Q19.USA - Sweden

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Gilmoy, Aug 12, 2016.

1. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #101 BrooklynSoccer, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Yup, same thing said in 2006. How many times has England beat the US in the last 5 years?
    The best competition will be coming from Japan and China. Not England, France's golden generation is gone, Germany will always be solid tho.

The USA's best and most technical players are all under 24 Pugh, Dunn, JJ, Brian. and there's a lot more in the pipe. I'm certain all of you haven't seen probably our next star midfielder Rose Lavelle.

There's been big games the US was outplayed and won when they should have lost. 04 olympic finals is an example. This was not one of them. Same is true for the '11 WC final. sometimes the lesser team wins. USA is still the best team in the world.

2. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Recently England U18 women beat the USA U18's 1-0 and then tied them 2-2.....both games in the past 60 days....There is no question the USA WAS the dominant women's soccer program in the world.....that is changing rapidly as more and more money pours into girls/women's soccer in countries where soccer is easily the dominant sport and very much ingrained in the culture....(unlike in the USA) Title IX gave the USA at least a twenty year head start on the rest of the world....that 'head start' has been gobbled up and the days of USA dominance in women's soccer are coming rapidly to an end......the USA will remain competitive yes, dominant not so much....

LorneMarvello repped this.
  3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #103 luvdagame, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    this.

the usa has basketball culture. it has little or no soccer culture. so the millions of little girls (and boys) running around kicking a ball, with mediocre coaching, seeking a college scholarship, even with the advantaged years title ix gave them, cannot keep us ahead of most other soccer culture countries once they decide to fund the women's game seriously.

i hate when it happens. but do not be shocked when the uswnt loses.

it's a long slow march to gaining that soccer culture in this country, if ever.

exref repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well you got to remember that the Scandinavian countries along with Germany, Japan, Brazil & US have been around the first WC & Olympics(1991 & 1996) with Germany winning the top tourney(WC) i 2003 & 2007, but yeah, got I panned on this forum as well when I mentioned the main reason for the US success was TITLE IX.

Must say I like what England's NT coach(Sampson) is doing; he's played at least 30 players so far in the Euro qualifiers. He's also started a B team(called New Generation) and seems to understand you need to balance out a team with physical & athletic players to go along with those that are more technical, and her just recently introduced American college players like Daly & Galton(who I believe are much quicker than their WSL counterparts).

Remember to check out the one thread on England;s woso soccer(it's almost empty of comments) because I do feel the wo, unlike the men's team will have a strong chance of winning next year's Euros

exref repped this.
  5. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Sad day for soccer? What complete nonsense. You really sound so disrespectful to two teams that did nothing wrong other than beat higher ranked teams fair and square. The classy thing to do would be to congratulate them both, wish them good luck and leave it at that.

jocasta, JanBalk and exref repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I take it back. I'm excited Brazil made it through. I'd love to see Marta finally win something and they play fun technical soccer. They really were better than the USA in 04. We robbed that one from them. Yea, I hate when teams play by solely countering. It's dull, boring soccer and we already have a rugby tournament in the Olympics.

7. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the rest of the world (those countries outside of Germany, Norway and Sweden who have always been strong)is catching up to us in women's football. We have been saying this for awhile. And, while we are sad to see our team become less dominant, we are excited and proud to have played a role in the growth of women's football worldwide. The improvement in women's access to sports worldwide can only improve our status and strength worldwide.
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/yank-women-on-foreign-wnt-wynt.1943490/

8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC

The U23's were 9-3-0 Undefeated.
    The U-20's were 16-3-4
    The U-19's 2-1-0 (Small sample size, but still Undefeated)
    The U-18's 3-3-2
    The U-17's 33-8-0 Undefeated
    The U-16's 1-1-0
    The U-15's 2-0-0 (Small sample size, but still Undefeated)

That's a combined 66-19-6 for the youth squads.

Now the statement of dominance. Well until last year the US hadn't won the WWC since 1999, so how dominant would you consider the senior squad? But I see the US much like Germany on the men's side, constantly being right there to challenge for a major title. No doubt the world is improving, and games will be alot tighter but I think calling the slide of the USWNT after one tourney (in which they lost in PK's) towards just remaining competitive a bit much.

sitruc and Game-Ball repped this.
  9. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    For males football, and basketball for sure still reign supreme, with hockey, and baseball following, but being more regionally dominate sports. But when it comes to female sports, I have to disagree. There is a soccer culture for females more so than probably any other sport. And you can see that in the name recognition of the stars. After college, how many names does the average American know for female basketball players? Softball? People turn out to watch our NT in huge numbers. And NWSL attendance is better than any other league, I think that shows the female soccer culture in the US is more impressive than alluded to....

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    England U23 women recently (June 2016) beat the USA U 23 women in a tournament called The Nordic Cup....England won the PK shootout after a 1-1 draw.....USA women's teams: Competitive certainly....Dominant: not so much anymore....

11. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So a 66-19-6 (In 2016) Record is merely competitive. Duly noted........ Most places look at performance like that as dominant, but I guess it depends on your view. Also while the English U-23 won the game on PK's the US U23 actually won the tourney. You also have the US sending it's U20 squad to La Manga, where the rest of the teams were U23. And that US U20 team went 2-1-0 with one of the wins coming against a U23 English squad.

Don't get me wrong, the USWNT by no means will go up against teams and just expect to win by touching the field, but to allude to some big slip-up because we lost to the one team that just has our number lately seems like an exaggerated response. I'm excited that the world of WOSO is improving, all over, and competition is getting better. I just to see the USWNT demise as much as others do I guess..

12. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    who called the demise?

the answer was no one in this thread

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Nobody is doubting the USA women's teams former domination....just that the rest of the world has now caught up. It will be interesting to see how the USA U17 women do in the upcoming world cup in Jordan....

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Let's wait and see how many times England beats them in the next 5.....

15. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    In the context of my post...... Demise of their domination. Which has been the topic I've quoted.

16. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So how about we also wait until then to call an end to the USWNT's level of performance. The one team the USWNT has consistently had matchup problems with just beat them in PK's. Outside of Sweden not to many teams have the same consis performance. Canada has played the US tightly the last few times out. But until the US drops games at a steady rate, I just don't see where "former domination" is an accurate discription. Again this is not saying the rest of the world hasn't improved immensely over the years, or that there is a slow down any time soon. Buts it's not as if the US also isn't looking to improve and adapt.

Game-Ball repped this.
  17. terrysoccer

terrysoccer Member

Toronto FC
    Canada
    Jun 17, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would agree. It is always about what new talent is moving up, what decisions the head coach makes to when and where to integrate them (ie, having the courage to cut aging senior players) and then ultimately how well that integration works out. At the same time other countries are going through the same process. Anyone who wants to write off the US team with their huge population is making a very bad mistake. As an aside, I believe we would do an injustice if we did not recognize what this recent version of the USWNT has done to promote women's soccer, especially in North America. Much of the same can be said for my CDN girls in my country. Glad to see that the overall level of play has risen in many countries and that major tournaments have very competitive atmosphere.

lil_one, exref and cpthomas repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #118 Cliveworshipper, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    We heard that in 2003. Then we heard France would be unstoppable with their pretty play, and as recently as the Germany World Cup we heard how Germany would dominate for the next quarter century.

There isn't any program that has caught up. Some have regressed. Some get a great couple players and get a cycle or two of great teams, but nobody can consistently replace great players like the USWNT has. Look at Norway, Sweden, Germany, China, Japan, and any other contender from the past.

Look at the record, there is no national team, men or women, who has the record the USWNT has since 1990.

But sometimes there needs to be a reset, and we have to figure out what that will entail, whether it is players, coaches, or the USSF itself.

The one good that can come from this is that nobody is safe or can be complacent.

You produce or get replaced. Finishing out of the medals is just not acceptable.

Game-Ball repped this.
  19. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I really hope you're not basing that on the u18 results. that means absolutely nothing. MNTu18 has beat germany, brazil u18 and i'd pass out from laughter if any american said that was proof the tables are turning.

I love your coach, he's great. Bronze is great, you have some talent. I'm excited to see what happened with you guys, but it's going to take longer than 5 years. Some of your best players are on the backend of their career too.

ps - ask Sampson what he thinks of Canadian football..or just look it up. He thinks they play a nasty aggressive version of soccer that only get called for half their fouls and are dirty. he also thinks Herdman is a jackass. Like i said, he's Sampson's a smart guy.

ps - US hasn't lost to Canada in 15 years and Germany in 10 years...but we can't beat Sweden!

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A note to add to the conversation: Based on the stats work I've done with NCAA Division I women's soccer (which isn't necessarily fully applicable, but should be close), roughly 15% of women's soccer games result in upsets, meaning the poorer rated team wins. If I add in ties as upsets (where the higher and poorer rated teams tie), the number goes up to 25%. I suspect that the very high level teams suffer a lesser level of upsets, but all teams suffer some.

This is why soccer, known to many of us as the beautiful game, also is known as a cruel game.

lil_one and CAFAN repped this.
  21. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Hence the "Soccer Gods" can be pleasure or pain.
    Anything can happen in soccer.
    Teams with less than 20% possession have won before.
    Teams with no all-stars vs. a team with nothing but all-stars have won before.
    Any upset can happen on any given day. It's just much tougher for a team to pull off a string of upsets in a row.
    What Japan did in 2011 was special. 3 upsets in a row in the knockout stage. They were not favored against Sweden.

22. terrysoccer

terrysoccer Member

Toronto FC
    Canada
    Jun 17, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thank you for your assessment. Now please go back to crying in your beer because your team lost
    Thank you for your assessment. Now please go back to crying in your beer because your team lost. Hey it happens. Sometimes good teams lose. Maybe you and Hope can get together for a few brews and a good bar fight. Now before you go I would be interested in what you think about your head coach and the decisions she made regarding player selection and strategy. I do not have to sling insults like you as many US "supporters" are doing a great job with their "analysis". Maybe ask the Great Britain coach as well since you hold him in high regard. Anyway some of us can look forward to the semis! Go CDN Go!!!

LorneMarvello repped this.
  23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, terrysoccer, as a US fan, I'm happy to trade Canada's win for the US's loss. Of course, I'm a Sinclair and Schmidt fan since I'm a U of P fan, and I like your regular GK too and really, now, admire Labbe. Plus, I really like Buchanan and think Beckie has been great. But, you're not helping Canada's cause with US fans who might also be Canada fans. Your team won, chill out a little and let the US fans vent a little without taking it personally.

Although I agree, those who have a really negative thing with the Canadian team are idiots. Better I, as a US fan, say it than you. ;)

Game-Ball and terrysoccer repped this.
  24. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    And several US fans are still upset with how Canada reacted after the 2012 Olympic match.

25. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Anytime.
    How can I be crying after we won 4 straight of these golds and the last World Cup....and there's still another week left of the Olympics, where the USA team is doing amazing things.
    USA has 24 gold medals so far, these Olympics are very fun for American sports fans. every night is great TV. Plus, we get to see the Jamaicans run this week. I won't bring up how many medals Canada has won.

@cpthomas