Putting a team together, 2010-2011

Discussion in 'SV Werder Bremen' started by WerderBremenYank, Jun 4, 2010.

1. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the arrival of Marko the Astronaut from Twente, we have our first big signing of the summer, and so begins the process of putting together a team with which to challenge on multiple fronts for the upcoming season.

We may lose a player or two after their sure-to-be excellent performances at the World Cup, and we are very likely to add more players, but lets start brainstorming in regards to line ups and ideas for next season.

First draft:

Code:
    ------------Wiese-------------
    Fritz----Naldo----Per----Seba
    -----Bargfrede---Frings-------
    Ozil----------------------Marin
    -----Pizza-------Astronaut----

Possible Subs bench:

Vander
    Pasanen
    Borowski
    Jensen
    Hunt
    Almeida
    Niemeyer
    Wagner

Defense:

The myth of the leaky Werder defense, is just that, a myth. Na-na and Per are a great centerback combo, and Fritz is an international class right back. Sebastian continues to improve, and i really think this next season he will come of age.

Pasanen and Prodl are capable back ups, and hopefully Abendour has improved enough for KA to see a reason to sign him on a full contract.

Midfield:

Veterans like Frings, Borowski, and Jensen are complimented with young stars in the making like Ozil, Marin, and Bargefrede. Hunt's flexibility makes him a great part of this unit, filling as either an attacking midfielder or a striker.

Forwards:

Pizarro will be breaking records next season, so we don't have to worry about his desire to play. Almeida is certainly capable of wreaking havoc on defenses. Marko the Astronaut (which as you can see is my preferred manner of calling him) looks to be an excellent signing that can mature under Schaaf and KA. Don't forget tha Sandro Wagner is in effect a new signing, as he recovers from that injury.

In summary:

Players needed to sell:
    Niemyer
    Vranjes
    Rosenberg

Players needed to bring in:

A right back, a Center Back, a Central midfielder.

What do you guys think?

2. cro werder

cro werder Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Dubrovnik Croatia
    Nice post WerderBremenYank

Okay lets go in some order.

Goalkeepers:

I think we are very well covered here with Wiese, Vander and Mielitz and we don't need new goalkeepers. I just hope Wiese won't get some injury during world cup or in next season.

Defense:

Like you seid Per and Naldo ours two towers are just great and any team would like them, but because of our attacking-minded team they two suffers and often been criticizes for no reason. Right-beck is also not problem because Fritz played very good last season and his replacement Prodl can just develop more- of course he is also back-up for two towers. But i think we should buy some left back. Recently Ziegler and Strinić are connected with Bremen. I prefer Strinić more because I watch him every week in Croatian league and I can say he is very, very good player.

Midfield:

With Frings,Marin,Bargi,Hunt and Ozil there is no problem, but one, two signings would be important. Especialy one DM who can replace Frings or even play instead of Bargi. Emana is one of this player and if it is possible Allofs should buy him, but I want Bargfrede to play so never mind:D. And of course Ozil should sing new contract.

Attack:

Pizarro,Arnautović,Almeida and Wanger are just good enough. Rosenberg of course should be sold.

So all in all I want Strinić to come and one new defensive midfield.

----------------Wiese---------------
    Fritz-------Merte---Naldo------Strinić
    --------Bargi---------Frings----------
    ---------------Ozil-------------------
    ----Arni---------------------Marin----
    --------------Pizarro------------------

Uhuhuhuh, I can't wait for new season:(

3. Aluscardum

Aluscardum Member

May 31, 2009
    British Columbia
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I expect that Ozil will be sold this summer, so next season will likely see us using a much more 'traditional' 4-4-2.

As always, we have a few too many strikers, so it will be interesting to see how that works itself out. Wagner still doesn't strike me as being ready to start and Arnautovic (from what I can see from youtube,) doesn't have a lot of finish (but the dribbling and skill is definitely there.

My lack of faith of Boenisch is fairly well documented, but I can't see us buying someone to replace him, so next season I would expect to see something like this:

------------Wiese-------------
    Fritz--Naldo--Mertesacker--Boenisch
    ------Bargfrede---Frings-------
    Hunt----------------------Marin
    -----Pizarro-------Almeida----

I'd really like to see us sign a fast DM that we can switch with Frings when we need to. Depending on how things go, though, we might see a return of TS's diamond, but that would put a little too much pressure on Marin at this point in his career, I think. But I think the following might be worth looking at in some test matches:

------------Frings-----------
    ---Bargfrede---------Hunt---
    ------------Marin------------
    --Pizarro------------Almeida--

(This formation ignores how well Hunt and Marin play together, though; and I think the pair of them as a unit is being overlooked by many a little too quickly.)

4. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it is early, but I suspect that we will keep Ozil for another season, at least. With the economy as it is, I don't think we are going to see many BIG transfers this summer, aside from Man City and Real Madrid type clubs, and I really don't see Ozil being a legitimate target for either of them.

5. WerderDownUnder

WerderDownUnder New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Really pleased with the signing of Arnautovic.. I think he will become a great player for Werder in the next few year.

