Qatar 2022: Fan Fests and other activities (also beer locations)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by uuaww, Aug 16, 2022.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got some tickets a room and flights.

My next worry is figuring out where to get my alcohol.

Cosmin10 and wixson7 repped this.
  2. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that concern is high on everyone's list. I've been trying to crack that nut but still don't have anything.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just curious: are you allowed to bring alcohol on the flight to Qatar like when you're going to normal countries?

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I don't know that any airlines let you bring/drink your own alcohol.. maybe I'm wrong.

The issue will be customs and sounds like they will definitely checking and confiscating any liquor in your luggage.

BocaFan repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Right. I didn't mean to drink on the plane. I meant to take into the country so you have something to drink while there, which pretty much every airline allows. But yeah, I suspected that this would be frowned upon at customs.

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Have definitely seen that it's not allowed but the real question is how much they will enforce it and what enforcement looks like. Will they just pour it out or will they arrest and hang you in the public square or just a ticket or nothing. There's just no way that they will be 'arresting' people, right? Assuming with all the people coming in they just pour it out and you move on. Not sure...

Jo'Burg 2010 repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think any sensible person will try if its illegal. Pretty difficult to pass liquids through security even in your checked baggage. I was just curious if it was in fact illegal or if this was a possible loophole because, hey, a bottle of gin would enable you to make yourself 2 strong gin & tonics per day for about a week. :)

Jo'Burg 2010 repped this.
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    https://dohahamadairport.com/airport-guide/at-the-airport/security-customs

Security Check:
    Your hand-baggage will be security screened before you can proceed to the baggage claim area. Prohibited items will be confiscated and you won’t be able to retrieve them at any time. These include (but are not limited to):

• Weapons, firearms and ammunition
    • Alcoholic beverages
    • Pork products
    • Narcotic drugs
    Customs
    After you’ve collected your checked baggage, you can exit the airport by passing through Customs. There are two Customs channels to choose from.

Select the Green Channel if you have “Nothing to declare”.

Select the Red Channel if you have “Something to declare”. These include:

• Alcoholic beverages (cannot be imported under any condition)

Jo'Burg 2010, PabloSanDiego and BocaFan repped this.
  9. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've chatted with a few locals and every one of them strongly suggested that I not try it. Believe me, I was tempted to bring in a bottle. I guess the bag screenings/searches are pretty thorough on entry. No way you'd go to jail but I suspect you'd get a black mark on your file. Personally, I don't want to start out on the wrong foot there.

I think if you instead truly try to smuggle it in, that is put it in a mouthwash bottle or buy one of those special flasks that would be more of a problem, as that indicates you knew in advance it was illegal and were purposely trying to smuggle it in.

I've decided I'm just going to hope that some options to buy while there pop up, but it's not looking real good. I've seen some posts of hotel room service menus that include whole bottles, but the prices are ridiculously high. It came out to well over $20 a shot for the cost of the bottle, so a cocktail with 2 oz shot of booze will run close to $50. It just doesn't make sense. I'm hoping for cheaper options.

BocaFan repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't even bring chicharrones. Lol.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And those bottles were probably the same ones stolen from visitors entering the country ["sorry, we don't have any bottles of tequila to sell you tonight, but expect to have it in stock tomorrow after the flight from Mexico City arrives."].

So basically the country didn't ban alcohol at all, they just put an astronomical tax on it. But whatever helps the law-makers feel good about themselves....:rolleyes:

12. Ian Howe

Ian Howe Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jun 14, 2022
    Los Angeles, California
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    soccer_23 repped this.
  13. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Good news for me - my love of electronic music is second only to my love of soccer.

It says the performances will “start at the end of every match”. So this leads me to believe there will be screens showing the matches here as well. It’d be weird to turn off the music if they’re not showing the match.

And I assume with the organizers (MDLBeast) being a Saudi company, there will be no alcohol there.

Ian Howe repped this.
  14. Ian Howe

Ian Howe Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jun 14, 2022
    Los Angeles, California
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was my assumption re alcohol and going to a dance event sober will be interesting, but I'll gladly take it vs no dance music.

soccer_23 repped this.
  15. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Seriously, going to an electronic music festival with no alcohol might be even stranger than going to the games with no alcohol.

wixson7 repped this.
  16. Ian Howe

Ian Howe Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jun 14, 2022
    Los Angeles, California
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m not a big drinker, but I’ll certainly miss my other usual vices at dance events….I’m a certified idiot, but even I’m not daft enough to chance that :)

BocaFan and soccer_23 repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So, Qatar just went back on their word on yet another issue. No beer sales in and around the perimeter of the stadiums. They said fans would be able to buy beer 3 hours before until 1 hour after matches, but they lied (again).

If you like beer, don't go.
    If you're LGBTQ don't go (or if you do, don't bother booking a return ticket).

Also, its 32-34C and humid right now! Even moving the tournament to the winter only mitigated the weather issue. Didn't eliminate it.

18. Brian Davidson

usa
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2022
    I went for a walk to the market, it was so hot, it felt like 105 degrees, but not humid at all, totally dry heat. I went back to my Airbnb, I'm near to Lusail City area. Anyway, most things close from 1pm to 4pm, and I'm slowly getting used to that reality.

I managed to drink beer every night over the past 3 nights, at hotel bars, it's do-able. It was $46 for 2 tall Leffe beer on tap, and a pretty large Jameson on the rocks. But, not every bar supports Happy Hour pricing.

BocaFan repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good to hear. I am sure it is easy enough to get drinks during normal times (albeit at outlandish prices) . The bigger question is, what about during the WC when you have tens of thousands of fans trying to get in the same 50 or so places that serve alcohol?

20. PortugalQatarfan

PortugalQatarfan Red Card

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 18, 2022
    46$ for a couple beers? This is why it is not allowed you are so desperate for pleasure you spend so much on pitty pleasures that anger the gods.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Tbf, you would pay something similar in New York for 3 premium drinks (once you add the tax and tip). And I am talking about a regular pub in New York. Hotel bars would probably be more.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  22. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #47 Area 51, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    Anyone know if it's still possible to get J Balvin concert tickets?

I checked on tixbox but there's no queue. Could I just arrive on site and buy some at Doha golf course?

23. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Drink in small hotel bars...

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Apparently, there were some ticket problems outside the stadium as fans were trying to get inside for the England v Iran match. Probably related to the alcohol ban in and around the stadium, since now all fans arrive to the stadium at the last minute

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been able to drink at some bars and hotel restaurants, still have not been able to score beer that I could take back to my apartment.

I still have not been able to check out FIFA fest.