PSV rules

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by freekicker, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool is a bigger club in the US than Chelsea, and we didnt even get a mention. :(

2. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    how did rangers and celtic get mixed in there.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    in the US, the 10 most supported european clubs are likely some order of AJAX, celtic, manU, liverpool, arsenal, real madrid, bayern, milan, west ham and lazio or juve

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Enough already....

5. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    There I stand quite corrected - my fault on that. Liverpool does get quite a mention.

Nevertheless, when talking about 'big' clubs and all that, Celtic and Rangers most likely have pathetic UEFA coefficients. Nevertheless they are 'big' clubs here in North America - for example when Celtic played Roma in an exhibition game this summer in the Skydome, the 53000 tickets were sold out 4 months in advance. When Liverpool played 2 days later, these tickets were also sold out. If PSV were playing, they wouldn't sell out.

Also, look at the estimated financial worth of some of these clubs - you will see that PSV is worth less than Ajax, and you will also see (suprisingly, perhaps) that Tottenham FC, Rangers FC and Celtic are in the top. Again, another measure of being a 'big' club.

In summary: being a 'big' club does not necessarily mean that you have to be a good club on the pitch. The size of a club (at least in my eyes) is dictated by the size of the following worldwide, and to a lesser extent, the perceived valuation of the club.

6. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    how do u know it sold out because it was celtic or because it was a roma match? I'm sure PSV match would have sold out if they played against the same opponent. and i still have a hard time believing celtic and rangers are the two of the most popular teams in the US, and as bludaddy said, they are the the two of the three most popular teams in the US.

so you're going to start saying money and commerciazlization is what matters? it is quite easy to make your club big then.. you just have to put a lot of money into advertising.

7. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Toronto has a large amount of 1st and 2nd generation Scots. Every suburb and within the city itself seems to have a Celtic supporter's club and a Rangers supporter's club. The game against the GialloRosso drew mainly from the Scottish group. Granted there was an Italian contingent, but I assume that they were there more to see Totti than Roma - the big clubs supported in Woodbridge and on College Street (the heavy Italian communities) are Juventus (big surprise) and AC Milan.

8. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This thread is great, it's fun to see the exact same agruments here that happen with rival clubs all over the world regardless of the sport. As an impartial observer I'll throw my 2 cents in, who has the most trophies? In American we call that type of smack, scoreboard. I mean, titles are what it's all about right?, you really can't agrue against success or history. So which Dutch club has the best history?(off hand I don't know the exact numbers, but I have a really good idea).

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

not even close...

AJAX - 29 dutch titles, 4 champions leage, 1 uefa cup, 1 cup winners cup, 15 dutch cups, 3 european super cups, 2 world club cups

psv - 17 dutch titles, 1 champions league, 1 uefa cup, 7 dutch cups

10. Duniyadnd

Duniyadnd New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Quite lovely stats, I could look at it all day.

But I'll have to go against fellow Ajax fans to say that PSV is the dominant club at the moment, for the past three to four months.. Ajax just don't have the consistency nor do I believe the maturity to go to where they ought to reach. Maybe when we get players during the winter break.

But to say that PSV is greater than Ajax in their history? I won't even bother replying to that...

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

of course, AJAX are inferior to psv right now - i thought they were arguing who was a "big club" and who was not :D

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

... and so it begins :D

13. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Let's wait for the result against NEC ;)

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

im just talking about feyenoord - sure didn't take 'em long offer up a stinker

15. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Let's hope Feyenoord continue today's form. We might even end up in second place...

16. S H LEE 13

S H LEE 13 New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Rochester MN
    Actually out here in america, theres a shop that has its own PSV section. No Ajax section. Its in rochester, MN. ever heard of that?? doubt it. Theres a PSV fanclub here in Minnesota. Thats more than can be said for Ajax here.

17. S H LEE 13

S H LEE 13 New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Rochester MN
    Theyre not

18. S H LEE 13

S H LEE 13 New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Rochester MN

I know this isnt a very well known fact, but Canada and America arent all that similar. Look at our Int'l team. Black guys, White guys, hispanics. America is a little more diverse, according to my aunt who lives in fernie, British Columbia

19. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Your aunt smokes crack then - or she has never set foot in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, BC for that matter.

20. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Thank-you! Someone who finally understands that UEFA coefficient rankings are not the be-all, end-all of what constitutes a 'big' club! :D

21. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Ajax the cleaning products are indeed good quality although Ajax team sucks

22. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Since I don't like any of these clubs am I bad person? :(

23. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Oh most definitely. :D

24. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Excuse me while I crawl into a hole and die. :eek:

25. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    sometimes even emoticons dont work well - just to make it clear, I was joking. :)