see u all in Qatar to enjoy the tournament.

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Well, the big issue is the availability of booze. Many places will be showing the games - I have no doubt about that.

Still can't believe the Fan Fest will only serve beer from 6pm onward. What a joke.

The Google Maps alcohol map is pretty helpful, but I guess we will have to see how it is once we have people on the ground.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alcohol is expensive in Qatar, at least I paid a lot at the airport.

So if you get 2 beers with the cover, it could be worth it.

17. Alopez

Alopez Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Birmingham
    I think 2 beers is wishful thinking. The fact they give you the first one is large enough.

18. Chris K

Chris K New Member

Minnesota United
    United States
    Sep 18, 2022
    Minnesota
    Chris - teacher from Minnesota, USA, here. I'm a solo traveler arriving in Doha on Nov. 27 and staying with friends of a friend. I'll definitely be looking to meet up with people and make some connections while I'm there. Nice to meet you all in advance!

TheLostSheep and Alopez repped this.
  19. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    My son ans me are there arriving on 20th leaving on the 25th.

we will watch

ENGvIRN
    DENvTUN
    CROvMAR
    CMRvSUI

looking for BRAvSRB.

silicus repped this.
  20. silicus

silicus Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 26, 2008
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there are any games you'd like to watch in a restaurant/pub setting with good TVs, I'd recommend looking to book spots, the sooner the better. Many places aren't taking any reservations during the World Cup. Here is one place that looks great and has many TVs.

I'd be interested in a reservation but need 2-6 people.
    Here are some matches I could do there:

11/22: 7PM MEX v POL (I might be a little late coming back from 4PM Match DEN v TUN)
    11/22: 10PM FRA v AUS
    11/28: 7PM BRA v SUI
    11/28: 10PM POR v URU
    11/30: 6PM AUS v DEN and TUN v FRA

Here is a place taking reservations and it is said to be a good gastropub with lots of nice TVs. You need to book a group of 2-6 people and there is a 250 QAR minimum per person for reservations during matches:

https://www.brewskisandgrub.com/reservations/

Restaurant Terms & Conditions
    •Now accepting FIFA World Cup 2022 Online Reservations. Bookings, start 15 mins prior to the match. 250 Qrs minimum charge per person during football matches. .
    • Once you've completed your booking for FIFA World Cup 2022, your reservation is confirmed for a 3 hours seating time. Kindly note seating starts 15 mins prior to the match
    • Kindly note that your booking will be held for 15 minutes after reservation time. In the event that you might be late, kindly inform the restaurant to adjust your time, or else it will be considered cancelled.
    • Parties of 6 or more should be booked directly with the restaurant.

Cheetah101 repped this.
  21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Opening this up to the BigSoccer crew. We rented out this bar on the 19th, from 7p to 2am. Anyone is welcome, tickets required though. Eagleman prepaid to book the bar.

$90+tax
    Includes 4 drinks and food

Check out "US Supporters "First In" Welcome Party - Tickets Required (Nov 19th)" on Eventbrite!

Date: Sat, Nov 19 • 7:00 PM GMT+03:00

Location: Brewskis amd Grub Bar, Crowne Plaza Hotel, West Bay, Doha

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/us-sup...quired-nov-19th-tickets-443807398877?aff=eand
    Tools

Cheetah101, leonidas and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  22. OwainWalea

OwainWalea New Member

Celtic
    Wales
    Mar 14, 2020
    Hey everyone! Can't believe it's nearly time, 3 weeks today and I set off from Wales to see my country on the world stage!!

Note to all other solo travellers, shout if you want to meet up at any point - at fan zones, at stadiums where you might also have tickets etc.

23. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Some stadium in Qatar
    I'll be going to all the SUI and ECU matches, and potentially Semis + Final.

I'll be solo from Nov 27th to prob Dec6, and then again from Dec15-19.

Happy to join any group or share accommodation during my solo period

24. Cheetah101

Cheetah101 Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I created a Whatsapp group for the purposes of this thread. It will be much easier to organize these sorts of things on the ground in Doha with Whatsapp, rather than constantly checking this thread.

Here is the link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/IrYHPqb58P3JhWaPFr3vcB

QR code:
    upload_2022-10-29_14-58-27.png

I will likely change it every week or so to avoid spammers joining the group.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Looks like they are filling up quickly during World Cup dates but there is still some availability.