Qatar 2022 - Lodging Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Chi.Umich

Chi.Umich Member

Chelsea
    United States
    May 31, 2022
    x-post with the bigger thread:

I'm a solo traveler (from US) looking to join up with a group to bring down the cost of accommodations (would prefer to split an apartment rather than do fan village). I'll be there 11/20 to 12/5 (happy to split it up and move around).
    Please DM if interested in bunking up!

Or feel free to reply if anyone has advice. Hotel at $313/night isn't horrible, but I would rather split one of the $387 2 BR apartments with someone.

I'm planning to attend all 3 USMNT group stage games + R16 (fingers crossed) then fill in with additional games.

wixson7 repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Check out the Accommodation Sharing Thread here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/703921010652491/permalink/754059292305329

Chi.Umich repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Check out the Accommodation Sharing Thread here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/703921010652491/permalink/754059292305329

4. OmarS26

OmarS26 New Member

TFC
    Canada
    Jun 10, 2022
    I realize this thread is for American supporters, but I figured I'd give you guys a shot since I'm having some trouble finding accommodations.

My dad and I have our World Cup tickets and flights set - we live in Toronto and will be attending all of Canada's games. We're looking to potentially share an apartment with others from November 22-December 2. Please let me know if any of you are interested - it's greatly appreciated.

5. SalvyEpps

SalvyEpps New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 20, 2017
    Hey everyone. I just purchased my tickets today and will be in Qatar for all three group matches. 11/20-11/30. I found this thread just now and I joined the facebook group above but thought i'd put it out here also. I am solo traveling. If anyone is interested in sharing a place please feel free to dm me here.

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Searching for options for lodging 11/20-30. My friend and I are traveling together and looking to split costs. Please PM me if you have availability for all/some of that period.

wixson7 repped this.
  7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Th4119 repped this.
  8. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the AO package is out - and it ain't cheap!

Cruise ship at ~$500/night per person.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  9. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some of the issues are that it's for those 2 fixed periods, no adjustments allowed. Also, it includes full board. If I did stay there all I'd want is the option to have breakfast, I don't want to pay for all my meals. I know you can skip them but part of the reason it's so expensive is that all the meals are included, including 1 alcoholic drink per meal.

I'm sure it works great for some people, and I know it took a lot of work to put this deal together. But it's not for me.

wixson7 and NNNJJJ repped this.
  10. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm already booked and don't need a plan, but it surprised me that the details were announced this morning and the deadline to sign up is tomorrow (and before they announce their "villa" deals). That is a shockingly small window.

11. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my conclusion is that there is a very limited number of rooms available. This cruise ship has been available from the very beginning so I think they would have sold a large portion of it already.

The fact that there is such a short window to commit, the dates are totally fixed with no adjustments allowed, and the only package is the full board deal with every meal included is going to severely limit the number of people who will commit to the no refund deal, which must be the objective.

12. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in the match thread as well, but since some folks may not be reading that:

For anyone flying in for the USA-IRN match on a Match Day Shuttle and wants a place to crash after the game, the Qatar Accommodations site is selling an interior cabin on the MSC World Europa cruise ship for the night of Nov. 29 -- FOR 1 NIGHT ONLY -- for $379 for 2 people, breakfast included. I found that surprising since usually there is a 2-night minimum, and the cheap interior cabins have been sold out. I jumped on 2 cabins for my family, so we can get some rest before our Match Day Shuttle back to Dubai on the 30th.

wixson7 and Palermo10 repped this.
  16. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For us losers spending time in Dubai :D it sounds like there will be a lot of fun places to catch non-US games. Could be fun to book a group table or setup and root against Mexico and for Canada.

Family friendly is cool with me too, my buddy and his family will be in town. As his brother is local that might help in making arrangements

@wixson7 @NNNJJJ

MarkoC, MacPhistoTerp and NNNJJJ repped this.
  17. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like fun. If I didn't have kids in tow, I'd certainly be having fun in a bar setting. Won't be this since we'll be at the USA games, but that video still gets me excited for the trip. :D

We will only be Dubai losers for a few days. We'll be staying in Doha until Nov. 26, then have Nov. 27-28 and Dec. 1 as full days in Dubai. Match Day Shuttle back to Doha Nov. 29-30 for the Iran game and some sleep before coming back.

Will be going to Ferrari World at least one of those days. We were going to hit that before the Grand Prix, but since we extended our stay we can save it for later.

wixson7 and Palermo10 repped this.
  18. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are on the 15:40 flydubai shuttle 11/29 - booked a tighter window for that game (return 0420) than ENG because stadium is closer to airport. Also the 4am return after England was "sold out" so 5am it is.

NNNJJJ and wixson7 repped this.
  19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Mazinios post in the bigger thread was pretty awesome, sounds like the vibe in Dubai is exactly what I'm looking for.

Saw that Barasti booking only allows e0 days out so will have to wait and see on that and if they allow kids. We are staying near mall/burn Khalifa. It just all looks great, I know my fam will dig it.

I'm open to meeting up though I have been known to flake out if the family wants to be spontaneous that day and do something else. Or if too hungover from the Dubai clubs from the night before.

NNNJJJ and Palermo10 repped this.
  20. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We booked the 14:50 so we’ll just miss you. Agreed that it works nicely for that game to be at Thumama.

21. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it sounds like Barasti and other bar settings wouldn’t work for us, unfortunately. But it sounds like we won’t have much trouble finding places with atmosphere. Frankly it will probably end up being game time decisions based on wife & kids.

22. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 19, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stupidly booked the 1:45 AM return to Dubai on Fly Dubai after the England match without looking where the stadium is first and now I'm wondering if it will be possible to make that flight. Is there anyone here on that flight as well? Will it be possible to make it without leaving early?

23. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost certainly not possible. Probably why (at least a while back) all the best times of 3am-5am were sold out. Maybe pay the $50 change fee and see if you can't sleep until a morning flight?

MarkoC repped this.
  24. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, there's no realistic way you could stay for the entire match and make that flight.

Even if you left early say in the 75th minute it would be tight even if everything went your way especially since it's Al Bayt. It's not just getting to the airport, you also have to clear security and immigration and get to the gate in time.

And this isn't a match you want to have to leave early from. Can you imagine if you did and missed something like the John Brooks winner in Natal? A US win in this game will be remembered forever, and if you have to admit later you left before the game winner you'd never forgive yourself. Also, the stress of trying to enjoy the match and looking at your watch every few minutes worrying about the flight would totally stress me out. After spending so much time, effort, and money to get there it doesn't make sense to me to attempt this.

MarkoC repped this.
  25. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 19, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the responses. I decided to rebook until later that day and was able to find an Airbnb for somewhat less than the insane prices so many accommodations are going for in Doha. I can’t wait for this trip!

wixson7 and PabloSanDiego repped this.