Psychological profile

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by falcon6, Feb 12, 2003.

1. I was talking about soccer to a group of people at work and this guy walks by and hears our conversation and chimes in "That ********* sport. why do you guys waste your time on that boring sport?" and then he kept walking. Nobody could believe it. It made me wonder what the psychological profile is of a soccer basher. What annoys them about the sport so much that they feel the need to constantly degrate it. Any ideas people?

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    probably the same as a person who must continually point out everything said by a deford or rome or anyone else that is anti-soccer in anyway

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably got beat up by a soccer player back in school. :D

4. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, not everyone's gonna like it or even get it, but if someone else has a shred of respect and an ounce of passion about anything, they're likely to respect and relate to your passion for the game.

only a pathetic bore would actually call soccer boring.

5. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    the guy probably has a little wiener

6. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he plays with his little balls

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    over/under on how many posts before this thread is moved?

how many names do you have?

just falcon6 and falcon06?

8. I know who you are and I know where you live.

9. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Dunno, my experience has been that anyone who bashes soccer can be pigeon-holled into two groups almost without exception; guys that were not athletic enough to matter on their own HS football teams and guys who were never athletic at all so they need a dog to kick.

The athletes I knew in HS, college, and now either politely put up with me, play indoor, or appreciate what is required to play. They may not like soccer or follow it, but they don't make an effort to bash.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    It's pretty simple actually..

A couple of things come to mind..

1) It's not an American invented sport..

2) Lack of scoring...

3) You can't use your hands (except the keeper of course)...

All of these things I have heard time and again are the reason why soccer is not given much of a chance by most sports fans in this country.. It you look at it objectively, the're right.. On the surface, it isn't that appealing..

But, I am one of the fortunate souls who can look past all of that pretentiousness and can appreciate the beauty and grace of the game.. Soccer by far is my #1 sport of choice and I'm proud of it.. If others choose not to participate or even care for that matter, it's their loss, not mine..

All this, courtesy of a guy who has not missed a Redskins game live or on TV since 1973.. Also, I'm a huge Maryland Terrapins hoops and football fan and I root for the Wizards and Caps as well.. It is quite possible to be all of these things and a soccer mad fool as well.. I consider myself quite fortunate in this regard....

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Psychological profile

I believe that bashers are intimidated by soccer and as it gains in popularity, they feel their "big three" threatened. As kids now have a pro league to aspire to play in, less and less kids will leave soccer once they hit junior high, etc, causing the dinosaurs to bitch about declining littel league attendances...

It isnt so much that they hate the sport itself, but what it represents, a changing of the guard.. Plus, most Americans cant really like something when they arent automatically the best at it.....

12. Stomper

Stomper New Member

Feb 20, 2003
    OKC, OK
    One of the biggest arguments I've heard from obviously ignorant people is that there is no strategy involved in soccer. Usually someone says "It's just a bunch of guys kicking a ball back and forth." When I try to explain strategy, formations, etc. to them, they just get a dumb look on their face & call soccer communist. The thing that really gets me is that it's almost always a baseball fan that calls soccer boring. Explain that to me?!

They fear that which they do not understand

13. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    i still say that the schmuck from the original post has a little ding dong

14. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    (:)D))

15. You could say that again. Everytime i hear someone's drivel about soccer being boring it is always from people who sit through 4 hour games of baseball. I find fans of other sports to not be nearly as bad. Just look at Lupica and Deford. They are prime examples of this. They wax poetic about a double play and bash soccer at every chance.

16. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    or golf... I have nothing against baseball or golf, but just dont use the "boring"" arguement with me, and then tell me how you love watching PGA...

17. SoccerApe

SoccerApe New Member

F*** them, they're scared,they're dying out.

18. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I happen to love America's pasttime. I, myself, wax poetic about 10 inning 1-0 nailbiters, about managers that know what some dude's batting average is against lefties, at night, on grass, indoors, etc. I also really like Princeton v Penn style b-ball games, and 9-7 football games. I just prefer Soccer. Something about really, really earning your points makes a game that much more exciting. Before soccer, though, I was a full-on Baseball fanatic. We're not all idiots.

19. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As a current Chicago Bulls fan I've learned that even in basketball some teams really have to struggle to earn points. I'm happy if they can break into double digits.

Your typical soccer basher is your stereotypical American... no patience and no time for the subtleties and nuances of the game.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each his own. Some people can sit for 4 hours and watch a baseball game while discussing the finer points of the designated hitter rule and why it should/shouldn't exist. I cannot watch an entire baseball game, even with a couple of beers at Wrigley on a beautiful day. Getting up to take a piss adds some action to the day at least. However, at the same time I have no problem sitting for two hours watching the Sunday round of a PGA tournament.

It simply is a love and understanding for the game in question. I have played both golf and soccer my whole life and understand, appreciate, and enjoy the nuances of both games, but could care less about the beauty of a sacrifice fly.