Qatar 2022 - Lodging Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jan 19, 2022.

1. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like FIFA just updated their site and removed the eliminated teams. You can still pick teams that are in playoffs

wixson7 repped this.
  2. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone in the main Qatar thread mentioned that they spoke to the accommodation center who said hotels will not be avilable on the site (or at all?). Has anyone heard of that?

3. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you need a ticket number to book accommodations in Qatar, when will USSF begin their process? I'm concerned it may take them several months all the while, accommodations will be disappearing.

4. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the tent thing sounds kind of interesting, but the most recent info I've read has Qatari officials downplaying that option as merely "Qatari hospitality" that won't be widely available. I'm a bit confused why this isn't more straightforward and buttoned up.

5. Ch107

Ch107 Member

Nacional
    Colombia
    Feb 27, 2018
    Not a bad idea, but that possibly .. is what would scare me.. last minute cancelation

6. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just buy a single Cat 3 ticket to a random match and get access to the portal next round

7. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the limited amount of hotels, I am not surprised that all of the rooms are being held for federations/sponsors etc.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it could make the World Cup a very in-tents experience...

Old Man! and NNNJJJ repped this.
  9. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ban for puns

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    HOW DO I APPLY FOR TICKETS FROM U.S. SOCCER’S ALLOTMENT OF 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ TICKETS?

U.S. Soccer Insiders can apply for tickets to all U.S. Men’s National Team matches at any time between April 5-May 15 (exact dates to be confirmed), by accessing a FIFA Ticket Office portal exclusively for U.S. Supporters.

The application process is not first-come, first-served and fans can apply at any point during the application window.

MarkoC repped this.
  11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Boooooo

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    NNNJJJ repped this.
  13. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No hotel lodging is incredible, but not surprising. Sounds like fifa is still adamant that these “fan villages” will actually happen, but that starts to sound very Frye Festival…

My group (3 of us) booked 5 nights on the World Europa cruise ship so that we’d have access to alcohol and pools before booking the remaining 11 nights in an apartment. We’re staying through December 5th in hopes that we can catch a US R16 KO game…

Old Man!, GoalGoalUSA and wixson7 repped this.
  14. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm taking a more devil may care attitude towards planning this trip. I already bought my flight (gave Qatar Airways their pound of flesh), applied for US tix and a handful of random matches. I'd like to have accommodations secured too, but I guess that will have to wait for the first week of June when all these ticket requests get sorted.

wixson7 repped this.
  15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, it's a strangely written article. Basically there's the Kish Islands which are located in the middle of the Gulf, between Iran + Qatar. They are owned by Iran, but are a free trade zone, meaning it's visa free and I believe for any nationality. However, you cannot enter Iran mainland from there. They are trying to set up accommodation options at Kish I guess for the World Cup. Inadvisable I'd say as who knows how long it'll take to get through customs at the airport. To travel to mainland Iran, I guess that'll now be visa-free except for those nationalities think that's how they put it. I tried going to Iran this summer, but backed out when I realized getting a visa would take 3 month's approval.

Atouk and wixson7 repped this.
  18. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Many thanks to Atouk and Glennaldo for the informative posts. It is my understanding that Americans do not need a visa to visit Kish Island, at least this is what the US Department of State website says. Americans can apply for regular tourist visas valid for the whole country, but you must had a guide with you all the time and they charge around 140 Euros per day for your guide.
    Kish is a resort island with nice beaches and hotels, and should be a lot cheaper than Qatar and some other neighboring countries. Arriving tourists in KIsh may be segregated by gender and women given headscarves to wear during their visit. Shorts are not a good idea, at least until you get to the beach. It is much easier to get alcohol in Kish than the rest of Iran, but it is very easy to get alcohol in Iran so I would not worry about this. We did not drink at all while in Iran but many people offered us booze.
    I tried to get an Iranian visa several times in the eighties and nineties, but was turned down at Iranian Embassies in Budapest and Istanbul. Each time the Iranians were very polite and urged me to keep trying. We finally got 7 day Iranian transit visas, after months of negotiation, in November, 1979, flew to Tehran and bought air tickets to Shiraz. We then got a taxi to Isfahan, with 2 hours stopover in Persepolis, and took a public bus to Tehran. My wife bought a post-Halloween costume at Walgreen's in Chicago, The Grim Reaper, and this worked fine as a chador, covering her hair and body. I wore long-sleeved shirts and no shorts.
    Iranians are very friendly to Americans and you will see that right away. We even had a cab driver in Isfahan who knew all about our national team. He particularly admired Brian McBride. Iran is a fantastic country and you should visit if you can.
    I was sitting outside a shop in Isfahan, waiting for my wife to finish. I was reading and did not notice a crown form around me. Suddenly, I was surrounded by a group of young men, acting a bit nervous. Finally, one of them stepped forward and asked if I was an American (they had heard it in the shop). I said yes. He said: "Here in Iran we hear than American people don't like Iran. Why is that? We Iranians like Americans!'

Atouk and wixson7 repped this.
  19. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my group settled on a place in Doha and I'm having all kinds of issues getting my credit card to work even after calling my credit card company (Barclay - American Airlines card). Originally, not surprising, it was a potential fraud issue but cleared that up.

Any suggestions since it logs you out of the reservation after a certain time limit? My card has more than enough balance if that helps and even shows on the cc site as attempted transactions but the FIFA site says they are all rejected by cc company.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I had to be on the phone with the cc fraud dept as they watched the transaction go through. Tried all the other options (upcoming travel notice, text and email response to fraud alert, etc).

21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    By chance did you guys get any extra beds? Assuming this may end up like a couch surfing trip for those coming and going...

22. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’ll be a mix. About half of the time all the beds and couch are taken.

PabloSanDiego and wixson7 repped this.
  23. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add to my fun, I called my credit card company and the payment attempt from last night was apparently approved and they are showing it posting but the reservation is not showing on the FIFA site. So somehow I have to get in touch with the FIFA lodging people. Any ideas on how to do that?

24. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    hospitality.fifa.com seems to have an abundance of possibilities about lodging and other matters. It might or might not help. Good luck!

25. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I filled out a general "contact us" email and surprisingly heard right back from them. In our situation, we got it all booked. Ironically would not accept that my Mastercard but once we used a Visa card, went right thru.

As mentioned, above, some dates (particularly post Iran - 12/5), our place does have a bed + couch available in case anyone needs a place to crash.

SO glad this is finished.