Q22.Brasil - Australia

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Gilmoy, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 | 1 _ _ _ _ | #9 Andressa Alves, left instep to 1/4 right low (Williams dove wrong)
    1 | 1 _ _ _ _ | #8 Elise Kellond-Knight, left instep to back right low (under Bárbara, who came way forward)

2 | 1 1 _ _ _ | #17 Andressinha, right instep push to 1/6 back low (past Williams)
    2 | 1 1 _ _ _ | #5 Laura Alleway, right instep to back left low, grazed Bárbara's fingers

3 | 1 1 1 _ _ | #16 Beatriz, left instep lifted-knee chip to back left edge 1/2 high (over Williams)
    3 | 1 1 1 _ _ | #10 Emily van Egmond, right instep into 1/5 right low (dove wrong)

4 | 1 1 1 1 _ | #4 Rafaelle, left instep to back right low (Williams stepped wrong)
    4 | 1 1 1 1 _ | #4 Clare Polkinghorne, right instep to 1/5 right low (Bárbara dove wrong)

2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    These quarterfinals marked by some very poor finishing, hence the low scores. I do respect Marta's effort to put the team on her shoulders. She gave everything in the tank.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 Gilmoy, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    4 | 1 1 1 1 0 | #10 Marta, left instep to 1/5 left low, Williams saves!
    4 | 1 1 1 1 0 | #3 Katrina Gorry, right instep to 1/3 left 1/3 high, Bárbara dives and saves!

5 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 1 | #7 Debinha, right instep to 1/3 left (Williams dove wrong)
    5 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 1 | #16 Michelle Heyman, right instep to back right edge 2/3 high (past Bárbara)

6 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 1 1 | #3 Mônica, right instep to back left (past Williams)
    6 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 1 1 | #6 Chloe Logarzo, right instep to back left (under Bárbara)

7 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 1 1 1 | #6 Tamires, left instep to back right high (over Williams)
    6 | 1 1 1 1 0 | 1 1 0 | #14 Alanna Kennedy, right instep to 1/5 right 1/4 high, Bárbara dives and saves

S24.Brasil-Sweden!

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok is there actually any rule about goalkeepers coming off their lines or is it pretty much just ignored? Didn't Hope Solo get punished for that against Brazil once? That Brazilian goalkeeper looked way off to me...

Guinho and exref repped this.
  5. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    dramatic shootout. happy for Brasil and Marta.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  6. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Heh I came here just to comment on this. Didn't care who won, but Barbara was really encroaching especially the first 5... including the game saver I think - often took 2 big strides before the ball was hit. Winning save wasn't too bad, seemed like 1 stride. Maybe the line judge got her to change a bit, either way surprised it didn't bother Australia.

sitruc repped this.
  7. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Barbara saved Marta's ass. Lmao.

Brasil has tons to do btween now and the semi-final. I hope we spend the next few practices on shooting....

nsa repped this.
  8. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Great game, hasn't screemed this way at my TV for a long time...

That was jogo bonito and I wish our male team could play like that (again)

We don't really have a réplacemênt for Cristiane, but can't be too harsh on #7 (Debinha I think), Brazil do not support the women game. Marta has votei 5x the best player in the world but there were neve a jersey with her name on the back for sale!!! Formiga is a beast, she is 38 yo and has played in 6 Olympics!!!

Good Game for the Aussies also, they a few good chances and could easely won this thing. Played rough but fair

9. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Great win Brazil! and as Romario'sgurl says Marta's derriere was also saved by Barbara....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::laugh:....I hope they win this, it will mean a lot for female football in their country.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Not really Marta can do no wrong in Brazil. It would be rough on her but no one would blame her (besides herself), she left it all out in the field and made two fantastic run though Australia

11. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell of a game by both teams

exref repped this.
  12. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    1) I like Australia, but I'm glad Brazil moves on. They play better soccer and it's good for the host country to stay alive.
    2) Encroachment by Bárbara on multiple penalties. The ref should have stopped her early in the shootout.
    3) Relieved for Marta that a PK miss will not be her final legacy at these games.
    4) Despite lack of goals and some sloppiness, the heart on display was so entertaining. You could tell by the end that legs were completely gone. They were gutting it out with sheer willpower.
    5) Crazy how Rafaelle Souza was waived by Houston Dash in 2014. Her career has rebounded to say the least - starting center back for Brazil, and one of their best players tonight.
    6) Formiga: this woman is a machine. Late in the game (can't recall if it was regulation or overtime) she chased down a much younger Australian and stole the ball with a perfect slide tackle in the corner. She is amazing.
    7) No goals in two games for Brazil is concerning.

blissett repped this.
  14. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  15. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    #40 Hexa, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Not realy concertining but a fact. We do not have anyone who can replace Cristiane. She should be ready for the semis...

Edited - just realized we got to the semis

16. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:

17. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Australia showed good fitness to stick with Brazil. Seems like a simple thing but it's a credit to the women's game. Great game for 0-0, fun shootout.

exref repped this.
  18. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    blissett, lil_one, cloak and 3 others repped this.
  19. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee is not going to do anything if the 'keeper comes out early, but the goal is scored.

20. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Really? I would have thought the ref would give the keeper a warning in order to avoid a situation where a goal is called back. Come to think of it, another reason to give a warning would be to ensure the keeper's tactics aren't a distraction to the shooter.

21. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new IFAB Laws of the Game were used in the Euros, and the refs there made sure that the players knew how things would be called differently. Before every shootout, the ref took the keepers aside and spoke with them at length about the new adherence to GKs staying on the line until the ball is kicked. I guess refereeing in the women's game does not get the same emphasis? Chenard is an experienced ref used a great deal by FIFA. I expected better.

gricio61, blissett, Guinho and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  23. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, but it is often ignored. See also 1999 WWC final

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    gricio61 and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see skits based on this for decades. It'll be a meme!

Darth Maul gives De Vanna a water bottle that has a spigot on both ends.
    She drinks from one, flips it over, drinks from the other, and it's -- chocolate milk :laugh:

Amazon promptly sells out of double-sided bottles.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.