News: PSG 2016 - 2017 Ligue 1 and domestic cup match thread

Discussion in 'Paris Saint Germain' started by StarrMatthieu, Aug 28, 2016.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That surreal scene when Aurier didnt feel bothered to put on his socks when Meunier got injured and was trying to come off. How is that guy still at PSG? What a dickhead.

2. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, I have no idea what the F that was about. So strange.

Hopefully Meunier is ok. He was actually a great acquisition, IMO.

3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Nice drew today so if we win tomorrow we have a little more separation ... if we win. Monaco is on the road so dare to dream they stumble w/ a UCL hangover ... and if we win. Seeing a pattern there?

Missing form the squad (saves space):

Missing :
    AUGUSTIN Jean-Kévin (reserves)
    CALLEGARI Lorenzo (reserves)
    DESCAMPS Rémy (reserves)
    GEORGEN Alec (reserves)
    KIMPEMBE Presnel (suspension)
    KRYCHOWIAK Grzegorz (training)
    LO CELSO Giovani (training)
    MEUNIER Thomas (treatment)

http://www.psg.fr/en/News/003001/Article/79553/Le-groupe-parisien

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    1/3 of the domestic treble at stake tomorrow (that's all that is left now -- bitter) squad coming back from International break looks strong, Marquinhos and Krychowiak listed as training and Augustin w/ reserves (shouldn't Aurier be in the doghouse after 'sock-gate')? ;>)

http://www.psg.fr/en/News/003001/Article/79677/Le-groupe-parisien

5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Great start but miles to go before they sleep. Announcer may not know that you are not offside if you are behind the ball even if you are (slightly) in front of the player passing it.

6. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Huge performance from Di Maria and Cavani against Monaco.

Pandore repped this.
  7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Cavani can at times miss some easy ones but today he made a couple really difficult shots look easy - man of the match not for the game winning goal but for things of beauty that put it away.

The one announcer was very annoying (over and over) about the correct no offside call, their own graphic showed only arms ahead of the ball and those don't count because they can't play the ball.Their own picture that he was commenting on showed them (head, legs, feet, torso) even with the ball and even is on.

8. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope this is enough to save Emery.

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Win the league and all might be forgiven.

10. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    People talking about Emery getting sacked. If the team continues this play can't see them sacking him despite the catalonia catastrophe. Could see PSG getting a trouble. Monaco have too much going on. I could see Monaco winning the UCL. Their goal scoring power is top notch but teams have been exposing them at the back.

Fabinho is super important to this team as we saw Saturday. PSG deserved this win.

11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    It has been almost 24 hours so it is probably not a spoiler to reveal that they ground out another win on the road with Angers SCO. The problem is that even if they win out everything from now to the end Monaco needs to lose or draw twice and they don't control that. They are still somewhat positive, Verratti said he would rather win the league in a battle like this year than the way they did last year -- if they do it may mean more.
    Maybe it is just me but sometimes when they are playing it looks as if their heart maybe isn't fully in it, like they are mourning the loss of a close loved one (UCL)? Missing the Brazilians in back is also not what they need for confidence. Another match already on Tuesday away to Metz. Allez Paris!

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Monaco gave us AMPLE opportunities to take over the #1 spot in Ligue Un... PSG simply failed to capitalize every time.

Honestly, this is shaping up to be a bitter(sweet?) season.

13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Wondering how Monaco and PSG end up on one side of the CDF bracket (playing Wednesday) with Angers SCO and Guingamp on the other side (playing tomorrow), seems like a semi-final equivalent of a final (not to jinx the team that goes through).

Also in the league we're tied with Monaco but not really, they have a much better goal difference and a match in hand ... we're still waiting for them to stumble and not in control of our destiny except to "keep on winning".

http://www.psg.fr/en/News/003001/Article/80042/Di-Maria-Keep-on-winning

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Monaco's starting lineup is pretty sad. Mostly guys who have barely played all year. They are basically handing the match to PSG. Even Pierre Menes isnt happy about it.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    To me the FFF should investigate and potentially sanction Monaco, their spot could have been given to a team that would have played a full strength squad and not disrespected the game and their opponent. If they don't feel they have the depth to compete in multiple competitions should they be in them?
    Having said that I still hope to see them beat Atletico Madrid in the UCL final. ;>)

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I saw a stat where Cavani has played the most minutes for PSG and 6 Monaco players have played more minutes than him.

17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I was going off what the announcer said about using reserve players and "calling up" apparent part-timers, something maybe appropriate in early rounds but to me disrespectful in a 1/2 final.

18. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If we did what Monaco done the media would be all over it. What a joke

Will be funny if Monaco get dumped out of the CL semi's and we win the league.

19. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    2-0 down at Nice . This season has been a huge failure .

Coupe de la Ligue and potentially Coupe de France isn't what was expected . Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer because I think they'll be massive changes

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Welp...

Doesn't matter how much $$$ they throw at this club, the Front Office staff and Tacticians at this club have failed again... massively.

21. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    #196 lefutur, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Because its the teams that have better team unity that are winning this season. I've been saying it for some time, PSG doesnt have the team history and team pride to expect the players to be more than mercenaries if they are only playing at the club for the paycheck. Maybe its time to not continually throw endless cash and expect a different result each time. Find a good balance between superstars and players who are devoted to the club.

Perfect example: You have Thiago Silva talking about how he doesnt want PSG to finish in 3rd place because it would mean less vacation (no automatic CL qualification) . https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Act...tastrophique-on-aurait-peu-de-vacances/797702

That's just amazing to me. It's like he doesnt even realize that's not how other footballers talk about playing for their club.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, but thats due to our ridiculous transfer policies and that's stemming all the way back to Leonardo.. I've always wished PSG would invest that money back into prying away the more younger elite French talent from around Ligue Un.. The Ousmanes, Aubameyangs, Lemars, Cypriens.. players who would understand what it means to represent Paris on the field.. You really think PSG would go out and sign Koziello before they try and foolishly sign someone like Ozil?

23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Not saying I would agree if it happens, or that it will happen, but Emery may be skating on some thin ice -- re. the old adage that says you can't change all the players so you have to change managers.

Seems to me that beyond Ibrahimovic being a star he was also the mortar that held things together. Thiago Silver is clearly a 'leader of men' but it is hard to lead from the back, Cavani, Verratti and Di Maria (& a few others) are all 'world class' players but maybe not the types that make everyone around them better. Call it the X2 factor, Zlatan had it in Paris, no one else has stepped up with it since he left. Yesterday was a mini version of that second leg match with Barca, no one knew what to do and that's what they did.

24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I hope they sign Aubameyang this offseason.

25. Wai93

Wai93 Member

May 11, 2015
    Malaysia
    I don't agree and support on the sacking of Emery, he should be getting at least another year to get his thing turned around.