PSV vs. Arsenal [R] Pre/Post Match (Champion's League)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is not good timing. PSV is soaring in the Dutch Eredivise and AFC are not playing their best footie. Maybe the stars are falling into place to make this a fantastic CL match-up? Who knows, but something needs to be done with the mood of the club. I pray that Lord Dennis makes the trip back to Holland to aid the Gunners if need be.

My prediction is a 1-1 result. I truly don't know the strength of the Dutch Eredivise this season, but I KNOW that Arsenal can do much much better.

Up the Arsenal!

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    shouldnt you be getting everything set for the spanish derby??? cmon patrick.. we all know you are barca thru n thru and couldnt care a less bout the arsenal.. or if you do, then its poser fanship by me~

COME ON ARSENAL!! lets do the job in eindhoven and get thru this mess...
    i find it bogus that catfish starts our threads for games when he truly supports a catalan club~ just my opinion~
    cheers

3. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    PSV 3 - 1 Arsenal
    i been good with my predictions this season

prove me wrong plz

4. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm tired of making predictions. I wont see the game, but when I get home on Wednesday night I hope to see that Arsenal went ahead 1-0, and pushed for a second goal instead of getting burned like it seems to do every week. Get a win guys... the season could hang on this result.

5. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    i have no faith in a win at the moment, but it's what we have to get, right? oh lord... please prove me wrong, boys...

6. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Both of my teams aren't in the best of form at the moment. Please, somebody, do something to put a smile on my face.

7. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Apparently Venegoor of Hesadhdfpigohadpoigh broke his shoulder today. As much as I hate to see anyone get hurt I think I just heard a tall bald man breathe a sigh of relief.

Still, I'm not too keen on this match. I know alot of posters around here look down on American players but Beasley has been on fire. Ralph may be able to knock him down but he can't come close to DMB's pace and everything I've read seems to indicate that his ball skills and tactical acumen have greatly improved in the short time he's been in Holland. This game has a lot of potential to be embarassing.

8. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Sorry to correct you but it should be 'th' not 'gh'.

9. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    I think if we lose or draw we r out of the tournament.

Come on the Gunners. Let's see ur true way of playing football and thrash their dutch backsides.

No1ArsenalFan

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes

Game thread stuck

11. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is the possibility that DB10 makes the trip overland....then I read that he got a knock on his Achilles vs. WBA and that AW is going to give him a fitness test.

this is a true mental test of Arsenal's reserve.

12. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so Sol's out and Bergie got a knock in Saturday's match-Anyone else not able to make the trip? And since Edu signed a new contract do you think he will start and if that will improve his work rate?

13. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Not with a broken toe he won't, shame though, we could do with him.

14. JCGooner

JCGooner New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Must win - time to show some resolve, a clean sheet would be nice also, or maybe that's asking too much. I'd be very tempted to throw Senderos in there, I know it would be a baptism of fire but can he really be any worse than Cygan - mentally I also think the team is being affected by Cygan's presence. One piece of "good" news is PSV will be without Venegoor of Hesselhink. Come on Arsenal. time to get it done!

15. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    Is a draw a decent result?

16. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    I don't think you guys realize how important this game is, it's win or bust.

17. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    i thought a draw wouldn't kill us. i wish we could maybe change the formation around and play around our injuries, but i have probably no clue what i am talking about. my hope is that flaumini is better for cover and that we can get through this game. defense is important also, but striking is more important than our midfield even.

let's just outscore them (sp*rs, boro)

18. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    well, its the entire transfer kitty.... not progressing in the CL would hurt us tremendously financially~

probably just stating the obvious.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A draw wouldn't kill us but it would put more pressure on the squad for the Rosenborg match.

20. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you have ESPN Deportes the match will be on at 10pm PST.

A draw won't put us completely out, but we really need to get the win this week. Come on Arsenal!

Arsenal 2 - 1 PSV

21. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the crucial turning point for the season. A win locks in our advance to the knock-out stage of CL. It will also provide great momentum for the push through the holiday season of the EPL.

Arsenal needs to dig deep and come back with 3 pts!!

Come on Gunners!

22. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    In terms of advancement it would depend on other results.

In terms of our current form, well, I don't really want to answer that.

23. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's look at the possibilities.
    Current standings:

Group E
    Clubs Pld W D L GS GA Pts

PSV 4 3 0 1 4 2 9
    Arsenal 4 1 3 0 5 4 6
    Panathinaikos 4 1 2 1 5 5 5
    Rosenborg 4 0 1 3 3 6 1

Remaining games:
    PSV v Arsenal
    Rosenborg v Panathinaikos
    Arsenal v Rosenborg
    Panathinaikos v PSV.

We win, Rosenborg win = We advance.

We win, Panathinaikos win = Tied for 1st with PSV but Pana can pass us on last day if they win and we lose or draw. They could also tie us with a draw and us losing and then it depends on tie breakers.

We win they draw = Tied with PSV for 1st, but Pana can tie us on last day if they win and we lose.

We draw, Rosenborg win = PSV advance and Pana can pass us on last day if they win and we lose. Rosenborg could advance if they win against us and PSV beat Pana.

We draw, Panathinaikos win = We fall to third one point behind Pana. Big trouble.

We draw, they draw = We still hold 2nd a point ahead of Pana. PSV advances. Still trouble as a draw or loss against Rosenborg in December and we could fail to advance. Pana playing a PSV squad already through at home would likely win so we’d probably need a win on the last day against an eliminated Rosenborg to advance.

We lose, Rosenborg win = PSV advance. Again this favors Pana as they likely win at home on last day, forcing us to do the same to advance. Rosenborg could still advance if they beat us and Pana doesn’t beat PSV.

We lose, Panathinaikos win = PSV advance. We fall to third 2 points behind Pana who again would play PSV’s B team on the last day. We likely don’t advance even with a win over eliminated Rosenborg on the last day but could if Pana loses or draws.

We lose, they draw = PSV advance. We are tied with Pana on 6 points. Last matchday decides which of us goes through with Pana playing a qualified PSV and us facing an eliminated Rosenborg.

Rough Order of preference:
    We win, Rosenborg win
    We win they draw
    We win, Panathinaikos win
    We draw, they draw
    We lose, they draw
    We draw, Rosenborg win
    We lose, Rosenborg win
    We draw, Panathinaikos win
    We lose, Panathinaikos win

24. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    We don't want to draw this match! A win means qualification will be in our own hands, while a draw will throw us to the lions of other results. That will be really bad for the morale of the team and is the last thing we need hanging over us, when our domestic form isn't that great!

On paper I see this match as a grind! It's been a busy couple of weeks and we have lost a little sharpness and a little pace. Together that spells big trouble because those two things are the sum total of our edge! If all were well, I'd be asking and hoping for PSV's pitch to be large, but as things stand I'm hoping that it's as tight as Highbury.

I think we should keep things tight and grind out the odd goal by attrition! Play a 5 man midfield, With Reyes left mid and Super Bob the extra body in the middle. JAR has got the nod over RP7 recently because of the defensive side of his game and having them both in the middle should make us a little less leaky but still with enormous potential on the break. FL8 needs to be more selective in going forward and no DB10 for me; he's better in a game where we're getting stuck in and, the way we've been conceding, we can't afford to play that way tomorrow. JAR, PV4 & RP7 are all capable of providing a killer long ball for Titi to steal a winner off the shoulder of the last man! No tricks, no flicks, no extra touches in the box, just a one on one between TH14 and their goalie will do me fine!

I'm looking for 0-1 to the Arsenal or 1-3, coz after getting the first we catch em with a couple of sucker punches and they get a consolation in the dying moments. Here's hoping?

Dig deep you Gunners!!!

25. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle
    I tend to believe that JAR is in midfield because he's tired of getting his legs kicked routinely when he plays forward; I think he feels safer there, until some referee actually has the balls to call a foul for Persistent Infringement after the fourth foul or so on the poor lad.

The long ball won't work with a 5 man midfield. Certainly not in a 4-5-1 Who's going to get in the box? Henry? The aerial threat of TH14 makes seasoned defenders fall over with laughter. If PSV double marks him the whole game (I suspect they will), someone will have to step up on the right side.

We'll see. I have serious doubts about this game. I hope Le Boss starts Robin Van Persie, just so that PSV have a target; he'd be a perfect decoy...