Purse Comparison of CONCACAF Champions League to other tournaments

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Branc3399, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    I had a question and wasn't sure that the question fit into any other thread that was already set up so I decided to start up a new one disucssing this issue. Does anyone know what the purse will be for the winner of the CONCACAF Champions League and how it compares to other tournaments like the Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, or the UEFA Champions League? I would like to see how it compares if nothing else realizing that it will not be comparable. Also, does anyone know where we could find out payroll figures for the clubs participating in this tournament? For all of the discussion we have on these boards about the MLS Salary Cap, I have to imagine that the payroll figures must be a lot higher than teams from the Panamanian league for example. Any information that can be shared would be appreciated.

2. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    Not a single person out there knows what the prize money for this tournament is? Really?

3. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I understand you get at least $1 million for qualifying to the CWC. I think that money comes from the CWC organizers though. Don't know if CONCACAF throws any money at the winner.

4. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    So I guess the motivation here would be to qualify for the CWC. I guess that's where the real money would come into play. I figured that the purse for the CONCACAF Champions League would be very small. Can I ask what Saprissa's payroll figure looks like? Is it in the $2.3 million ballpark like MLS teams?

5. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Do you mean $2.3 million per year? Or is that a monthly figure?
    Even if it's $2.3 million/year I doubt Saprissa is in that ballpark, but I don't know for sure.

6. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    That's per year. The MLS Salary Cap is $2.3 million per year. If Saprissa is not in that ballpark then it is probably a safe assumption to think these teams from El Salvador and Nicaragua for example are nowhere near that number. Thanks for the insight.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    AFC Champions League
    1. USD 600,000
    2. USD 400,000

(there will be a significant increase next year)

CAF Champions League
    1. USD 950,000
    2. USD 665,000
    3. USD 427,500
    4. USD 427,500
    5. USD 261,250
    6. USD 261,250
    7. USD 190,000
    8. USD 190,000

Can't find any specific numbers on the other competitions...

8. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    Thanks for the research. I couldn't find much myself. I would imagine that the CONCACAF Champions League would be somewhere in the $500,000 ballpark for the winning club based on what the African and Asian Champions Leagues are bringing in being that they are the most comparable.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No prob. The African prize money are the net figures for the clubs (some of the money goes to the country association.) With paying the travel expenses I truly wonder if CONCACAF has any money left to pay out. The next step has to be finding a name sponsor for the competition. I'm very curious about the AFC CL re-launch in Asia next year. Rumors have the prize money at 5 million for the winner.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    To get an idea of the money involved in UEFA, a club like FC Basel expects to make around USD 18 million simply by qualifying for the Champions League.

As an aside, Rivaldo will be playing in the AFC CL quarterfinals next month. FC Bunyodkor (Uzbekistan) has signed the former Brazilian international for a rumored annual salary of USD 7 million. It's the same Uzbek club that tried to sign Samuel Eto'o.

11. Monstruo*Morado

Monstruo*Morado Red Card

Sep 4, 2008
  12. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I'm still looking online for any mention of the purse.. But an opinion, put more money into the CCL's purse by eliminating one of the other competitions, like the SuperLiga.. :)

13. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Article I found online regarding the prize money, doesn't provide the exact amounts, but it's a good read anyways..

Now let's talk about the Champions League

The Champions' Cup is in the rear view mirror -- at least we hope. So now CONCACAF can turn its attention to the creation of the Champions League. There were a few details during its unveiling earlier this year, but there were a lot more questions about timing, sponsorships, television, prize money, and so on. Perhaps the most important question is this: Can a confederation, not known for smooth organization or efficiency, put together a credible and successful revamp of its premier club competition within 120 days?
    There are four primary issues that I believe CONCACAF must address in order to make the new Champions League a success. They are prize money, sponsorship, TV rights, and event presentation.

