Public Training at Candlestick Report

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by asdf2, May 27, 2014.

1. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I don't see a thread and this seems to deserve it's own.

The USMNT held a public practice at Candlestick today at 5pm, It ran 90 minutes. Here are some highlights:

1) Candlestick is a post apocalyptic hellhole. It's gotten even worse in the last 5 months since the Niners permanently left. It's a half step up from the Pontiac Superdome, which is abandoned. But there are gale force winds. It's hard believe that the USMNT, Paul McCartney and Athletico Madrid all have scheduled events at this dump before it's demolition this fall.

2) the field itself was perfect. Never seen it so good.

3) very windy, though game time is a bit later tomorrow, so could be a bit better but cones and balls were getting blown away, so don't expect joga bonita tomorrow night.

4) as has been tweated, the 11 playing together was

Altidore/Dempsey
    Bedoya/JJ/MB/Zusi
    Beas/Besler/Cameron/FJ

Guzan played with the starters in goal but I wouldn't read too much into that.

5) It was a normal practice. Warm ups, some new passing game they had never played and some of the guys had trouble following instructions at first. No different than a U16 team really. Then they split the attackers to one end and the 4 centerbacks and Jermaine Jones and Beckerman (the d-mids) who worked on defensive stuff. Then a 8v8 with some wingers outside lines wide half field. Then a 11v11 with the 11 noted above against the others 3 quarter field.

6) I didn't keep score too closely but I saw 5 goals. 3 by Dempsey, who's skill clearly outshined the others. 2 by Wondo who predictably popped up in the right place at the right time and finished.

7) I thought Green and Gonzalez looked poor.

8) there were maybe a thousand people there. it was free. It was fun. there were some corporate give aways and some even got blown away in the wind.

9) Gulati, Twellman, all the big name reporters, you name it, they were there. Even Chris Sullivan.

10) at the end some US Soccer PR guy talked and tried to get the crowd to do a USA cheer but the speaker system was so awful it didn't work. Then Wondo gave a speech. I have no clue what he said but everyone cheered anyway. Cheered his every move all night for that matter. He's a local boy playing for the local MLS club, is a forward, an overachiever and a swell chap to boot so he's inordinately popular in this audience. I have no clue if he'll play in Brazil but I'd be stunned if he doesn't see action tomorrow night.

11) Ramos and Klinsmann were the coaches and were very engaged, loud and intense. Ramos led the training. Voights just seemed to watched. I was relatively impressed by what I saw from Ramos and Klinsmann though this was simply a public run-out semi pace practice the night before a game so you can't read too much into it. Klinsmann stayed 100% with the attackers when the defenders and d mids were back doing there own thing.

12) Yedlin got rid of the blonde hair dye again.

13) Kudos to the following players who signed a lot of autographs. I'm sure I'm missing a few but kudos to: Wondo, Dempsey, Howard, Cameron, Beasley, Beckerman.

14) There was a 4th goalkeeper. Big blonde kid.

bigtoga, Statman, SOCCERMARINE and 28 others repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cody Cropper. He's been with them the whole time at Stanford.

Marko72 repped this.
  3. huckleberry123333

Jul 17, 2013
    Definitely appreciate the insight from everyone their. Good stuff!!

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    If Chandler isn't ready, I'd rather move Cameron to right back and play Brooks or Gonzalez (or Goodson) and move Johnson to left midfield. There is no way I start both Zusi and Bedoya.

Actually, I probably call in Harry Shipp, but that's another story entirely.

Heck I'd rather switch Bedoya to right back and Johnson in left midfield.

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank god you're not the coach.

Statman, ckl26, chad and 7 others repped this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Why's that, exactly?

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because playing Bedoya at RB is a stupid idea and calling in Harry Shipp is premature.

Marko72 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    What looked poor about them exactly? Can you give us a bit more detail?

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the other thread too, but I'll go ahead and post here due to the title. Agree with the other reports, some back up and additional thoughts:

1) Agree on DMB taking forever to cross. To be fair, might be the wind. Crosses and goal kicks are going to be a b*tch tomorrow night. Welcome to the 'Stick.

2) Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey are a class above. In particular Clint who looked energetic, fit, and was by FAR the best finisher in the group. Mikey sent in some great through balls.

3) Aron Johansson was miserable. And his body language knew it. The crowd at one point started to cringe for him (the guy behind me kept uttering "geez" with every failed attempt). His first few attempts at goal he just plain whiffed (as in, swung and missed). Then he started to put some wide, then some into row Z. He also was indeed slipping and sliding a ton which other folks have noted. He had 1 curving shot that was gorgeous from distance. But beyond that, I don't know what the heck was going on with him. He looked completely out of sorts.

4) Green's defensive skills were a little scary. Basically the veterans players just went around him like a traffic cone. I didn't see the offensive issues others did, though at times he was late to run onto a ball. I sat near a whole bunch of people that knew him.

