Pulitzer-Prize Winning Sportswriter George Dohrmann to Write New Book on US Youth Soccer System

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 4, 2017.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    923261083778875392 is not a valid tweet id

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    923261352726032384 is not a valid tweet id

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like that title. First of all, it puts Messi ahead of Ronaldo. Second of all, the USA (or any other country) could reach the Round of 16 in most World Cups without having anybody nearly as good as Messi or Ronaldo. I think we would be happy if the USA had a player considered among the top 50 in the world. Third of all, teams with stars can fail at the World Cup, or in the case of Buffon (who won "The Best FIFA Goalkeeper") even fail to qualify. The USA advanced over Ronaldo's Portugal in World Cup 2014.

Midwest repped this.
  4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if the title changes between now and publication.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure those objections are relevant though. Sure, you can be successful in soccer without producing a world-class star like Messi or Ronaldo--and after all, THAT level of excellence cannot be planned for only allowed to blossom--but youth development should strive towards identifying and developing lots of individual talent, not recreating the Euro 2004 Greece team.

Hexa and superdave repped this.
  6. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Based on our systems here, maybe the title should be “Chasing Messy”.
    Get it? Our systems are messy. Haha. I’m so funny.

bostonsoccermdl and monere repped this.
  7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tweeted to Mr. Dohrmann to ask him how the book is coming along. He said it's going great and there's a lot to cover. :)

8. monere

monere Guest

I think Pulisic falls into this category (probably in top 30, too)

EDIT: ok, after doing some more thinking he is probably not in top 30, but in top 50 for sure

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Pulisic but I'll wager we could come up with at least 50 players who RIGHT NOW are better than him and have more impressive resumes.

That's no knock on him, just a recognition that soccer is a big world.

10. monere

monere Guest

I know that CP has played as a CAM for BVB, as well as a RW in a 4-2-3-1 system, but I liked him better as a RW, and if we make a top 50 best RWs in the world he definitely is on this list, I'd say even in top 10.... Whether or not he'd make the top 50 overall best players in the world right now is debatable, but I see him easily in a top 10 best RW. I mean, without doing too much research I can only think of Di Maria, Robben, probably Dembele (from Barcelona) probably Mbappe when he plays RW, then there's Salah, Willian (from Chelsea), and that's about it, who are better than Pulisic. It's true that I'm not watching the Italian Serie A to know which RWs Napoli, Juve, Roma, or Inter have, but I doubt that there are any good RWs in Serie A, given how shitty the league has become in the last decade. Also, not aware of tier 2 teams' players (like Sahtior Donetsk or Besiktas for example, who have made the knockout rounds of UCL this season), but in all seriousness if these tier 2 teams had any outstanding players the big clubs would have transferred them in during the winter window, like they did with Coutinho, or Dembele in the summer.

Anyway, apart from those that I mentioned above I think Pulisic is easily a top 10 RW at the moment

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points.

To be clear, I'm not dismissing the idea that Pulisic is good enough to be considered a top-50 player. He just needs a bit longer resume to make the case objectively, IMHO. He's certainly showing all the potential he needs.

12. monere

monere Guest

Indeed. I think he's known enough, and good enough to make the move to a bigger club. I just don't know why nobody shows interest in him. To be honest, as a Bayern fan I never understood why they never grabbed him, especially since Robben is aging, and Koman is slightly worse than Pulisic IMO. Ribbery is also not a youngster anymore, and they could play Koman on the left and Pulisic on the right come next season as I doubt Robbery (Robben + Ribery) will manage to stay on the pitch for more than 40-50 minutes.

Man Utd could also use his services, as Lindgard is not as good as the American IMO. Or Arsenal... OK, Arsenal lack a manager first and foremost, then they lack a team, but despite of the poor management I still think Pulisic would fit there best, especially since he's already played with Aube, and Mhkitaryian at BVB.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect world he'd be a GREAT fit at Arsenal.

monere repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I reached out to George on Twitter. He's still working on his book and said it would hopefully be out in the run-up to the 2022 World Cup.

15. Is it going to be a description of it, or an analysis of it's contribution or hindrance to get better players?
    Any clue from other books he wrote?

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what he’s said on Twitter, it’s going to be a complete evaluation of American youth soccer.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which Ronaldo?:p

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Paul Berry, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    I think it's going to be about finding the next Messi through the US Youth system.

It seems appropriate that, his parents were middle-class (though the media likes to convey otherwise).

Also interesting that Pulisic and Messi had soccer coaches as fathers.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn't clear from the beginning, "Ronaldo's Portugal" makes it obvious.

superdave repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Messi is the more iconic. Ronaldo can be a bit of a dick.

21. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I think it's funny that we are trying to find the next Messi here in the US. Even coutnries with deep, deep, deep soccer (Futbol) roots can't find another Messi. He really is a once in a lifetime type of player. We have a better chance of producing the next Iniesta, Rooney, or Fellaini than we do the next Messi. Any of those 3 would be the best players to ever wear the US Soccer logo on their ever changing jersey.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we chase a Messi and find a Rooney I'll be ok with it.

23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just reached out to George on Twitter. He said he’s still working on the book about soccer in the US and that a lot of reporting has been done, but that a lot is still left to do. He says publication date is expected before the next World Cup in 2022.

24. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Is he adding chapters based on the last 2 games?