Prize money
    As a starting point in the discussion I want to show the prize money awarded to participants in the Champions League competitions around the world. I tried to get figures for the most recent tournament played, but I couldn't always find them, so I'm not going to claim 100% accuracy, but I think the monetary amounts given are close to the actual amounts. Another thing to note is that prize money comes from different sources (TV rights, sponsors, gate receipts, merchandising) and also includes bonuses.
    Let's start with the Copa Libertadores. There are 38 entrants; twelve teams play each other in a qualifying round and the surviving teams join the other 26 in the group stage. The payouts listed below are derived from TV rights (2008):
    Round Payout Group Stage (8 groups) $115k (per home match) Round of 16 Winners $161k Quarterfinal Winners $207k Semifinal Winners $287.5k Runner-up $345k Champion $575k
    + $2M bonus (Santander) The African Champions League has a series of knockout rounds before the group stage involving the last eight teams. Here are the payouts for the group stage and beyond (2006):
    Round Payout 4th place Group Stage $190k 3rd place Group Stage $261.25k Semifinalist $427.5k Runner-up $665k Champion $950k
    + $1M bonus (MTN) The UEFA Champions League has three preliminary knockout rounds before the group stage comprised of 32 teams. Payouts are for the group stage and beyond (2006-2007):
    Round Payout Group Stage (8 groups) €3M
    + €800k (x 3 home games)
    + Performance bonus
    + Market Pool Advance to Round of 16 €2.2M Quarterfinal Winners €2.5M Semifinal Winners €3M Runner-up €4M Champion €7M I couldn't find any prize money figures for the Asian or Oceania Champions Leagues, but according to this link at Wikipedia saying that the winner of the Asian Champions League receives $600k and the runner-up $400k. However, those amounts will significantly increase in next year's competition.
    It should be obvious that CONCACAF is not going to give out UEFA-level cash to participating clubs in its Champions League. It probably won't be able to award $15 million in prizes from TV rights alone, like the Copa Libertadores. But at minimum, the CONCACAF competition needs to have a total purse on the order of the African or Asian competitions, which would run close to $4-6 million. It would still be small in comparison to anything the Mexican clubs could make in the South American tournaments, but the prize money would be tremendous to the Caribbean and Central American clubs, and it would also get the attention of the MLS clubs as well. Heck, any money would be preferable to the prize money awarded in the Champions Cup -- which was next to nothing.
    Sponsorships
    Time for some more comparisons. Here is a list of the principal sponsors of the Champions League competitions around the world -- I just went to the websites of the different competitions and noted the sponsors listed. If I missed some let me know.
    Confederation Sponsors UEFA Heineken, SONY, Vodafone, Mastercard, Ford CONMEBOL Banco Santander CAF MTN AFC Aramex, Emirates, EPSON, ING, Panasonic, Toyota, Viszo, Nikon, etisalat OFC ??? Upon closer study of the list, one will find companies in the financial services, telecommunications, automotive, beverages, shipping and transportation industries. Given the global appeal of the UEFA Champions League, there are companies with international reach. Banco Santander has extensive business interests in South America, so their sponsorship of Copa Libertadores makes sense. MTN is a major telecommunications company based in South Africa with a growing African footprint. The Asian Champions League is sponsored by a combination of companies from the Far East and the Gulf States (with the exception of ING). So whatever companies CONCACAF seek out, they should be companies that are recognized throughout the region and involved in industries important to the people there.
    So at minimum, CONCACAF should get sponsors from:

• an automotive manufacturer
    • a financial services company (banks, money transfers)
    • a telecommunications company
    • an electronics company
    • a beverage company
    Some of these sponsorship possibilities may not be likely due to the economic climate, but they should still be pursued.
    Television
    One of the motivations for having a Champions League in Europe was that the major teams in the bigger European leagues would be playing a minimum number of matches against European opposition, a point that UEFA could make to national broadcasters when negotiating rates. I'm sure that CONCACAF has the same motivation for their League, but here the situation is different. Only FOX Sports International broadcast the Champions' Cup matches., and I don't know if FOX had to pay any kind of fee to show the matches. FOX Sports will most likely remain their primary broadcast partner, but it remains to be seen whether CONCACAF can coax a broadcast fee from them. It also remains to be seen if any of the Spanish-language networks in the USA would be interested in making a bid. They would have segments of the audience interested not only in the Mexican clubs, but the participating Central American clubs as well.
    Presentation
    The presentation of the Champions Cup, from signage to the pitch entrances, has improved over the years. But with the Champions League, it has to feel like you're watching something special. That's what UEFA has been able to do so successfully with their competition. When the teams enter the field, the starry ball flag is floated over the center circle, and the theme music is played with the players standing at attention, you KNOW that it's the Champions League. CONCACAF needs to think very deeply on how they want the matches to be presented from the perspectives of a spectator and a TV watcher, and then draw up some rules that govern matters such as signage, pitch entrances, security, permissible PA announcements and so on.
    -----
    In sum, CONCACAF have an ambitious task in the next four months, and any announcements on these four issues and any other matters need to be forthcoming. In order to make the Champions League a success, the federation will have to show a level of foresight, planning, and organization that, frankly, has been lacking in any of their previous endeavors. The Champions League is not just a chance for CONCACAF to make some money for itself and the participating clubs. It's also an opportunity for the federation to grow up and be taken seriously -- in and out of the region.
    UPDATE: I made a couple of corrections and clarifications to the original post. And welcome BigSoccer readers!

