Purse Comparison of CONCACAF Champions League to other tournaments

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Branc3399, Jul 25, 2008.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why he asked you if they've been playing together since 2004. Just because RSL was founded in 2004, doesn't mean that's when their players started playing.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't realize or see that you had asked me anything. Anyway, of course not. I never meant that at all.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By far the FMF has been the best overall league in the CCL, with all Mexican teams advancing past the group and winning the past 2 CCL championships.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23265551&postcount=204

Honduras has been the second best (2 very good teams)

Canada is actually 3rd, due to the great run by Montreal.

The USA has secured 4th place in the CCL, mostly thanks to the crew (past the group 2 times) and RSL run this year.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was fun while it lasted but there goes the $1.5......Still outclassed. Not even with clear cut chances to score. If they both played until tomorrow, there would be no way RSL could score a goal on this team. Sad but true. At least RSL went far in the tournament so thats good for them.

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    You may be right about the "outclassed" comment, but I think the gap was more narrow than I had assumed entering this tournament. And with the wide disparity in payrolls, it's quite remarkable actually. I think for MLS teams to be more competitive with FMF teams on a consistent basis, the payroll gap needs to be narrowed.

I'm not so sure that RSL wouldn't have scored if given a bit more time. You may have noticed Orozco saving 2 shots just as they reached the goal line. However, my bigger fear given more time is that Monterrey would have come through with a counter goal.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes I think they pressed at the end but those shots were kind of weak and they were too little and too late. Usually, the longer a given match continues, the more difficult it is for a forward to score and the easier it is for a defender to prevent a forward from scoring. I didn't see RSL attacking all that much or well throughout the 2nd half and when they did they were stopped in their tracks. I agree the payrolls are too broad between the two clubs but its takes more than just a higher salary to make a team win. If you don't have quality players or even playmakers and goalscorers, in any league or tournament, you will not win. RSL was never close to winning either match. I do think things are getting better for the MLS and I hope it continues to grow this year and beyond but for now, Mexico is still king. I'm not sure when the tides will turn but at least the gaps are closing.

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I know this is popular to say, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Are the gaps really closing? Or was it just a matter of RSL putting alot of focus on this? Or is RSL just a special team, and future MLS'ers will not be able to repeat.

I hope it's a sign of the gap closing. I hope that future MLS teams will put similar focus on this tourney, and perform well. I also hope that MLS salaries continue to rise, and allows them to attract (and keep) higher quality players. Only time will tell.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well getting to the final is a stepping stone but now MLS teams are expected to win it. Will they? Possibly but only DC United won it once and I don't think it will be that easy.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It's been a popular saying for the last 11 years. In fact, after the Galaxy won the 2000 Champions Cup (the second for MLS in three years) the gap hadn't just closed for several MLS fans here - it was now the Mexican Primera who had to chase some "gap". MLS was declared the best league in CONCACAF with only Brazil and Argentina left to conquer. Then the format changed and so did the fortunes.

As rightly pointed out there has to be some consistency before the Primera's status in CONCACAF can be questioned. A few "hot" teams here and there like RSL and Houston a few years back are not going to cut it.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who knew? I had actually forgotten the Galaxy won the 2000 Champions Cup........ Both Pachuca & Club Toluca represented Mexico that year. Wonder if it was an off year for the MFL? I'm not sure but I think the order for the Americas is Brazil , Argetina and then Mexico. Brazil and Argentina have the players and the history and all but the only thing they lack in is their teams , leagues and players seem to be always in complete disarray. Often times teams have trouble paying their players. Its no wonder players from those nations are always lining up and looking for their Euro passports so they can play over there. I happen to believe however, that the Mexican 1st division is top quality and FIFA has recognized the MFL as the most important league outside of Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_CONCACAF_Champions'_Cup

11. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    From an MLS perspective, the change of format had two negative impacts on MLS teams:

1) the timing of this tournament matched up better for those leagues on a "traditional" schedule (which is not MLS). The timing of the old tournament was ideal for MLS teams, right in the middle of the season.
    2) the increased length of the tournament favored teams with a good deal of depth, which is not the hallmark of MLS teams.

I think this tournament is structured the right way. MLS teams need to find a way to be successful in this tournament despite it not being ideal from their perspective. This will require giving more weight to this tournament (at times sacrificing league play), and it requires teams to build more depth to participate in multiple tournaments. RSL has handled both of these issues well, and it's no surprise that they had success in CCL as a result. There's bound to be copycats, but can they have the same level of success?

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The Brazilian league is doing mighty well and Ronaldinho earns a reported monthly salary of USD 600,000 per month. It's the Argentina league that is struggling with many players from Argentina like D'Alessandro now playing in Brazil.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The top players are always paid well in every league. Ronaldinho's contract with Milan was €6.5million (Euro) $9.7 (USD) a year or $800k a month. His contract in Italy will have been up by June so he decided to go back to Brazil w/Flamengo. I think he took a 6 month pay cut but he signed w/ Flamengo until 2014 so I guess he'll make it up. I remember D'Alessandro when he came up but he never really did much in Europe. I also recall Carlos Tévez signed a big contract 5 year contract in 05 with Corinthians for 15 million euro and that was a big deal then but then I think he only lasted one year and in 06 he was in England. Ronaldo also made his way back to Corinthians when he signed in 09 so I'm sure Brazil has a great league.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brazilian league just like the Brazilian economy is growing fast. Right now they can't pay the high transfer fees, but they can now pay close to the top salaries in Europe. Brazil will retain more talent, and they will be able to sign more South American talent in the future.

Brazil will challenge for a top 4 spot (league) very soon.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not even a week goes by and they are already talking about the next tournament.

....kool! :cool:

from wiki......

16. Yet, almost all Brazilian teams got eliminated this week from Copa Libertadores. Like it was said before, It will take more than a hot team or even a tournament to determine if the gap has closed.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Argentina is also down to one club in the quarterfinals. The copa is crazy this year!

18. Is not Crazy, is obvious that Paraguay has surpassed everyone in the continent... :D .

To be fair, they are a very underrated futbol nation. <Loves Dario Veron.>

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Julio César Romero, Roberto Cabañas & José Luis Chilavert.....how could you not go wrong with those guys? ;)

In every league in the world though, it seems teams tend to point to either Argentina or Brazil to form the nucleus of their teams. I guess they have football factories down there producing top rated players on a yearly basis....

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correction......

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By comparison......

The FA CUP winners purse in England.....

14 May 2011

Manchester City 1 – 0 Stoke City

1,800,000.00 GBP = 2,915,640.16 USD

British Pound - US Dollar

1 GBP = 1.61980 USD 1 USD = 0.617360 GBP

runner-up

900,000.00 GBP = 1,457,820.08 USD

British Pound US Dollar

1 GBP = 1.61980 USD 1 USD = 0.617360 GBP