5) Zusi and Davis sent in some good crosses, but didn't see much of them beyond that. Same goes for Diskerud.

6) Agree with those that said that Bedoya looked a wee bit uncomfortable on the left. Can't put my finger on why - maybe because he kept drifting too far towards the middle?

Didn't see much of Gonzo and Brooks due to the side I was sitting on. Cameron looked pretty good I thought.

Didn't Jurgen speak to the crowds at previous camps? Wondo said some horribly echo-y words, and that was it.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo played pretty much all the way towards the other end of the field from me, so didn't see much of him.

Julian had some good ball movement (he's decent on the ball and passed well), but at one point defending he literally froze up, deer in headlights, shrunk in on himself, and Bedoya rolled right by him like a traffic cone. The kid just doesn't look comfortable defending. Right after that particular moment as Bedoya whizzed by, Yedlin got a little pissed (nothing monumental, he was just frustrated).

When he was being fed balls to cross in he also tended to wait rather than anticipate the ball coming to him.

I wouldn't say he was poor necessarily - his passing and ball retention I thought were good, but he still looks timid defensively and just isn't quite used to his teammates passes yet.

I forgot to mention that at one point JK yelled at Aron and Wondo about their movement towards the box and spent some time working on it.

In all seriousness, Clint looked great. You can tell he's feeling it. Couldn't get much of a read on Jozy.

12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I heard a lot of chatter that Gonzo was favoring his knee. Anyone else see that? I also wonder what Klinsmann is going to be forced to do if he's not full-strength is a week or so.

13. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really appreciate all of the reports on the practices. I will admit it has me concerned about how this team is going to pull together. Maybe, due to the spacing of the WC games, JK plans on using only his core players for all games, changing it up with only his three subs. He still has 20 days to get them working together as a team. I am anxious to see them this evening and then again on Sunday to see their progress. I think he will rue the day he let LD go home...and possibly Goodson. We shall see.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, in games like the World Cup, it doesn't take that much more than one guy to make a huge difference in the outcome of a game. Ol' Clint seems to be peaking at the right time, and he also is just a big time athlete. He shines in the spotlight. It seems that the way he is playing right now might be that little bit that pushes us across the line this time against Ghana.

orcrist repped this.
  15. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 Bora Fan, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Watched the whole session.

Best players:
    Bradley and Dempsey looked extremely sharp (great news for us.)

Worst players:
    Johannsson, Green, and Yedlin - all three seemed to struggle. Neither were super terrible - just not as sharp as the other players who will certainly start ahead of them.

Most disappointing observation:
    Julian Green didn't look very confident out there YESTERDAY or like a guy who is ready to make plays right now. Hope it changes in the next 17 days - seems like he is sitting on some great skill/talent but it didn't come out yesterday in the light practice.

Most inspiring observation:
    Jermaine Jones looked solid - put on a finishing clinic that put the other forwards to shame - and really raises the competitive level when he's on the pitch in scrimmages. You can see he really scares people - he forces errors because players know he's coming. You have to see him up close to really feel why he's ahead of Beckerman. Love Beckerman but seeing Jones up close in the flesh has finally helped me really understand why Klinsmann routinely chooses Jones.

Second and third most inspiring observation:
    Bradley is world class - there I said it. Klinsmann wasn't joking when he said that Bradley could play for Real Madrid or Barcelona etc... Bradley is playing at an entirely different level at this moment. He is quick with the ball at his feet - tidy with his touches - and smart with his choices. He also is confident going forward - unlike how he played for Roma - you can sense he has the freedom to attack now - to shoot often - and he is going to score a goal for us from the run of play like that as well as help with assists. Dempsey isn't world class - but he is a great finisher and he is in from with a chip on his shoulder and you can just see how badly he wants to score and produce for this team as it's captain.

What I took for granted - under the radar stuff:
    Cameron looked like he was part of the backline for years. Seamlessly worked with Biesler as a strong duo. Gonzalez will struggle to beat out Cameron between now and Ghana (especially because of his injury.) Cameron looks confident, strong, hungry and is a player who's powers are peaking. Biesler is tidy - and won't dilly dally - i.e. wasn't afraid to clear balls out - AYSO boot it style. He can make that safe call in one play - and then in another play a classy through ball to feet. Just seems solid. Made me feel forget about our defense as a worry - Beasley is experienced and Johnson is solid along with the central Biesler/Cameron partnership. What stood out more was the drop off rate in finishing when you move down the depth chart from Dempsey.

Overall:
    I think this team is coming together very nicely. Our key players are in top shape. I think the defense is going to be fine. If they play to their potential which I think they will - the key will be whether one other player can step up - by that I mean can Jozy add a few goals of his own v. be the post up hold it/lay it off guy - or can Bedoya deliver on his promise - or a guy like Johannsson or Green come on to a game late and prove that Klinsmann was right and Donovan was past his sell date and not as hungry or fearless or quick to produce the magic we've gotten used to him delivering every other World Cup.

bigtoga, Statman, Neuwerld and 15 others repped this.
  16. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    So the two guys with reported roster guarantees, Green and Johannsson, looked out of their depth? Nice work, Klinsmann.