Posted by Howard Hamilton at 07:00 AM | Permalink
    Technorati Tags: CONCACAF, CONCACAF Champions League, s

14. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It was mentioned that the Hankook Verdes players make 180.00Dlls a month playing football, and they got 180.00 Dlls. per game in this tournament from their club, also; they got 30 K from CONCACAF for travel arrangements.

IF they had advanced to the group stage it could have been a great windfall for them -at least on TV money- but of course that was a big "IF"

15. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    Thanks for the fantastic reading material. I couldn't agree with you more. Superliga needs to go. Also, as an MLS fan I wish the teams were able to use some of the prize money to sign players if they were to win. Pretty sure that's how it works for all the other leagues. I am pretty sure that the league itself would receive the majority of the prize money. Not that the MLS teams have to worry about that too much being that they can't win these tournaments it seems like. I have read alot of posts lately complaining that the MLS teams have schedule congestion meanwhile the league tells these teams to play in a tournament that means absolutely nothing (Superliga) which by the way pays almost double the prize money. It just goes to show that this tournament does have a lot of growth potential. The games have been very interesting thus far. These Panamanian teams are killing them out there. They have as many teams as the MLS. Aljualense got rocked. Interesting stuff. Seems to be a lot more entertaining than the Champions Cup thus far.

16. puronicoya

puronicoya New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i never heard of this tournament until a few weeks ago and it was by accident. concacaf should market this tournament in order to make money off it.

17. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    How could Eto'o turn the Uzbek side down:confused:

:D
    This tournament will make more money and get bigger ratings... I'm sure Univision will make a killing... as for the English channels... that's just going to take time... look how many decades for the USA-Mexico match to become something special in the US.

18. Cristian Bolaños

Cristian Bolaños New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Costa Rica
    My bet is that Saprissa´s payroll might be half of an MLS team. Here is my guess:

Walter Centeno $12,500.00
    Alonso Solis $12,500.00
    Ronald Gomez $10,000.00
    Victor Cordero $7,000.00
    Jervis Drummond $7,000.00
    Jose Francisco Porras $7,000.00
    Alejandro Alpizar $5,000.00
    Armando Alonso $3,000.00
    Andres Nuñez $3,000.00
    Michael Barrantes $3,000.00
    Fausto Gonzales $3,000.00
    Jairo Arrieta $3,000.00
    Ever Alfaro $3,000.00
    Celso Borges $1,500.00
    Keilor Navas $1,500.00
    Walter Robinson $1,500.00
    Yader Valladares $1,500.00
    Randall Porras $1,500.00
    Manfred Russel $1,500.00
    Jose Luis Cordero $1,500.00
    Esteban Ramirez $1,500.00
    Ariel Santana $1,500.00

Month Total $92,500
    Year Total $1,110,000

I remember some time ago Centeno being the one who earned the most alongside rolando fonseca at about $10K. Just the other day the people from the Liberia Mía project offered Alonso Solis $20K a month in an effort to bring him from Saprissa.

The players earning $1500 are the ones that recently were promoted from development leagues and my bet is that they still have development league contracts, $1500 might be a little high for them.

19. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

we better triplicate those 2 salaries right now

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't want to start another thread but since RSL is in the finals, I'm curious....

Does anyone know how much do winners and losers of the 2010-2011 CONCACAF Champions League get?

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well The winner will get at least 1 million when they make it to the FIFA CWC

http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/e7/52/0,,12813~152295,00.pdf

I did not see anything about money on their official rules file.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The rumored amount CONCACAF pay is around USD 500K. The AFC and CAF pay a lot more. My guess is only the OFC pays less...

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    The winner of CCL gets $500K, and will get another $500K (at least) if they win a game at the CWC.

Concacaf is still trying to build up this tournament. I'm sure they are looking to increase this as the tournament builds more interest in the region.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know thats not all that much especially when you consider the winner of the Mexican /MLS Superliga (which I believe was abolished) paid $1 million.....