Qatar 2022 - Lodging Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jan 19, 2022.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Figured we'd start to narrow the thread topic a bit. Still can't believe it's already a WC year.

Use this for lodging related stuff.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  3. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will US Soccer have any travel packages that include lodging?

4. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think I remember a yahoo article a couple of months ago where they interviewed someone from USSF and AO. Almost guarantee they will have packages of they can secure the lodging. Like any of their packages, the prices will be through the roof versus buying things on your own

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Assuming they'll both announce it in the upcoming months. Any USSF package would probably include a game ticket whereas AO/Sammers would not.

Personally. This is going to be quite interesting and fun. My initial gut says to base out of Dubai and fly into games and explore the region. But honestly don't know how it will all play out.

6. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my mind I had myself using miles for a Qsuite from somewhere in the US directly to Doha and then hotel points for my lodging. Qatar airways has blocked off business class awards for the World Cup time period and hotel points are not going to be helpful. Back to the drawing board for me....

7. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    This will be the official (only?) site that can be used to book hotels/apartments/tents in Qatar during the World Cup. The government consolidated all available lodging, which is why you don't see anything now on Booking.com and other sites.

https://www.qatar2022.qa/book/en/

You can sign up for updates now, and it says they'll be open for booking in March.

ceezmad and wixson7 repped this.
  8. Ch107

Ch107 Member

Nacional
    Colombia
    Feb 27, 2018
    How many miles u think it would be .. even if its not business class? I have probably around 250k milew but not all with same card.. have to see if i can transfer

9. Ch107

Ch107 Member

Nacional
    Colombia
    Feb 27, 2018
    Dubai to doha was kinda expensive when i was looking at that option..

10. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 hour drive, not bad if you’re splitting with 1-3 more people

11. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Plus about $130/person to get a tourist visa for Saudi Arabia, since the road between Dubai and Doha passes through.

12. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not bad if you:re going to 3-4 matches. Hopefully waved for the WC

13. Ch107

Ch107 Member

Nacional
    Colombia
    Feb 27, 2018
    That would be my last option, i like the fact that games are close to each other , so maybe could go to a couple different ones…

14. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i booked Royal Jordanian business for 140k round trip to Dubai. Would have been 80k in the back - this was using American miles

15. Ch107

Ch107 Member

Nacional
    Colombia
    Feb 27, 2018
    Its operated by american airlines.. wouldnt it be better to book thru american?

16. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not operated by American. Its on RJ metal. RJ is a Oneworld partner that you can use you AA miles to book.

17. Ch107

Ch107 Member

Nacional
    Colombia
    Feb 27, 2018
    Ok thanks will check

18. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  19. ameeriklane

ameeriklane Member

Dec 18, 2013
    On the one hand, it's great they've set up a central location to book all accommodation. On the other hand, it makes you wonder about the suitability of the host location if they need to bring in cruise ships to handle accommodation needs, and tout the things to do on the cruise ship (because the location itself isn't interesting enough).

But I guess it's not surprising when the host country has a smaller population than the state of Kansas. Kansas would probably do the same thing if they were hosting a world-class event.

wixson7 repped this.
  20. Go_LA_Lazers

Go_LA_Lazers New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    soccer_23, GoalGoalUSA and wixson7 repped this.
  21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  22. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Hamburgler03, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Looks like the website to get lodging is maybe starting to open. Showed me in line for a half hour and then page refreshed when I was next in line and now a blank page.

wixson7 repped this.
  23. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a good hack to access the travel portal and book rooms now. Buy a TST-3 for a team like Panama that is eliminated and get a confirmation code for the housing portal

obviously, you’ll get refunded for Panama, but you’ll possibly be able to keep the lodging.