All this talk about Bradley and Dempsey looking a class above. You know who else looks a class above? Donovan.

FW__, Private Entrance, Seanin and 6 others repped this.
  17. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think they were terrible i.e. out of their depth. . . they just weren't rock stars. Zussi looked better on the right side than Green and Wondo finished better than Johannsson. I've seen Johannsson play better - and Green certainly looked like he was sitting on more potential that didn't come out yesterday.

If you watched some of the clips from the March to Brazil documentary and listened to Donovan's own words - he wouldn't look any better than Johannsson and Green yesterday - and would frankly be behind in terms of expressed confidence given his pedigree (and what you would expect from him.)

I think Donovan blew it - came into camp heavier (you can see it in the videos) - came in not as sharp - you can tell by his form (recent LA Galaxy tap ins excluded) - and you can hear it in his own words where he admits he can't train 12 days - or as the most decorated player he'd be happy sitting on the bench. After all of his surprises - and poor recent performances in his last 2 call-ups at the international level. . . I'll trust Klinsmann's judgement that excluding Landon was the right call.

Klinsmann is not Bruce Arena - the team is not the LA Galaxy - and they will not tend to Landon's every fragile need - build the team around his declining 32 year old skills - or are happy to just have him back.

Statman, beerslinger23 and UPinSLC repped this.
  18. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His declining 32 year old skils, much better thatn the declining 32 year old skills of Brad Davis. Better, than the unexperience fragile Julian Green, Better than Mediocre Zusi and Bedoya.

19. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both times against Ghana he has been one of our brightest spots (scoring one goal, drawing the PK for another). It's really a good portent if he's really peaking just in time for that game. :thumbsup:

20. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we have enough threads on the Donovan cut? Is he part of the public training at Candlestick?

Guinho, Namdynamo, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 Bora Fan, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Zusi and Bedoya looked better to me in person last night than anything I've seen from Donovan over the last 6 months (granted on tv.)

Julian Green didn't look especially lost or fragile - he just didn't stand out in the group. Nobody seemed to be hitting the panic button in training - i.e. they were betting the ranch on Johannsson or Green.

Seems to me Donovan's ommission is a simple case of feeling confident that Zussi and Bedoya are ahead of Donovan at midfield - hence Donovan got listed as a forward - and then feeling like if Donovan is going to be a bench forward whether he can pull off some magic - and feeling like Wondo is more capable based on how the US will play (i.e. harder warrior/battler/get on the ends of crosses/set plays) and a guy like Johannsson can create his own shot - something that Donovan has increasingly shied away from i.e. dribbling/shooting as he's evolved into more of a passer.

I think Klinsmann did Donovan a favor by cutting him - I think based on his current form and mental healthy - he would disappoint people in either never getting off the bench or not meeting people's lofty expectations if he got in and underwhelmed.

For example - I don't see him making that same Algeria run of four years ago without pulling his hamstring trying. More importantly - I think Dempsey or Wondo will bury the first shot anyway.

22. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    How did Brad Davis look? I haven't seen any mention of his name. Sorry if I missed it.

23. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Brad Davis???

24. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Davis was ok - most players were ok if that helps calibrate other specific comments.

What I noticed about Davis was that he looked extremely fit. Lean and ready at his peak potential.

You contrast that with Landon who in the March to Brazil videos looked heavier - not saying out of shape but thicker - which could be more muscular but sill doesn't help soccer players who have to strike the right balance between being light and strong.

Thinking about how this applies to Donovan - reminds me a tad of how Clint Mathis looked when he was at the peak of his powers - pre-ACL injury #1 - when he had just moved to the then MetroStars and scored 5 goals in one game and hit the free kick v. Honduras. Just looked lean and mean. Contrast to the Cleatus of later years - the one who put in a full bar in his basement and now coaches in the Galaxy youth program.

Donovan clearly hasn't let himself go - and his body hasn't changed as drastically as Mathis' did. . . but Donovan's body has clearly changed - and he just doesn't move the same way.

Davis looked like he was in peak condition.

Winoman and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be fair about this. There were very very few people who thought Johannsson shouldn't be a lock for this roster. Sounds like from a few people that he didn't look too good at the 'Stick. Hopefully that's an anomaly, because we'll need him in some capacity in Brazil.
    Also, there are very few who think Landon should have been a lock based on form. There are plenty of other good reasons to bring him and I really wish we had, but he hasn't looked a class above since the Gold Cup. He has looked outclassed quite a bit recently with the national team and in MLS (save the other night vs. Philly). He definitely is good enough for the 23, but he's no longer a class above.