PSG vs FC Porto [R] CL

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 18, 2004.

1. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Bad game by FC Porto, we lost the game in 2 minutes and then only individualities and no team spirit, this is what happens to a team with so many yougsters when you are loosing.
    We still have 3 games but we need at least to get 2 victories, the way we have been playing in CL i am afraid our chances are very small, but lets see what happens.

2. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Yes, of course we made 13 games in CL and lost one and lift the trophy, only because the help of refs.
    Obviously regarding the MU game you forgot that the goal that MU scored in Portugal came after an unexistent foul, but thats ok.

3. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Nobody asked you for anything, you can and should do what you think is better for you, but if you don´t have nothing positive or constructive to add in this discussion why bother posting?

4. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    You saw 20 or 30 FC Porto fans at the airport and you say all the FC Porto fans are the same.
    FC Porto was at maximum 19 years without winning the league not 30, yes we will loose all of our fans lol, we were 19 years without winning the league and after that guess what 2 CL 13 leagues et etc etc, so i don´t think we are going to loose supporters unlike Benfica or Sporting, because the fans of this clubs only tasted european success in the times of black and white TV...
    Sorry to say this but now i understand the number of posts you have in 5 years...

5. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    What does my amount posts has to do with your sorry team? Typical Porto fan. Trying yo devert attention from the real problem. Your team sucks, just like your president.

Why should I root for Porto? Half of teh team is not even Portuguese, the coach is a spaniard and if it was to PC ,Portugal would have been split in half

6. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Serie A has a rule that stipulaets that all referees retire at the age of 45. therefore when he reaches the age of 45 he can not referree in Italy anymore and since he will not belong to a European league he can not ref. Eufa or Fifa sanctioned games. It is the Italian rule that dictates his availability for international competitions.

Having said that I heard that The English were tring to get Colina to move to England and ref there, they would give him the credentials to belong to the FA. I have not heard if he accepted that offer has he would have to leave his lucrative Accounting business.

7. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    It has been said that we were at this forum we will and should cheer, root or otherwise support our Opponents (of the superliga) when they are competing in international competition, the reason we do this is because of our love for the Portuguese style of Futebol, and also to ensure that the Portuguese futebol gains enough credibility to compete against other bigger leagues. The other reason is because your heritage if it Portuguese demands it. When Sporting last year lost right at the biginning of the Uefa there was a regret from this forum because we knew that cold and would hurt POrtuguese teams standings.
    But I realise that the selfish attitudes of some of the more unmature posters makes impossible to support all our teams, and i feel sorry for that. None the less I will still support cheer and otherwise support Benfica when they play in international competition, not because of your post but just because.

8. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I smell anger. Brian as much respect as I have gained for you in these last months reading your posts, in one fell swoop you succeded in lowering that respect. let me tel you why
    First I agree I do enjoy my watching my rivals go down, in the league whether they play my team or not. But i do not get a kick or a smile when those same opponents lose in international competition.

Second it is not dictatorship it is a sence of pride and honour you may be "American" but from your name you heritage is Portuguese, and if ther is something that we as Canadian respect about the Americans is that heritage/nationalistic pride, of which you show none. the "Americans were not playing.

About the Phoney bit, the One being Phoney here is you, I realise that the reason you are being so antagonistic against FC Porto is because of the recent Derby final, I honestly believe that if the outcome had been different then, your comments now would have been different. So go ahead and root for the English because they show the games in your area, I do the same thing the differnce is i will never disrepect my culture and Heritage, by rooting for the opposition

these were my dois escudos

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know I'm not in this but I know a lot of Portista's who wanted Benfica in the CL. For me I admit I dislike Benfica and would put any Portuguese team (Especially BRAGA!) ahead of them and Sporting in the Portuguese league or any tourney, But I put Benfica ahead of any team outside of Portugal I felt genuinely bad for Benfica and their fans when they were eliminated

10. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Right now I'm still trying to get over this devastating loss to PSG. Us Porto fans have really been spoiled with all the success the last couple of years. We must accept the fact that this is the first year of rebuilding. All the talent in the world, but we need to be patient. 3 games left so I'm not ready to give up yet without a fight!

Despite the absolute shameless behavior of SOME not all Benfica fans on here, I still do wish Benfica and Sporting nothing but the best in UEFA. And no, I'm not being 'Phoney" I do mean it. Like it or not, at the moment Porto is the only team from Portugal that has gotten any respect (and even that has been tough to come by. We had to win a UEFA Cup and then also the CL) therefore with Porto's current problems, Portuguese liga futebol's reputation is gonna suffer a serious loss of respect in the football world.

