Pumas Player of Apertura 2006

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by Disco Dale, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Fairly obvious question, I have chosen the 16 players who have taken part in most games, so those that missed out, but did play, are:- Alex Diego (6 games, 251 mins), Pablo Bonnells (1 game, 19 mins), David Toledo (2 games, 90 mins), Pablo Barrera (2 games, 8 mins), Oscar Alanis (4 games 107 mins), Fernando Morales (5 games, 218 mins, 1 goal)

I have listed them in order of shirt number.

For me, although Parejita and Leandro have to be up there, and Ignacio Scocco has a great talent, and Veron was massive, Gonzalez also became a favourite for his high work rate and determination, I have gone for Efrain Velarde. He started so confident, and grew and grew, so comfortable on the ball, great defensively, covers the ground quickly, links well (thats got better and better with Leandro), his distribution is intelligent and accurate. In addition he is born and bred in CU, and a very young man. And just sauntered into top flight Mexican football like he has always been there, Chelito was troubled by him, and many players of lesser renown have struggled against him.

2. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm going with Veron on this one. Many of us weren't really sure if our defense would be able to hold without Beltran, especially considering that sideshow took his spot. But Veron held it. He even got sideshow and Velarde to raise their game.

Scocco, in my mind came in as a very close second. We all knew he was coming in to be incorporated to our attack. And he did well. He would have done better if Tuca had given him more playing time towards the end and kept him in a specific position rather than having him a forward one week and a mid the following.

3. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I had forgotten I had placed a closing date on this poll. So Scocco wins it for us, I was surprised that Veron didn't get more votes. Forwards always tend to do better in these things, and Scocco is such an exciting talent I can understand it, but I felt our 2nd overall was more based on what happened at the back.

Anyway, well done Nacho, lets hope for more and more this season......

4. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA

...pumas defense was pretty good last season and veron was the leader in the back...he does deserve a good place but most pumas from midfield down did a good job last season...scocco sure was outstanding, but i think veron could had easily taken first on this poll as well...i just hope this season we come on top as far as our offense goes...disco, i am in mexico and was wondering if you know of any preseason games at CU or any other place in mexico?...

5. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    yep, Veron deserved more.

Pumas have got Atlante tomorrow (Wednesday night), but just spoke to the club and it will be behind closed doors - as will the match on the 13th, for whom we have no rival as yet.

I got the distinct impression that you might be able to blag your way in by claiming to be press, though.... finally time for me to mock up my BBC pass, I think..... call them on 5528 9800, hit "0" and ask for the press office, see if you can chat them up....

We are playing a game down here in Tlalpan 4.30 Thursday, if you fancy a game (or half a game, at least)?