Puma Thread [3] - all questions, pictures, boots here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I had the future 18.1 low for just under a month before I sent them back. They weren’t exactly what I was looking for even though I like the netfit idea. The netfit is great and does allow you to change the fit and feel of the boot. I ultimately ended up with a standard option though. it was pretty light feeling on feet which was a nice plus. The upper does start a little stiff but does soften up nicely, plus they are relatively thin so you get a good feel for the ball when making touches and striking the ball. However, I did not care for the overall shape. It was a little too high volume for my taste, even with the laces in my preferred setup. I noticed that on Puma’s official site they recommended going down a half size for a better fit. I did not care for the outsole and stud pattern. The outsole just seems a bit too thin to be considered AG/FG and some of the studs seemed to long. If I planted a certain way, I would feel the studs a little to much for my liking. I know ultimately the fg/ag patterns from brands like adidas and puma are primarily for FG, but at least when I wear the adidas boots, some of the studs don’t feel overly long. Maybe they can fix these small things in the update they apparently are releasing before the World Cup.

That being said, most reviews on the net have been positive so they are worth trying out. For a reference on sizing I had a US 8.5 in the puma future 18.1, a US 8.5 in the Predator 18.1 when I tried them, and a US 9 in the Tiempo legend VII. hope that helps a bit.

appleCORR7, newone88 and Corkin23 repped this.
  2. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Anyone here know how tight- (or loose-) fitting the One 18.1 is? Maybe compare it to a Tiempo Legend 6?
    I want to give it a try but it’s not in retail stores anywhere in California so... Also what is the sizing like?

3. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’ve managed to get my hands on some Future boot does everyone on here just lace them normally or is there other ways you guys can recommend?

appleCORR

4. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am curious about this too. I had tried on the one 17.1 and they were snug but definitely would have stretched. The 18.1 I’ve read in reviews is pretty tight fitting as well, especially since there is less leather but apparently the kangaroo leather on it is is high quality and quite thin so it will stretch. My concern is the tight mid-foot. Reviews have said the synthetic is nice quality but I worry it may be too snug as it does look narrow.

When I had them I laced them normal. Although, on the netfit running shoes I have I’ve got it in a slightly different lacing system I really like. Makes for a snug fit

5. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking forward to giving them a go! Although I’m sure most people I’ve seen with them just have them laced normally lol. If anything I think I’ll just lace them further across so I can make them a bit more snug.

appleCORR

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i got an email from puma with a 40%/25% off code at puma.com. use "friendsnfam".

derbyyank13 repped this.
  7. shrtysskat8

shrtysskat8 Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Chicago
    I ordered a pair in the blackout because I wore my raggedy Evospeed in bad weather and realized just how well that Puma fit, especially in the toebox. Hoping the toebox on these is similar. Any thoughts on that? Or should I be looking to grabbing an old evospeed?

8. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just snagged a pair of the Puma one 1 for cheap from soccer.com. Really nice fitting pair of boots; very snug but so far not uncomfortably so. Leather quality is nice and soft with a nice amount of padding. Definitely quite a bit snugger than the futures. Going to give them a try this afternoon

appleCORR7 and Jaxinho repped this.
  9. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Recently been tempted with Pumas! Are they considerably more responsive than the Futures? I don’t mind which one at this point, I just want to know which one is more locked-in.

10. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wore them to kick around a bit today and they are very responsive. They are a much narrower fit than the the future to me. I had a pair of the future 18.1 low and the tow box felt too high volume for me and I feel like I do have a slightly wider foot. That being said, the one 1 is going to take some breaking in for me. While the leather is incredibly soft, the area of the boot where the leather ends and the synthetic with the form stripe begins is very tight on my right foot. The form stripe actually helps reinforce that area of the boot, but need to get it to soften up. Overall, very response boot with minimal to no dead space. Soleplate has a nice combination of responsiveness and flexibility, too.

11. rc121

rc121 Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just received a pair of the blackout Futures from the recent puma sale ($90) as I've been wanting to try them out. I have a slightly wider foot with a very high instep, so fit can be very difficult for me but Puma has really been my best option in the last few years. For reference, I have US 10 in both the Evopower 1 and the Vigor 1, with the evopower being the best fitting and comfortable boot I've ever had. The Vigor is nice but I get a lot of bunching of the material around the ankle and top of my foot when I lace it up tight, so it fits fine but that part annoys me. After hearing some reviews on the Futures, I decided to go with a 9.5 for a more snug fit. I've only tried them on but they fit nice and snug now and should loosen up well. I'll try them out tomorrow in some small sided games, but I'm kind of curious if I should even use the laces. I think Reus wore them without laces and after trying them on, the boot is already plenty snug and the laces don't seem to add anything at this point. Maybe once they loosen up I will need them.

12. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The evopower 1.3 was one of my favorite puma boots of the last few years. The first evopower was great, too. I tried on the vigors, but was not a huge fan. I had the future 18.1 briefly but could not get as snug of a fit as I wanted. I think the one piece construction of the collared version would have been better.

I’ve been wearing the puma one 1 for a few weeks now. They are a starting to break in nicely. Definitely snug starting out though

13. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’ve been wearing the Puma 2.1 for my last few training sessions the boot is much more snug than the 18.1 you really feel the lock down especially in the heel area where the 18.1 sometimes felt a little bit loose they are just an all around tighter fit. Still not sure which version I prefer I am leaning towards the 18.1 as I have quite a wide foot but both are really nice boots.

appleCORR

jayc23 repped this.
  14. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’m surprised to hear the future 2.1 is snugger. I did see in some reviews that the knit in the heel is thicker and a bit tighter, but I’ve heard the rest of the upper is softer than the first version. Is it still a good option for those with wide feet?

15. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  16. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah! I actually spotted these at my local football shop the other day and was amazed they actually made it a lowcut with knit, like the HV Phantom 3.
    Also the Puma One 1 Low! They look amazing, reminds me of a leather evoSpeed.

17. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They are softer on the top because the upper that covers the net isn’t as thick. For me I feel they give me a tighter lock down though but I just prefer the 18.1s. I like the slightly thicker upper it gives you such a beautiful ping on the ball and I like having that little bit of extra space but both boots are nice - have to say I’m not a fan of the orange/black ones that are due out.

appleCORR

18. kiongsm

kiongsm Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    anyone know about the black-white-gold boots worn by the arsenal FC staff/coaches?

19. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    I think they are the new low cut version of the Puma One 2.1

20. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I ended up sending my Puma one 1 back. While I really enjoyed kicking around in them, they were just too tight on the side where the leather ended and the synthetic/puma formstripe started. They were also starting to separate on the sides a bit and I had only done some kicking around in them. That could have been attributed to the width of my foot though. They are definite for someone with a narrow foot.

One gripe I have with both of puma’s current outsoles and stud patterns is that I do get a bit of stud pressure from the longer studs. Not sure if anyone else had that problem. Would like give puma another go because I know live in an area where I play on both FG and AG pitches. Not sure how much longer my tiempos can handle that

21. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, I actually drove 30 mins to a physical store just to try out the two new Puma silos because they really interested me but the One 1 is ridiculously narrow. And heck, i’ve used the Vapors X and XI before! I’d say good choice in returning them. Maybe try that new Puma One 1 lows? They look to have a regular separate tongue and are shaped like the evoSPEED 1.3 and 1.4.

And yep, the exact reason why I ditched my Legend 7 for an FG/AG adidas. Every time I played I felt overly conscious about its durability that it’s taking my mind off the game itself.

Soccerstyle09 repped this.
  22. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I will say that the legend 7 FG has held up remarkably well playing on AG. I looked into adidas but nothing they have one offer really grabs me other than the x18.1 which I’m sure it quite narrow. Plus I’ve noticed adidas’ boots are no longer listed as FG/AG anymore.

I was thinking of giving the future 2.1 low a chance. I feel like with the smaller netfit holes and one piece construction, it may offer a better fit than the future 18.1 low which felt so loose even after adjusting the lacing. The 18.1 low not only felt wide but also like it ran long in size because of how high volume it was. Hoping that is not the case with the 2.1 low

jayc23 repped this.
  23. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like the sole plate on the futures - I do get a little bit of stuf pressure from them when I first wear the boot but once I’ve broken them in I find them to be really comfortable. I did think that the little stud at the front of the boot would get on my nerves and I’d end up tripping over it or catching it on the turf but I don’t really notice it when I’m wearing the boots.

appleCORR

24. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Puma Evospeed SL?
    I've got my eye on a cheap pair, but the 10 match life span has me reconsidering it. Is 10 games really the durability limit? What's the most use that anyone has gotten out of a pair?

25. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    There's a guy who posted articles with me on SoccerCleats101 one and he's been using his for a long time.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BldtMqhFUo4/?taken-by=richlwyatt

Jaxinho and cadmonkey12 repped this.