We need all Portuguese clubs competing in Europe to do well. If Benfica fans wanna take out their frustrations by cheering against Porto in CL contests so be it. But just realise how much it shows your insecurity in your own team as well as the utter jealousy you have of FCP.

Having said all that, I do wish SLB luck today in their match.

11. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    I was very happy when Porto won the UEFA and LC Cup. On one of my posts I said I respect Porto as an organization. However, the team does not get the respect they deserve because of their management. What was the last tiem your heard PC say that the other team was better, specially in national competitions?

Right now Porto is what Benfica was in the past, but the way PC acts, makes people hate the team. Prime example,look at the Yankees, why do some much people hate them, they BUY champioships and because of George Steinbrenner. Same thing with Porto, they buy champioonships and PC is a hated person

12. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I respect that reason and agree with you. The Point thought, would be that if there was an international competition in Baseball and The Yankees were playing a foreign team, I know that most American Yankee haters would still give the Yankees their support, because they are an American team.

I agree with you on the Buying Campionship thing though, and that is why in the Superliga I will never support Porto........or Benfica. They both try to buy Championships. Of the big three only Supporting seems to create homegrown talent, for a while before they sell out. :)

13. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA

its a ********in disgrace

14. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    wow your entitled to your opinion but man I so disagree. And please If your gona tell people to stop with the dictatorship please do yourself and not tell people who realy do root for ANY Portuguese team to "Look in the mirror" as if were lying or something because I for one am not.

15. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    That's fine. And, I said it before, they're are people who genuinely wish other teams well, even their most hated rivals. And, there are some who don't. I'm just one of the many who comes out and admits it. I rooted for Maritimo and was even more disappointed with their tactic in this year's UC qualifier. Why go on the road and try to defend a 1-0 first match lead when one away goal will put you through? Anyway, that's bringing me off topic.

It is a dictatorship when someone posts on this board that you must support all Portuguese teams no matter what so that it benefits the Superliga. I choose not to support Porto. What's the problem with that? Oh boo hoo. They don't help Benfica get an automatic spot. Oh no. I even tell this to my friends. If Benfica wants a Champions League spot, then win the Superliga. Same goes for any other team.

First, how dare you say, that I'm disrespecting my heritage cos I don't support Porto. That is facism. You don't know me. I love my heritage and love my roots. Not supporting a team that you've loathed after years and years and years of questionable calls and silly antics by it's "president" is the reason why I can't stand Porto anymore and not because of this past derby. That game just added more fuel to the fire, it wasn't the sole reason.

By the way, I do support both national teams. My country and the country of my heritage. In World Cup 02, I didn't mind the outcome between USA-PORTUGAL. I wanted both teams to go through.

Growing up here, I used to catch the EPL games on ESPN when they would run a game of the week on Mondays at 7.30. And, from that time until today I've watched that league and support many more of their teams over Porto any day. So, this makes me what? Anti-Portuguese? Ok, Hitler, send me to Auschwitz.

that was my 50 cents

16. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    ok one cattle car comin up!

im problem gona get carded for that one

17. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Here

[​IMG]

Now go preach somewhere else.

18. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
  19. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    That is a good one.

20. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    hey at least the red sox won

21. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Go Sox
    I can't stand............. Baseball
    Honestly there as to be something better to do for four hours than watching someone trow a ball and then see if someone else can hit it with the stick.

22. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I was pulling for them yesterday but I think they will still blow it in the final :rolleyes:

If only they were playing the cubs..then the 2 curses would cancel each other out.

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Anybody knows if the game will be cover in the USA or Canada?

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Pedro Emanuel and Hugo Almeida on the roster for the second game

Pedro Emanuel e Hugo Almeida convocados
    Sem poder contar com Luís Fabiano e Pepe, os mais recentes lesionados que se juntam a Costinha, Hugo Leal e Nuno Valente, o técnico do FC Porto chamou hoje aos convocados o defesa Pedro Emanuel, já recuperado, e o avançado Hugo Almeida, para a partida com o PSG amanhã no Dragão.

Os 19 convocados:

Guarda-redes: Vítor Baía e Nuno.

Defesas: Areias, Jorge Costa, Pedro Emanuel, Ricardo Costa e Seitaridis.

Médios: Bosingwa, Carlos Alberto, César Peixoto, Diego, Maniche e Raul Meireles.

Avançados: McCarthy, Hélder Postiga, Derlei, Quaresma, Maciel e Hugo Almeida.

25. simao20

simao20 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    SoCal
    I just checked on soccertv.com and deportes have the porto game live earlier than all the other matches. I thought they were all played the same time.

Nevermind... the chelsea game is on earlier not porto