Q: What's the key to the A's streak?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lucid, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A: Playing almost the entire streak vs. the AL central.

This division is so god awful. You think Minnesota is good? Look at their non-AL Central record.
    AL East: 15-17
    AL West: 18-15
    NL: 10-8

For a combined.... 43-40. They are a .500 team folks, and it's gonna show come post-season.

The bottom 4 teams Minnesota has been beating up on in the division are a combined 236-322. Wow... that's pretty bad.

So let's take a look at the A's series during this streak...
    it started in Toronto (bad club)
    then it was Chicago (bad club)
    then it was Cleveland (bad club)
    then it was Detroit (really bad club)
    then it was Kansas City (really bad club)
    then it was Minnesota (decent club)
    then it was Kansas City again (and again... really bad club)

So now it's at 20 games, and they have a series @ Minnesota, and I would not be suprised to see it goto 23, but then they goto Anaheim and there is no way in hell they get to I would say... 25.

Don't get me wrong... 20 straight it great and it takes a lot of skill and a lot of luck to do this. An MLS team couldn't run off 20 straight vs. A-league teams very often, but it could happen with some luck. This is a good A's club, and it takes a good, solid team to do it, but mix in just 1 series there with a good team and the streak is over midway.

So here's my prediction, they lose the second game @ Anaheim, they fall on their faces in the next series against seattle, limp into the playoffs, and then get knocked out in the first round simply because they peaked at the wrong time. Streaks are just as much psychological as they are production on the field, and when the streak ends, and they realize the sole reason why they had the streak, they're gonna doubt their skill, and that's the worst thing than can ever enter an athlete's mind.

So my prediction? Once again the Yankees in the WS. :rolleyes:

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Well, to me one sign of a real good team is cleaning up against the teams you're supposed to beat, such as these weaker clubs. I don't expect the streak to last through the Metrodome, but it's a heck of an accomplishment nonetheless. Wednesday's win over KC was the most into a baseball game I've been in quite a while. That game had it all.

3. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow... They got punked 6-0 last night, I didn't see that one coming. Now... it's time for the A' to fall flat on their faces, and it'll be funny. I'll say they lose 9 of the next 15.