Purg-Adu-tory: The continuing saga of Freddy's off season: Aug 1 no news since Sion move fails

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dark knight, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Re: Purg-Adu-tory: The continuing saga of Freddy's off season: July 30 Sion declines on Freddy Loan

I'd volunteer if i wasn't so busy with my PhD defense.

Maybe in a week I could. But I do think a news thread is a good idea. It has become hard to find actual news when there is some (and lets face it, there was some news with Sion rumors). And while that was frustrating, I've still found this thread fairly enjoyable because of the reasons you've listed above.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Purg-Adu-tory: The continuing saga of Freddy's off season: July 30 Sion declines on Freddy Loan

Some threads can't be helped.

You can either sticky them like with "fire Bob Bradley" threads or lock them down.

Besides, the Adu threads have both posts and hits.

Isn't it what any web site wants?

"Hey nineteen".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfwtX2kgOA"]YouTube- Steely Dan - Hey nineteen[/ame]

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Y'all need to stop cherry picking part of my posts. voros knows I'm a big fan and he can take a little of what he was giving.

Was there a recent Freddy age thread in this forum? I must be really out of it.

Anyway, we'll give a news thread a try and see how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems like it's time to try something, although frankly the big problem is not that there's not enough news in this thread. It's that there's not much news, period. Idle hands.

2 people repped this.
  5. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is it in a nutshell. Basic human psychology. And as rational as many posters seem, they've had their emotional side rubbed wrong somehow. I skim and scan here, flying over drawn-out discussions of stuff that doesn't interest me. But there is enough humor and obscure cultural and football references that make it worth my while to scan some while waiting for the odd tidbit of news that I, like all of us, crave. Silly season, indeed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16iNk1hLJt4"]YouTube- Monty Python - Silly Olimpiad[/ame]

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

It was in the US Men.

Which would make it Vladislav Tretyak's (and not Freddy Adu's, speaking of age) 20.

[​IMG]

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, although I can take the blame for that one. People were persistent in bringing up the age issue and upset with mods like me for trying to keep it out of the thread, making the argument that it was a legitimate component of trying to sort out why he was doing poorly/ought to be given some slack by posters here. So I split the age discussion out of the Freddy thread, with the stipulation that said discussion be carried out there, only. In so doing, it became not YA focused enough to stay here, and appoo kindly offered to place it in USA Men.

So there's something of a precedent for what's under discussion now (two specifically tasked Freddy threads). However, I will say that the mere existence of the Freddy's Age thread made just about as many people mad as the current state of this thread.

8. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

You guys do a fine job. We're not going to please everyone. Some people wanted the age discussion, some didn't. Some people like this thread some don't. Freddy threads are very polarizing...I'm not sure why.

You mods are often in a no win situation, and I don't envy that.

9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people need to relax.
    Posters are goofing because it's hard to take Freddy and his career very serious lately.

1 person likes this.
  10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if not MLS at this point, where the heck does freddy have left to go? Sweden is probably an absolute last resort if he really wants to stay in Europe. Any Swedish clubs that can afford to bring him in on that salary?

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't get this line of reasoning. Where doesn't he have left to go?

12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This is worth repeating:

13. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. My favorite Hungarian rapper, Speak, comes to mind when I read these posts.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Vaz9jW054&feature=related"]YouTube- Speak the Hungarian Rapper[/ame]

Yeee, come on

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I actually have a question about Adu. Is he still technically on the Aris roster, since they had a 18 month loan on him, or did they succeed in sending him back to Benfica?

Thanks.

15. DuckYank

DuckYank New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHOA! Hold on just one minute. This is an Adu thread so unless you have some matter-of-fact comment to make about how Freddy sucks then you're not welcome. It's all hate, all the time here.

Please save your actual questions for somewhere else. So come back when you have a stupid comment about his age, lack of defensive ability, how he should turn down money, or his work ethic/practice routines. We only want REAL posters in here. You know, the know-it-alls and never-weres that really take joy in seeing Freddy struggle.

P.S. I think the answer to your question lies somewhere in between, hence the name of the thread. No one knows anything except that Benfica, Aris, and FC Sion don't want him right now. Anything else seems to be pure speculation.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    They did not succeed in sending him back to Benfica. Aris is on the hook for whatever part of his salary they agreed to in the loan.

17. 1992LuckyTown

1992LuckyTown New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Not a chance at 300k a year almost all the teams are strapped for cash. the attendance has taken a nose dive by 30-40% and so has the teams economics.
    When we are on OT Hockey if adu was a failed hockey number 1 draftee from NHL then this money would not be a problem, so can we get adu in a pair of skates :D this is a possibility. Can we get this done in photo-shop please :D

18. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quick observation before the thread dies:

Jozy's thread is just 10 days older than Freddy's, and has 78,551 views for about 3,570 views per day. But it only has 905 replies for about 41 posts a day. Freddy's thread only 64,775 for 5,397 views per day, but already has 994 replies for about 83 posts a day.

At least we can see people are interested in Jozy's situation, but ev.eree.bo.dee has an opinion about Freddy.

19. 1992LuckyTown

1992LuckyTown New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Yes but adu was made to be the next Pele (ok this is just as in Basketball and Hockey they are always looking for the next talented kid to label the next M Jordan or W Gretzky) so that the reason that ev.eree.bo.dee has an opinion about Freddy and what went wrong. I fore one has not decided witch age hi is he still looks 14 to me;).

20. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

i have news about freddy: he likes history and discovery channels. +1 post :D.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not to pile on Freddy but I was watching CSKA - Spartak today (great game, btw) and Spartak has this kid named Zhano - a 17 year old 5'7" Georgian, with 1980 Michael O'
    Keefe hair and as much weight as a toothpick.

And one of the best players on the pitch.

And that makes this

[​IMG]

22. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Disagree.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Who says he could find a spot on the US U23s?

24. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do, for one.

25. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006