PSV + racism = walk-off

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Teso Dos Bichos, Nov 23, 2004.

1. The Canandien WizKid

Oct 11, 2004
    Mississauga, ont, Ca
    its that international human rights code...blah blah blah. But "reasonable degree" can be interpretted differently for each county, on premise, as reason has alot to do with the people as apposed to the law.

2. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Does any one know why there has been such an upturn in racist behavior in European football? Apparently, UEFA's Fight Against Racism campaign has not met with universal approval. What is truly appalling is that a shocking amount of this despicable behavior is taking place in places like England, Spain, Holland, and France, the continent's supposed bastions of liberalism and tolerance. I generally pay little attention to FIFA's German president's musings, but I must applaud him on his willingness to support teams who would walk off the pitch in the event that their non-white players are subjected to monkey noises and such like. However, I think both UEFA and FIFA can go one step further in eradicating the problem by doing things like hitting offending teams with hefty fines (starting in 500,000 pound-range), deducting points, and at worse, forcing them to play a minimum of two games behind closed doors. I can already hear people saying such measures are a bit extreme and penalizes innocent spectators, but this current trend risks defacing the Beautiful Game. With larger numbers of Africans and South Americans emigrating to Europe every year to prove themselves in the world's toughest, most demanding leagues, something has to be done quickly. Ignoring the problem could mean that full-blown race riots could become the norm in Europe's football stadiums. A none too appetizing prospect, if you ask me...

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can say whatever you like as long as you don't break any laws. There are laws against racisim in this country, hence the law decides what is allowed to be said. The free speech argument cannot prevail over the right of people to be free from racist abuse.

I for one soji, don't think those punishments go far enough. For the individuals, if they are proved to be spouting racist abuse at players (or anyone else for that matter) they should be locked up. It's stupid enough to do as I can't think of a team that doesn't have a black player in their ranks, so it's hypocritical at best. If we could make sure that they share a cell with a big black guy who, to quote Mr. Marsellus Wallace, will get "Medieval on their ass", even better. The clubs, if found to be doing nothing about the problem should be banned from European competition for a year. That should focus their minds on the problem. Drastic, yes. Draconian even, yes. Required, definitely yes.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    planetfootball article

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    BBC article

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Some key comments from the above articles:

"I'd tell him that is the wrong thing to do," said Wenger. "Who is going to take responsibility if you have 20 people killed outside the stadium?"

"If you say to supporters 'we'll cancel the game if you cause trouble' then, maybe, some of them will try to create a problem."

"If you are losing at home, the racist chants would then come out and when would you ever finish a game?"

"It could easily have happened that night in Rome. I found it very cowardly at that time not to continue with the game."

"For me, it was completely the wrong decision and I still do not think it is right to take the teams off the pitch."

"I hope there will be no trouble at all in Eindhoven. But if the referee says we must go off, then that is what we will do."

"I do not make the rules, I can only accept them and respect them."

"But it does not look to be a solution with any reasonable outcome because we have a job to entertain the people who have paid to come and watch the game."

"At least 90 percent of those supporters don't chant racist abuse and we have to respect those people rather than the small minority."

And confirmation from UEFA: "A Uefa spokesman said: "Our rules have always given referees power to stop a game if it was felt the abuse exceeded acceptable levels."

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Another rant from Wenger. He's against the authorities yet again. Hmm... :D

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really have a hard on for Wenger this morning. His comments that you cite are not much different than some of the concerns other people in this thread have already expressed. I don't agree with everything he says but it's hardly a rant.

9. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    anti-muslim chants? why, what's happening in holland?

10. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    If this isn't a joke you should really learn to use google or some other search engine before making yourself look stupid in public again.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I had a bad night. :(

12. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I think you meant ignorant, not stupid.

13. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Well.... I wouldn't have to make myself look stupid, if your post made any sense.

If you're referring to Iraq, let me remind you this is Europe not USA.

14. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    don't be an ass. some people don't watch the news because they don't care, or haven't had time or whatever... let it go.

this is what's happening in holland:
    Dutch parliament member Geert Wilders talks about his contentious plan to shut down Muslim immigration for five years. His comments have generated death threats from Islamic extremists, forcing him into hiding.