Everyone now needs to accept the fact that ozil will not be with Werder next season, its a shame hes leaving as his game would of improved so much more stayin with werder.. and I just hope he doesnt end up wasted as a lot of other talented youngsters have when they leave their club to a 'big' club.. ie. benzema, diego, podolski..

so i think next seasons starting lineup will look like this:

----------------Wiese-------------------
    Fritz------Merte-------Naldo-----Boenisch
    -----------------------------------------
    ------------Bargi-----Frings--------------
    ------Hunt-------------------Marin-------
    -----------------------------------------
    -------------Pizzaro---Arno--------------

I would really like it if would we buy a quality RB and LB as fritz is past his prime and boenisch still needs more time.. And buying another CDM to start ahead of Bargi would be good although i doubt this will happen

6. Aluscardum

Aluscardum Member

May 31, 2009
    British Columbia
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't really see TS playing Arnautovic in a striking position. I suspect he will be another one of TS's convert-a-striker-to-a-midfielder projects (e.g., Hunt, Husejinovic, Harnik, &c.)

7. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    With Arnautović joining, it makes the signing of Felix Kroos kinda pointless

Lennart Thy, Testroet n Wagner are already there and they're all very young n promising. Why do u guys need that many forwards?

Arnautović can play on the flanks though. He isnt really a CF if i remember correctly

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He fancies himself as a centre forward but at Twente he played on the right wing.

Anyway congrats on signing the boy. He's a great talent but has the mental age of a 4-year old, I hope he manages to grow up at your end.

9. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for popping in with the Info :). If TS could handle Ailton, I am sure he can handle this guy.

As for Ozil and his being with us next year - From what I have heard Arsenal is the club thats in for him, but only if Cesc Fabregas goes to Barca (which, granted, he is likely to do). That said, Wenger RARELY opens up the checkbook, so I am not sure if they would pay the approximately 30 million Euros that it would likely take for Werder to sell him.

10. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I expect a Özil departure, this summer or the next.

11. WerderDownUnder

WerderDownUnder New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Also serious interest from Manchester City and Liverpool for Ozil, aswell as rumours from Real Madrid and Barca.. it would only take approx 10 mil pound to snap him up.. as there is only 1 year left on his contract.. and Werder won't want to risk losing him on a free transfer next summer..

Also it seems Michael Ballack will be released by Chelsea and is open to offers.. currently there are reported offers from the Middle East, Real Madrid, Schalke and Werder.. would love to see Ballack in Grün Weiss next year :)

12. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that as a child, Ballack was a Werder Bremen fan. Mind you, he would get a LOT more money playing at Real Madrid, and would be reunited with Mourinho after that brief spell along with Pizarro before The Special One got sacked at Chelsea, but MAYBE Michael will want to play for his boyhood club now?

13. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I haven't heard him, specifically, say it, but I'm pretty sure that he WAS a Werder Bremen fan as a child. And since he is officially my favorite footballer, I would LOOOOVE for him to play at his childhood team next year.

14. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    We are connected with another left back:
    Nadir Belhadj from FC Portsmouth. The 27 years old will propably leave Pompey after they relegation and Werder is one of the clubs named in a skysports article.

skysports article (eng)

transfermarkt profile (ger)

15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought Ozil got a 1 year extension a few months back? :S

16. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    No, that was only a hoax by the BILD newspaper. If Özil plays a good WC, he will leave Werder this summer.

17. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    i would love to see strinic end up at werder..he actually is i think the best prospect at leftback since jarni..has very good pace is athletic and is improving defensively..strinic also looked very good in his debut for the national team..problem is haduk is probably going to ask for at least 5 million euros as strinic was great in the second half of the season for hajduk..i also think strinic will be the starting leftback come euro qualifying..would love to see strinic play for a attacking team like werder..

18. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    After today, I'm willing to learn Turkish if Oezil stays.

19. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not even sure that Ozil speaks fluent Turkish. Maybe Arabic instead? (as he recites from Quar'ran before each match)

Marin also looked very good today.

---I dont suppose theres any hope of us signing Muller ;)

20. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, Mesut, if you stay, I'll read the Koran, the Torah, and the King James version of the Bible. And learn to cook Turkish food.

21. bullethead

bullethead Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oezil......if only we could extend his contract at WB, right? He has shown true brilliance in the match today...of course, he played well for WB in the season, but it seems that he has kicked it up a notch for the NT. He clearly understands that he is being watched, and to his credit, he is making the most of his opportunity. There have been so many players from WB that chose to go somewhere else, and yet a number of them have not found success for their choice. How wonderful would it be if we were able to retain Oezil? Maybe we can encourage him to have a conversation with Diego??????

22. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The better Özil plays, the more clubs get interested. -> The higher the transfer fee.

23. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm, good point.

24. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don't want to be the bad mood guy here, but I think Özil plans the next step in his career.

There are also counter-examples:
    Rudi Voeller, Karl-Heinz Riedle, Mario Basler, Torsten Frings, Claudio Pizarro, Simon Rolfes, Carlos Alberto (doesn't play bad in Brasil, but totally does not fit to WB), ...

25. bullethead

bullethead Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Currently, I'm more than pleased to have Pizzaro. He was the 5th best scorer in the BL...ahead of Cacau and Mueller...and, of course, Gomez.